SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

Congratulations to Luke, though.  He had many doubters among Sioux fans, including me at times, but he proved his significant worth without lashing out at anyone, as far as I know.   Hopefully he will prove his doubters wrong at the next level as well. 

Go get 'em Luke.   (but maybe in a way that keeps you out of the box)   :D

48 minutes ago, Cratter said:

This is the most underclassman to leave UND early and turn pro in a decade!

No wonder some are saying this might be a rebuilding year next year.

It'll be fine.  Remember at this time last year how everyone said this year would be a rebuilding year because we had 0 experienced goalies, 11 freshmen coming in, and not much proven offense?  Well, that seemed to work out ok.

If Schmaltz returns, UND could still have an entire line of 1st round draft picks...which includes probably the best setup man in the country and the best sniper in the country.  Not to mention the best returning goalie in the country.  I'd say our chances look pretty darn good, especially when you consider that the regional is in Fargo.  Just make the NCAA's...then two "home" games for a F4 bid.  :)

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

It'll be fine.  Remember at this time last year how everyone said this year would be a rebuilding year because we had 0 experienced goalies, 11 freshmen coming in, and not much proven offense?  Well, that seemed to work out ok.

If Schmaltz returns, UND could still have an entire line of 1st round draft picks...which includes probably the best setup man in the country and the best sniper in the country.  Not to mention the best returning goalie in the country.  I'd say our chances look pretty darn good, especially when you consider that the regional is in Fargo.  Just make the NCAA's...then two "home" games for a F4 bid.  :)

as I said a down year at UND is one game from making the Frozen Four or not.....UND will always make the playoffs....thats a gurantee....but heck now that they lost so many underclassman at least the worst they will probably do is equal Hakstols best years the last nine years at UND.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

14 minutes ago, Cratter said:

as I said a down year at UND is one game from making the Frozen Four or not.....UND will always make the playoffs....thats a gurantee....but heck now that they lost so many underclassman at least the worst they will probably do is equal Hakstols best years the last nine years at UND.

We don't know what a "down" Berry year looks like yet. We just lost 3 defenseman, 2 of which were instrumental to winning a championship. While Johnson looked great most of the year, he did have games where he was below average at best. Everything looks great when you're playing behind an NHL caliber defensive lineup. If Schmaltz goes, we're lucky the NCAA playoffs would go through Fargo for us. I'm most certainly not putting any carts in front of any houses, and most certainly am not going to take some cheap pot shot at a coach who literally did have us in the hunt every year whether we deserved to be there or not.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I take life, and internet message boards, a lot more relax than you apparently?

Not at all, I'm pretty laid back, but being relaxed and chill doesn't mean I'm not going to call someone out whether it's on a message board or in life. Sorry, not actually sorry, if you have issues with that.

Just now, snova4 said:

Not at all, I'm pretty laid back, but being relaxed and chill doesn't mean I'm not going to call someone out whether it's on a message board or in life. Sorry, not actually sorry, if you have issues with that.

Lot of linguistics my small mind doesn't understand...but point is the new coach went further in his first year than the previous coach went in his last nine years...you call it a "cheap shot", or call it  "reality." 

I don't care.

I'll call them National Champs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Lot of linguistics my small mind doesn't understand...but point is the new coach went further in his first year than the previous coach went in his last nine years...you call it a "cheap shot", or call it  "reality." 

I don't care.

I'll call them National Champs.

And that coach that just couldn't get it done took a jump to NHL head coach. Then took an NHL bottom feeding team to the playoffs. Then gave the number one team in the East a pretty solid run for their money. I guess I fall into the viewpoint that a coach is judged by a season, players by single games.

I think Berry's legacy will be pretty cemented if he's able to maintain the same type of success as Hakstol had, minus the championships obviously.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Anyone think the coaches said "Yeah Luke you're totally ready for the next and NHL level, nothing left for you to accomplish at UND." When he wondered if he should turn pro.

so much for jordan schmaltz calling his former teammates and talkinga bout sitting in a hotel room in akron, ohio wishing he was suiting up against the bulldogs and eating red pepper after blasting them off the ice at the ralph.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, snova4 said:

I guess I fall into the viewpoint that a coach is judged by a season, players by single games.

I think Berry's legacy will be pretty cemented if he's able to maintain the same type of success as Hakstol had, minus the championships obviously.

I'm happy Hakstol made the NHL playoffs, its equivalent to being the #30 team in college hockey as over half the NHL teams make the playoffs. I'm happy to watch him succeed. 

As other have pointed out, his demeanor might be better suited for the NHL system.

Berry's legacy is already cemented his college hockey history...first year college coach (with "exceptions" you can look up yourself) to win a Natty. 

Coaches don't make UND.

UND makes Coaches. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I'm happy Hakstol made the NHL playoffs, its equivalent to being the #30 team in college hockey as over half the NHL teams make the playoffs. I'm happy to watch him succeed. 

As other have pointed out, his demeanor might be better suited for the NHL system.

Berry's legacy is already cemented his college hockey history...first year college coach (with "exceptions" you can look up yourself) to win a Natty. 

Coaches don't make UND.

UND makes Coaches. 

I've highlighted one of your sentences, and made a few comments here before on Sioux Sports about that regard and the word "demeanor" is a better choice than I used.  Hak did a great job for UND, UND also helped Hak.  Hak is where he belongs.  Hak bleed UND green, he wished the "SIOUX" good luck prior to the F4 final game. He gave us his all, and I'm sure will do the same for Philly.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Don't forget the free pass to the Frozen Four with a regional in Fargo.

Dont forget BC's free pass to the Frozen Four with a regional in Worcester.

Or Providence in Providence.   Or Minnesota in St Paul.   

So I am agreeing with you, and noting that other schools get the same break....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

So I am agreeing but noting that other schools get the same break....

The bolded part above is why I will never apologize for UND having a regional in Fargo.

• Upvote 4

LJ was an early peaker...it will be interesting to see what the Hawks are able to do with him.  Quite honestly, he doesn't skate at an elite NCAA level, which doesn't bode well for his career.  I wish him well, but he definitely did not get the same talk as Toews from the staff

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

LJ was an early peaker...it will be interesting to see what the Hawks are able to do with him.  Quite honestly, he doesn't skate at an elite NCAA level, which doesn't bode well for his career.  I wish him well, but he definitely did not get the same talk as Toews from the staff

Agreed. I highly doubt they were begging him to sign. That being said, I can't blame him for going for the money 

47 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

So I am agreeing with you, and noting that other schools get the same break....

Unlike the schools listed here UND fills the arena at the regional so the advantage is well deserved.  Just wanted to to remind people we will very likely make it 4 in a row.

• Upvote 1