SiouxSports.com Forum

National Signing Day

Hambone

50 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

As for all 2 and most 3 star recruits, I'd say they're comparable to 7th round nhl draft picks. About the same potential as 0 star/undrafted players. 

According to NFL.com, 16 of the 32 first round draft choices last year were 3 stars coming out of high school. There was one 2 star first rounder and zero 1 or 0 star recruits in the first round. (I don't know which service provided the star rankings.)

To to say that star rankings are inaccurate is, well, accurate. But to say that zero star recruits have about the same potential as 3 and 2 star recruits is not supported by the facts. 

NDSU's roster has players that across the board have higher rated star players than UND. They thrashed us and won the national championship again.

We can come up with isolated examples of 5 stars amounting to nothing and 0 stars becoming NFL Hall of Famers. But statistically rating services are more right than wrong, and more talent beats less talent more often than not. Give me higher rated players every day of the week. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

According to NFL.com, 16 of the 32 first round draft choices last year were 3 stars coming out of high school. There was one 2 star first rounder and zero 1 or 0 star recruits in the first round. (I don't know which service provided the star rankings.)

To to say that star rankings are inaccurate is, well, accurate. But to say that zero star recruits have about the same potential as 3 and 2 star recruits is not supported by the facts. 

NDSU's roster has players that across the board have higher rated star players than UND. They thrashed us and won the national championship again.

We can come up with isolated examples of 5 stars amounting to nothing and 0 stars becoming NFL Hall of Famers. But statistically rating services are more right than wrong, and more talent beats less talent more often than not. Give me higher rated players every day of the week. 

They're only decent at rating the top guys who developed early. Other than that they're worthless.

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

Not talking nfl, talking fcs.  Santiago was an all American as a true freshman in the fcs, the division und plays in.  He had zero stars and zero other fcs offers.  Grady started week 7, was a lock for all American and had zero stars and zero other fcs offers.  In other words,  there is plenty of "hidden" talented recruits that can be gems, especially in the northern Midwest section of the U.S.

Sure it's nice to beat out a some fcs or maybe fbs for recruits but in reality it means squat.  It's a monkey see monkey do situation.  N Iowa offers some kid a scholly, now you have illinois st offering, sdsu offers , ndsu offers, Toledo , wyoming  and at the end some fbs offers a pwo.  It's just a domino effect.   If wisc st Nw offered a kid a scholly, pretty sure the offers wouldnt start flooding his way,  nor would his rival stars. But if Alabama offered the same kid before he was known, the offers and rival stars would fly through he roof .  Monkey see monkey do

Again, und plays in the fcs and are are doing a great job of finding talent for their diversion.  They have lacked depth and to a certain extent experience.  Now in year three, bubba and crew are starting to address the depth situation which is an absolute must to compete for a title.  

8 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Not talking nfl, talking fcs.  Santiago was an all American as a true freshman in the fcs, the division und plays in.  He had zero stars and zero other fcs offers.  Grady started week 7, was a lock for all American and had zero stars and zero other fcs offers.  In other words,  there is plenty of "hidden" talented recruits that can be gems, especially in the northern Midwest section of the U.S.

Sure it's nice to beat out a some fcs or maybe fbs for recruits but in reality it means squat.  It's a monkey see monkey do situation.  N Iowa offers some kid a scholly, now you have illinois st offering, sdsu offers , ndsu offers, Toledo , wyoming  and at the end some fbs offers a pwo.  It's just a domino effect.   If wisc st Nw offered a kid a scholly, pretty sure the offers wouldnt start flooding his way,  nor would his rival stars. But if Alabama offered the same kid before he was known, the offers and rival stars would fly through he roof .  Monkey see monkey do

Again, und plays in the fcs and are are doing a great job of finding talent for their diversion.  They have lacked depth and to a certain extent experience.  Now in year three, bubba and crew are starting to address the depth situation which is an absolute must to compete for a title.  

Sure there's missed talent but you usually only get 1 or 2 a class.  Again I'll take a recruit that has multiple offers any day of the week and be more right on hitting a home run than one that has none.  

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Okay we get it - once again one has to wonder why you are here - if you want to hear UND fans fawn over how great the FU recruiting class is it's not gonna happen. I have to belleve that if UND was on a similar run to FU that Bison-swille is the last place I would spend my time because I have no need to hear what FU fans think. We are happy with this class, our staff and the direction of our team. Geez it's just sad that so many FU fans need to spend so much time here.

Their constant need for flattery is a clear sign of an inferiority complex.

Dan's barometer for a good recruit used to be if they had a "rivals page" so at least he has moved past that.  Than when UND got commitments from 3 star rivals players he changed his tune.  Probably rightfully so.  If this class is broken down-

I agree to a point about other offers but you also have to recruit players that fit your system.  Defensively UND run's a system completely different than anyone else around.  It recruits different players than what NDSU, SDSU, UNI or USD need to run their defense in the front 7.  In the secondary, we kept a kid with a preferred walk on opportunity to Wisconsin and 3-4 that had the "multiple offers" Dan is looking for.  Some of those offers were even to FBS schools.  

Offensively, up front we signed kids with offers from MVFC schools which fit the style of offense that Rudolph wants to run.  The skill guys were all in camp and I have no issues with the talent evaluation of this coaching staff.  They proved last year that after having the opportunity to see kids in person, they can identify the type of kids that will help on the field.  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, homer said:

Offensively, up front we signed kids with offers from MVFC schools which fit the style of offense that Rudolph wants to run.  The skill guys were all in camp and I have no issues with the talent evaluation of this coaching staff.  They proved last year that after having the opportunity to see kids in person, they can identify the type of kids that will help on the field.  

Bring them to our UND camp and work with our staff.  The staff can evaluate their skills and heart to play at UND.  This is much better than someone else giving stars. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

At the risk of this being in the wrong thread, I think sometimes we, ahem, relatively older fans of UND forget how lucky we were to witness the most recent era of championships 1987-2001 in men's hockey, women's basketball and the 2001 improbable come-from-behind win in the waning seconds for the national championship, and that there are some younger fans on here that don't have the same vivid memories of those times.  

< hanging head in shame > 

I gave up on the boys that day. I turned off the TV, got in the vehicle, and started driving to town to pick up some stuff for the fridge and for projects around the house. But I turned the radio on to listen to the close-out. And then somebody finally broke a tackle*, and I almost drove into the ditch. 

* (c) E. Schmidt

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, homer said:

Dan's barometer for a good recruit used to be if they had a "rivals page" so at least he has moved past that.  Than when UND got commitments from 3 star rivals players he changed his tune.  Probably rightfully so.  If this class is broken down-

I agree to a point about other offers but you also have to recruit players that fit your system.  Defensively UND run's a system completely different than anyone else around.  It recruits different players than what NDSU, SDSU, UNI or USD need to run their defense in the front 7.  In the secondary, we kept a kid with a preferred walk on opportunity to Wisconsin and 3-4 that had the "multiple offers" Dan is looking for.  Some of those offers were even to FBS schools.  

Well yeah but the coaches and local media don't go parading around, making sure every one knows every single offer that their recruits got (plus a few others for good measure) and writing articles about how they are the only team who has other schools come after their verbals. It's funny to see the chest thumping getting kids from schools they claim to be much better than.

UND went 3-0 head to head on equal offers against SDSU including a Nebraskajack that decided being an Omahawk was better. Something like 18 or 19 of the kids signed were at UND's camp, the staff saw exactly what they needed to first hand. Seemed to work out well when they signed that Santiago kid who impressed in camp but didn't have any other offers.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Well yeah but the coaches and local media don't go parading around, making sure every one knows every single offer that their recruits got (plus a few others for good measure) and writing articles about how they are the only team who has other schools come after their verbals. It's funny to see the chest thumping getting kids from schools they claim to be much better than.

UND went 3-0 head to head on equal offers against SDSU including a Nebraskajack that decided being an Omahawk was better. Something like 18 or 19 of the kids signed were at UND's camp, the staff saw exactly what they needed to first hand. Seemed to work out well when they signed that Santiago kid who impressed in camp but didn't have any other offers.

Wednesdays Kolpack and Izzo Signing Day show turned into the "Kolpack and Izzo Who Else Offered You Show".  They spent half the show talking about other programs.  Nauseating.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Wednesdays Kolpack and Izzo Signing Day show turned into the "Kolpack and Izzo Who Else Offered You Show".  They spent half the show talking about other programs.  Nauseating.

I heard some of it.  I would agree.  When Kolpack, started telling a story about how some recruits father had called him because they wanted an objective look at the program, I just have to laugh at the self importance of a person like Kolpack.   In a round about way he was basically taking credit for landing the kid.  Yes, thank you Kolpack for reminding us how important you are to that program...then I turned it off.   

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< hanging head in shame > 

I gave up on the boys that day. I turned off the TV, got in the vehicle, and started driving to town to pick up some stuff for the fridge and for projects around the house. But I turned the radio on to listen to the close-out. And then somebody finally broke a tackle*, and I almost drove into the ditch. 

* (c) E. Schmidt

23 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

At the risk of this being in the wrong thread, I think sometimes we, ahem, relatively older fans of UND forget how lucky we were to witness the most recent era of championships 1987-2001 in men's hockey, women's basketball and the 2001 improbable come-from-behind win in the waning seconds for the national championship, and that there are some younger fans on here that don't have the same vivid memories of those times.  

I was listening to the football game on the radio during a National Guard drill weekend in Dickinson.... I remember considering turning off the radio just prior to the fourth down Klosterman-to-Schleussner pass and run because I couldn't bear to listen any longer. But something in me kept me hanging on, and after what seemed like eternity in radio hell, I  heard those magical words "caught!!!!"  I thought he just got the first down and I was ecstatic, but I was soon to learn that he had lumbered to almost the 1-yd line to set up the game winning TD.  What a game! Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I was helping with high school wrestling tournament and watching the game in the hospitality room when he broke the tackle. I bear hugged and picked up the coach from West Fargo (a guy that from my wrestling days we didn't necessarily get along). Unknowingly at the time I made quite the scene. The guy gave me crap about that for some time after that. 

12 minutes ago, the green team said:

I heard some of it.  I would agree.  When Kolpack, started telling a story about how some recruits father had called him because they wanted an objective look at the program, I just have to laugh at the self importance of a person like Kolpack.   In a round about way he was basically taking credit for landing the kid.  Yes, thank you Kolpack for reminding us how important you are to that program...then I turned it off.   

He likely needs to show the athletic dept. and coaches how important he is so he doesn't get put on the naughty list again like in the past.  

26 minutes ago, the green team said:

Objective look at the program??? :lol::lol::lol:

Did little Jeffrey invite the dad to the annual ndsu homecoming party he hosts at his house every year???

16 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

You guys go with that.  I'll take a class that has most recruits with multiple offers, and most coaches would too.

This makes more sense than what "Rivals" or the other rating folks do.  College coaches base their recruiting on film evaluation, the surveys they get back from the HS or JC coaches and their interaction with the players.  None of the coaches that are any good pay any attention to how many stars are given by these groups.  If a recruit has multiple offers, that means a lot more than multiple stars.  I haven't seen the list of AC recruits but I'm guessing it is good again.  UND had an excellent recruiting year.

• Upvote 1