SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

5 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Speaking of Schmaltz leaving or staying. Again he should take his time in deciding and no it doesn't leave UND in a bad place. We have the committed recruits to backfill. Yes, it will hurt to lose arguably the best passer in college hockey and a 1st round pick, but let's not forget our culture at UND is second to none. Our culture promotes and praises our players for reaching the next level pro, semi pro, overseas; we will be lucky to have him another year.  

I'm sure he'll wait until after prospect camp as a lot of players do who are on the fence...and he SHOULD wait until then to make an informed decision about his future.  

I'm glad you have Schmaltz future figured out!

5 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

It was playing time, must've not realized that in NCAA, you have to earn it. He took the easy route to get more playing time.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/blog/buzzing_the_net/post/calgary-hitmen%E2%80%99s-adam-tambellini-talks-about-his-decision-to-leave-und?urn=juniorhockey,wp29544

This was the first time I've read the attached article. Did Tambellini win the championship that year with The Hitmen?

41 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

This was the first time I've read the attached article. Did Tambellini win the championship that year with The Hitmen?

Hitmen did not make the final four in the Memorial Cup either year he was with the Hitmen

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Can 21 year olds play?  I thought I heard each dub team could only have 2 or 3 20 yr olds.

Edit:  I found the guidance.  Each Dub team can only have 3 20 year olds on the team. 

21 year olds can play.  It's birth year, so a guy can turn 21 on Jan1st and still play.  Need to be 20 when season starts at the oldest

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, keikla said:

Based on the long run of comments in this thread and the "we are the champions" thread, I'm starting to wonder what Cratter was actually on...

Is there are chance he never made the plane in Tampa?

• Upvote 1

On Thursday, May 05, 2016 at 1:13 PM, siouxfan512 said:

It has nothing to do with respect or lack of respect. The kid needs to make the right decision for himself, and its a pretty big one. When a team holds your draft rights, you also have to take that team into consideration as they have invested in you. They may want to see how he stacks up at development camp.

If I recall a similar thing happened a few years back with JT Miller deciding in late summer that he would not come to UND. Disappointing sure, but we ended up getting Gaarder out of the deal.

I think Nick will end up staying, but can't fault a kid for doing his due diligence to completely weigh out his options.

I get a little tired of this whole "You can't blame a kid for doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of how it impacts others". I suppose you didn't have a problem with what Tambellini pulled a few years back? Or what Derrick Byfuglien pulled back in 2000? Not that this is the same as those situations, but waiting almost until classes start in the Fall would be bush league in my opinion. The coaches have a responsibility to the program and thus need time to replace any kid who decides to sign a pro contract.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I get a little tired of this whole "You can't blame a kid for doing whatever he wants, whenever he wants, regardless of how it impacts others". I suppose you didn't have a problem with what Tambellini pulled a few years back? Or what Derrick Byfuglien pulled back in 2000? Not that this is the same as those situations, but waiting almost until classes start in the Fall would be bush league in my opinion. The coaches have a responsibility to the program and thus need time to replace any kid who decides to sign a pro contract.

I don't think anyone has actually said this, nor is that what people are implying.  Schmaltz leaving in July/August in completely different than Tambellini bailing mid-season.  If Schmaltz does choose to take his time and make an informed decision about his career and livelihood, I would have to believe that he's keeping Berry up to date.  

I'm surprised that no one seems to remember some of the other recent UND players who left in July/August.  Brian Lee signed in July of 2007.  Matt Greene signed in mid-August of 2005.  Heck, there was an entire thread devoted to Matt Greene in the summer of 2005! http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/4459-see-ya-later-matt-greene/?page=1

Like with Matt Greene, who signed on August 15th, I'm certain Berry has a contingency plan in place if Schmaltz similarly waits until late summer to sign. There are plenty of recruits who have completed high school and/or would love the chance to play at UND this season.  It just takes a phone call.  Whether Schmaltz signs in May or signs in August, UND still is probably going to bring in the same player to fill his spot.  The hoopla about July/August signings is really being blown out of proportion, and Tambellini is an extremely poor example of Schmaltz's current situation.

I'm sure Schmaltz will make up his mind prior to August, buy arguing against anyone saying that waiting until then is anything but bush league is ridiculous. Yes, there are prior examples of it, but it doesn't change the fact that the program is going to be in scramble mode.

Scramble mode?  If Schmaltz signs today, Berry calls a recruit and tells him he's coming to UND.  If Schmaltz signs in August, Berry calls a recruit (probably the same one he would have called in May) and tells him he's coming to UND.  Or any other number of "either, or" contingency plans depending on if Schmaltz signs.   

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Scramble mode?  If Schmaltz signs today, Berry calls a recruit and tells him he's coming to UND.  If Schmaltz signs in August, Berry calls a recruit (probably the same one he would have called in May) and tells him he's coming to UND.  Or any other number of "either, or" contingency plans depending on if Schmaltz signs.  

There's more to starting college courses than a phone call a week before classes start.

I am surprised that anyone would suggest that someone that has given as much to the program as Greene is somehow "bush league".  I think that people knowing nothing that is going on behind the scenes and the communication that is going on, yet putting labels like that on players that have laid it on the line for this program is in and of itself bush league and I bet the coaches would agree.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, tnt said:

I am surprised that anyone would suggest that someone that has given as much to the program as Greene is somehow "bush league".  I think that people knowing nothing that is going on behind the scenes and the communication that is going on, yet putting labels like that on players that have laid it on the line for this program is in and of itself bush league and I bet the coaches would agree.

I called Tambellini bush league, not anyone else... So not sure what you're talking about?

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not much lol it's pretty simple. Can be done inside a day if the player is already accepted to UND.

Yeah, just ask St. Clair. I realize most of the time it works out, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of strings being pulled to make it happen.

54 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I'm sure Schmaltz will make up his mind prior to August, buy arguing against anyone saying that waiting until then is anything but bush league is ridiculous. Yes, there are prior examples of it, but it doesn't change the fact that the program is going to be in scramble mode.

3 minutes ago, snova4 said:

There's more to starting college courses than a phone call a week before classes start.

Except that you were complaining that the "program is going to be in scramble mode" if Schmaltz waits until August.  You weren't originally discussing the nuances of enrolling in college, so I'm not certain what your last comment has to do with anything.