SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

Just speculation, but I assume Schmaltz will wait until after Chicago's developmental prospect camp this July.  After that, he and the Blackhawks will probably have a better understanding of whether Schmaltz will be (NHL v AHL) next season is he signs.  It wouldn't surprise me to see his decision come late July/early August.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Just speculation, but I assume Schmaltz will wait until after Chicago's developmental prospect camp this July.  After that, he and the Blackhawks will probably have a better understanding of whether Schmaltz will be (NHL v AHL) next season is he signs.  It wouldn't surprise me to see his decision come late July/early August.

Hmm, that could put UND in a bit of a rough spot.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

That could very well happen but I would hope that Schmaltz would have more respect for the program (coaches and players) than that!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

That could very well happen but I would hope that Schmaltz would have more respect for the program (coaches and players) than that!

Right.  I'm guessing he's waiting to see how he did on his finals :)

26 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

It has nothing to do with respect or lack of respect. The kid needs to make the right decision for himself, and its a pretty big one. When a team holds your draft rights, you also have to take that team into consideration as they have invested in you. They may want to see how he stacks up at development camp.

If I recall a similar thing happened a few years back with JT Miller deciding in late summer that he would not come to UND. Disappointing sure, but we ended up getting Gaarder out of the deal. 

I think Nick will end up staying, but can't fault a kid for doing his due diligence to completely weigh out his options.

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

It has nothing to do with respect or lack of respect. The kid needs to make the right decision for himself, and its a pretty big one. When a team holds your draft rights, you also have to take that team into consideration as they have invested in you. They may want to see how he stacks up at development camp.

If I recall a similar thing happened a few years back with JT Miller deciding in late summer that he would not come to UND. Disappointing sure, but we ended up getting Gaarder out of the deal. 

I think Nick will end up staying, but can't fault a kid for doing his due diligence to completely weigh out his options.

Pretty sure JT Miller's move was seen as pretty bush league within the college hockey circles... I think Schmaltz decides before then. I honestly think he's just making sure he makes the right decision which is fine IMO.  It is only May 5th.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I understand that but he must also understand that the program needs to move forward. If a player leaves early, thats fine; just give the coaches enough time to find a replacement. 
Look what happen a few years back with Dell. He turned pro early and didnt have the offers that he thought he had asked to come back, by that time Hak had already found a replacement goalie (Clarke Saunders).
It's all speculation anyway and I'm sure he is keeping the coaches in the loop.

16 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Pretty sure JT Miller's move was seen as pretty bush league within the college hockey circles... I think Schmaltz decides before then. I honestly think he's just making sure he makes the right decision which is fine IMO.  It is only May 5th.

JT Miller, Stefan Matteau, Miles Koules, Ryan Mantha, Brendan Lemieux, Ryan Gropp all are non existent to me. I also have to chuckle at Miles Koules as he bought into that WHL/OHL/QMJHL crap and now he is tolling around in the ECHL.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, JermDubs said:

What do you guys think Tambellini thinks of our boys winning it all?

Probably thinking that's what happens when you stick it out and play for a great college hockey program... tbh we were and are a stronger team without him. There was no love lost from the fans or the players when he bolted.

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Yeah, I don't see it happening that late.

56 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The difference is Miller never made it to campus. Nick just won a national title with the team. I'd be surprised if he would announce that late.

39 minutes ago, JermDubs said:

What do you guys think Tambellini thinks of our boys winning it all?

Not sure why this even needs to be mentioned.  What does Claude Lemieux's kid think?  

Answer:  Who cares.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

JT Miller, Stefan Matteau, Miles Koules, Ryan Mantha, Brendan Lemieux, Ryan Gropp all are non existent to me. I also have to chuckle at Miles Koules as he bought into that WHL/OHL/QMJHL crap and now he is tolling around in the ECHL.

To be fair Mantha wanted to be here, just didnt have the grades to get in.

4 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

To be fair Mantha wanted to be here, just didnt have the grades to get in.

When he told NHL reporter Mike Morreale at the Combine that, "he will let the team that selects him determine whether he ends up at UND or the Ontario Hockey League", is when I lost respect for him.

9 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

When he told NHL reporter Mike Morreale at the Combine that, "he will let the team that selects him determine whether he ends up at UND or the Ontario Hockey League", is when I lost respect for him.

I think that was his way of saying I dont have the grades to get into UND.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The difference is Miller never made it to campus. Nick just won a national title with the team. I'd be surprised if he would announce that late.

Agreed, there is definitely a difference, and I wouldn't expect Nick to wait that long either.

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

All we can say is it was your loss and good luck to all of you. We did just fine. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I could be wrong but I thought Miller was actually on campus that summer.