SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Except that you were complaining that the "program is going to be in scramble mode" if Schmaltz waits until August.  You weren't originally discussing the nuances of enrolling in college, so I'm not certain what your last comment has to do with anything.

By program, I meant coaches trying to help by doing leg work at UND while the recruit is scrambling to get on campus. Sorry, forgot that everything has to be taken literal on a forum.

7 minutes ago, snova4 said:

By program, I meant coaches trying to help by doing leg work at UND while the recruit is scrambling to get on campus. Sorry, forgot that everything has to be taken literal on a forum.

Sure ya did.

So, Schmaltz is making a bush league play and putting the program into scramble mode because some kid who just found out he gets the opportunity to play for UND has a few less weeks to enroll in his 100-level general courses. ???

Yep, sure ya did.  ;) 

1 hour ago, snova4 said:

There's more to starting college courses than a phone call a week before classes start.

50 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Sure ya did.

So, Schmaltz is making a bush league play and putting the program into scramble mode because some kid who just found out he gets the opportunity to play for UND has a few less weeks to enroll in his 100-level general courses. ???

Yep, sure ya did.  ;) 

I probably am quoting the wrong people. Sorry guys. But about the whole "scrambling" thing... 

Everyone is talking about scramble mode because we had a kid pull out late in the summer (JT Miller). While not ideal, the problem then was that none of our committed recruits were age eligible for college to bring in early. So we pulled in Gaarder. I think that experience made the coaches reassess recruiting and making sure there was always a plan. They have a plan for who is coming in if so-and-so decides to go. For example, Poganski came in ahead of schedule because Grimaldi turned pro. If Nick decides to leave, they probably already know which recruit is coming in to take the roster spot. 

14 minutes ago, hrkac said:

Brad Berry and Schmaltz are in complete communication in this situation.  The coach will not be blindsided by his decision either way and already has a back-up plan. 

Absolutely correct.  Chicago has a glut of Centers right now, but Nick can also play right wing.  The Andrew Shaw situation will be informing for Nick.

Kruger, Fleischmann, Panik, and Shaw stand in the way of the NHL...Vinestroza and Motte also will be making a run at the NHL... If Chicago moves one or more of those guys, and Nick stands out at camp...well, hard to say "no" for Nicky.  

38 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I still think he could use one more year to get bigger faster and stronger and to work on his shot. If he can get a real deadly wrister he could be the best player in the nation.

So you think he could beat out Boeser, do ya?:)

3 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Sure ya did.

Yep, sure ya did.  ;) 

Well, maybe UND isn't exactly the high class institution I thought it was then. I know when I went to college, everything had to be signed up for months in advance. I don't exactly know the star dates of class, but when posters are talking about a guy waiting until August to make up his mind, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time. Like I said a long way back, I rather doubt he takes that long, and I'm not foolish enough to believe that he's not in communication with Berry, like someone implied, but you can take what i meant any way you'd like. I'll make sure to write it in crayon in the future.;)

So after some research, looks like fall classes start August 22, and Blackhawks development camp likely runs July 18th through the 22nd. If Nick waits until after camp, I feel it's unlikely, and then takes a week to decide, staff still has 3 weeks to locate a player and get them on campus. Not actually to bad.

I'll eat my words as far as it not being enough time, and being "bush league" for some of you clowns. I was figuring classes starting the 15th and going off others statements with camp possible being the last week of July. I would expect, however, that a player already in the program would give the coaches a little more time if that had in fact been the dates.

3 minutes ago, snova4 said:

So after some research, looks like fall classes start August 22, and Blackhawks development camp likely runs July 18th through the 22nd. If Nick waits until after camp, I feel it's unlikely, and then takes a week to decide, staff still has 3 weeks to locate a player and get them on campus. Not actually to bad.

I'll eat my words as far as it not being enough time, and being "bush league" for some of you clowns. I was figuring classes starting the 15th and going off others statements with camp possible being the last week of July. I would expect, however, that a player already in the program would give the coaches a little more time if that had in fact been the dates.

...I accept your apology :D;)

2 hours ago, snova4 said:

Well, maybe UND isn't exactly the high class institution I thought it was then. I know when I went to college, everything had to be signed up for months in advance. I don't exactly know the star dates of class, but when posters are talking about a guy waiting until August to make up his mind, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time. Like I said a long way back, I rather doubt he takes that long, and I'm not foolish enough to believe that he's not in communication with Berry, like someone implied, but you can take what i meant any way you'd like. I'll make sure to write it in crayon in the future.;)

Years ago I was In charge of summer registration for incoming students. Freshmen and transfers would come to campus for a day and test out of Math, take foreign language placement tests, and listen to George Schubert, Dean of University College welcome students and tell parents don't let your kid have a car at college.  You could register for school then but you could also register and sign up for your classes when school started.  The problem was a lot of classes were full and you would end up taking Humanities, Philosophy, History of Jack Benny from Tweeton (that was a great course), and a couple of Phy Ed courses even if your major was accounting or Engineering.  You could also take ROTC if you wanted to terrorize liberal English Professors and make them wet their pants. (Or is that only now).  We often would walk over to Merrifield and ask Professor Lewis to add a couple of seats to English Comp etc.  Some kids showed up on their own a few days after classes started sometimes and we would find a way to accommodate them. Dean Schubert liked to be personally involved with the hockey players but we did the same for any kid. That is what made us a great institution. It was about the students and making things work for them not what was easiest for us. Most Departments had a "go to professor" who would help us get kids into needed classes.  When my kids registered it was similar. Hope it still is.  When my other kid went to the U of Mn, she majored in Graphic Arts and when it was her turn to register none of her classes were available and no one would help her find credits.  I hired 5 college students each summer to work with us.  One  of the students is now CEO of BWW. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I'm not as worried about the Schmaltz contingency, as I am about Tyson Jost.   If he gets drafted by the "wrong" team, either they don't like NCAA college route or they need help NOW, that could of course affect his choice.

Got a chance to talk to Tyson for a minute at the U18 Tourney.  He seemed genuinely excited to be coming to UND.  I've always had that same fear, though.  It's like everything you hear about the kid seems too good to be true.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Patrick Russell signed with EDM.  Huskies are getting crushed this offseason.

NCHC will be down next year.  UMD and SCSU loosing the most to graduation and early departures.  DU will be OK with only loosing Heinen early.  UND is in great shape for another run; especially if Schmaltz returns.

8 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

NCHC will be down next year.  UMD and SCSU loosing the most to graduation and early departures.  DU will be OK with only loosing Heinen early.  UND is in great shape for another run; especially if Schmaltz returns.

Thank God we got teams like Bemidji and Minnesota to help our Pairwise ranking!! ;)

14 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Duluth still has Toninato, Johnson and Iafallo, and brings in Tufte, so they should be o.k. up front. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2016 at 7:04 PM, iramurphy said:

Years ago I was In charge of summer registration for incoming students. Freshmen and transfers would come to campus for a day and test out of Math, take foreign language placement tests, and listen to George Schubert, Dean of University College welcome students and tell parents don't let your kid have a car at college.  You could register for school then but you could also register and sign up for your classes when school started.  The problem was a lot of classes were full and you would end up taking Humanities, Philosophy, History of Jack Benny from Tweeton (that was a great course), and a couple of Phy Ed courses even if your major was accounting or Engineering.  You could also take ROTC if you wanted to terrorize liberal English Professors and make them wet their pants. (Or is that only now).  We often would walk over to Merrifield and ask Professor Lewis to add a couple of seats to English Comp etc.  Some kids showed up on their own a few days after classes started sometimes and we would find a way to accommodate them. Dean Schubert liked to be personally involved with the hockey players but we did the same for any kid. That is what made us a great institution. It was about the students and making things work for them not what was easiest for us. Most Departments had a "go to professor" who would help us get kids into needed classes.  When my kids registered it was similar. Hope it still is.  When my other kid went to the U of Mn, she majored in Graphic Arts and when it was her turn to register none of her classes were available and no one would help her find credits.  I hired 5 college students each summer to work with us.  One  of the students is now CEO of BWW. 

Great memories, ira.   Bob Lewis was a good man and a fine professor, and Tweeton was delightful.  I cannot remember the name of the silver haired, slightly nutty, but brilliant philosophy professor who had a constant smile on his face. 

27 minutes ago, burd said:

Great memories, ira.   Bob Lewis was a good man and a fine professor, and Tweeton was delightful.  I cannot remember the name of the silver haired, slightly nutty, but brilliant philosophy professor who had a constant smile on his face. 

That description could apply to more than one professor.  :D

1 hour ago, burd said:

Sounds kinda like Carl who's last name I don't know. He was great.