SiouxSports.com Forum

PairWise Rankings

jimdahl

Here was my logic, for those watching at home (and giving me negative reputation- which I think is undeserved)

#1 seeds in order:  DU, UMD, Harvard, WMU

#2 seeds in order:  Minny, Lowell, BU, Union

#3 seeds in order:  Penn State, Providence, Cornell, UND

#4 seeds in order:  Wisconsin, Notre Dame (assuming BC doesn't win tourney), AHA champ, WCHA champ

Start by placing the #1 seeds in rank order in the regional nearest them

DU goes to Fargo

UMD goes to Cinci

Harvard goes to Providence

WMU goes to NH

Fill it out:

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs Penn State

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Providence

Providence

Harvard vs Notre Dame (or BC)

Lowell vs Cornell

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Minny vs UND

Now we have two 3 seeded host schools that aren't at their home regional, so you have to move UND to Fargo, and Providence to Providence.  You then need to place Penn State and Cornell (the other 3 seeds).  Minny shouldn't play another Big 10 team in the opening round, so you send Penn State to play BU and Cornell to play Minny.

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs UND

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Penn State

Providence

Lowell vs Providence

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Minny vs Cornell

So now we have the issue of Lowell vs Providence as two hockey east schools in the first round.  You can't move Providence, so you move Lowell.  Swapping them with BU accomplishes nothing, so you swap them with either Union or Minny.  I say Minny, because it gives the #1 seed DU full bracket integrity on the 4 and 2 seeds in their regional.  It can be argued that they earned it.

Leaves us with:

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs UND

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Penn State

Providence

Minny vs Providence

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Lowell vs Cornell

The only changes made are impacting 2 vs 3 seed match-ups, and you've kept the 8 seed in the 1 seed's bracket, and the 7 seed in the 2 seed's bracket, and you've had to adjust BU vs Providence anyway.  

On to attendance, well, Fargo is set. Cinci will be quiet no matter what, you've got a Boston school and Providence in Providence, and you've got a Mass school and Cornell up in NH.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Here was my logic, for those watching at home (and giving me negative reputation- which I think is undeserved)

#4 seeds in order:  Wisconsin, Notre Dame (assuming BC doesn't win tourney), AHA champ, WCHA champ

DU goes to Fargo

UMD goes to Cinci

WMU goes to NH

Fill it out:

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs Penn State

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Providence

Providence

Lowell vs Cornell

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Minny vs UND

Now we have two 3 seeded host schools that aren't at their home regional, so you have to move UND to Fargo, and Providence to Providence.  You then need to place Penn State and Cornell (the other 3 seeds).  Minny shouldn't play another Big 10 team in the opening round, so you send Penn State to play BU and Cornell to play Minny.

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs UND

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Penn State

Providence

Lowell vs Providence

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Minny vs Cornell

So now we have the issue of Lowell vs Providence as two hockey east schools in the first round.  You can't move Providence, so you move Lowell.  Swapping them with BU accomplishes nothing, so you swap them with either Union or Minny.  I say Minny, because it gives the #1 seed DU full bracket integrity on the 4 and 2 seeds in their regional.  It can be argued that they earned it.

Leaves us with:

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs UND

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Penn State

Providence

Minny vs Providence

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Lowell vs Cornell

The only changes made are impacting 2 vs 3 seed match-ups, and you've kept the 8 seed in the 1 seed's bracket, and the 7 seed in the 2 seed's bracket, and you've had to adjust BU vs Providence anyway.  

On to attendance, well, Fargo is set. Cinci will be quiet no matter what, you've got a Boston school and Providence in Providence, and you've got a Mass school and Cornell up in NH.

Providence isn't the host in Providence, so you could technically move them, FYI. 

The last time Providence had a regional it caused a big uproar because by the straight bracket they should have been in Fargo instead of Quinnipiac.

Brown is the host in Providence. 

• Upvote 2

I probably bring this up every year but how stupid is it for them to lock teams into seeds

1(1-4)

2(5-8)

3(9-12)

4(13-16)

and then they will only move teams on their seed lines so if necessary they will flop the #5 team with the #8 team but would never even consider flipping the #12 and #13 .

To me there isn't any difference in flipping the 6 with the 8 from flipping the 8 with the 10.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

I think you're wrong on that assessment.  If Denver goes to Cincy, they're likely looking at 2 Pioneer fans in the stands.  If Denver is sent to Fargo, that number EASILY doubles, if not triples.

You mean it might take TWO cars to get their fans from the hotel to the game? :D 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

so you believe that they will ask the #1 overall seed to travel out east?  My assumption is that they will not.  

That is the driver of our different brackets.  

My confoluted thinking is as follows:

Moy's Priorities:

1. Protect the East.

2.Attendance

3. Braket Integrity

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

There is statically a chance that only the top 11 in the current pairwise will make the tourney, unlikely but possible. Canisius, Ohio State, Quin, BC and St Clown are not in the top 16 but could theoretically win their perspective conference tourneys. Obviously if the clowns are in the Sioux are out no matter what, but assume that the other four make it the Sioux then must be in the top 12! Sweeping the clowns should put them in the top 11 or better,  one would think! Of the five teams mentioned it is a strong possibility that two or three will make it. No one would be surprised to see BC win their tourney. The BIG FU is a toss up. Quin is down but not out. Canisius is tied for first before the tourney.   

52 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Providence isn't the host in Providence, so you could technically move them, FYI. 

The last time Providence had a regional it caused a big uproar because by the straight bracket they should have been in Fargo instead of Quinnipiac.

Fair enough, I thought they were the host.  I would think that they would try to keep them in Providence regardless for attendance reasons.

I think its the 3 seeds that get moved around...idea being the 5-12 should all be pretty decent matchups...the 1-4 and the 13-16 would be kept intact if at all possible.  The issue is what trumps- #1s closest to home or straight bracket integrity.  

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

That was the year they won it all.  Didn't even travel 50 miles that year and was the last team in.  Quinnipiac got hosed by the committee and UND.

7 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

That was the year they won it all.  Didn't even travel 50 miles that year and was the last team in.  Quinnipiac got hosed by the committee and UND.

Meh.  If BU doesn't screw the pooch in the title game, we wouldn't even remember how the seeding helped Providence College.  Fantastic performance by the Friars.  And well-deserved.*

*In the interest of full disclosure, my family is from Rhode Island, so I have always had a fondness for Providence College.

• Upvote 3

Methinks it doesn't mean dog poop that Brown is the host in Providence.  If Providence makes the field they're going to be placed in Providence.  As noted above the Q school found that out the hard way last time there was NCAA hockey in Fargo.  

18 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

DU goes to Fargo

UMD goes to Cinci

WMU goes to NH

Fill it out:

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs Penn State

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Providence

Providence

Lowell vs Cornell

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Minny vs UND

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs UND

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Penn State

Providence

Lowell vs Providence

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Minny vs Cornell

Leaves us with:

Fargo

DU vs WCHA champ

Union vs UND

Cinci

UMD vs AHA Champ

BU vs Penn State

Providence

Minny vs Providence

NH

WMU vs Wisconsin

Lowell vs Cornell

Your calculations make a lot of sense.  Therefore: The NCAA will obviously NOT use this format!

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

lots of typing on here...bottom line...if we lose this upcoming series are we 95% done for sure...if we win the series are we 95% sure to be in?

I was wondering the same thing and I know there are some solid pairwise minds on here so if anyone has any insight please share. thanks!

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

lots of typing on here...bottom line...if we lose this upcoming series are we 95% done for sure...if we win the series are we 95% sure to be in?

I probably shouldn't answer this, because I really have no idea. I would think though that to get in, they need to (1) Win series this weekend (2) Win 1 game in Minneapolis.

Both should be very attainable.

19 minutes ago, AJS said:

I probably shouldn't answer this, because I really have no idea. I would think though that to get in, they need to (1) Win series this weekend (2) Win 1 game in Minneapolis.

Both should be very attainable.

Winning this weekend puts us in a good position but still allowing for things to go wrong. Winning a game in Minneapolis should lock us in.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

Gonna say it, but I think it;d be real interesting if the top4 stayed put and UND dropped down to a 4 seed. If that's the case, Harvard would likely be coming out to Fargo which I think would be hilarious/.

I've seen Harvard play. I don't think it would be hilarious to have to play them.

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

Gonna say it, but I think it;d be real interesting if the top4 stayed put and UND dropped down to a 4 seed. If that's the case, Harvard would likely be coming out to Fargo which I think would be hilarious/.

The dangerous part of being on the bubble in a 13-16 pairwise spot (a potential #4 regional seed) is being knocked of out the NCAA's because the two conferences without ranked teams will take 2 of the #4 regional spots, and if you have two upsets by non ranked teams in the other conferences, then no 13-16th ranked team gets in the NCAA's? We really want to be at least a 12th pairwise spot (#3 regional team.)         Don't need Harvard in Fargo.

The Hawk's are actually in not that bad a position! Still need to win this weekend. The RPI is a big part of the Pairwise Rankings and is very close:

#12 pairwise    UND          .5473 RPI

#15 pairwise   Vermont    .5406 RPI