SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND President

UNDvince97-01

Back to UND's president search, I'm liking the background of this applicant.  UND grad.  Currently a VP/CFO at a large research university.  Has been a VP at Emporia St (Kansas), Eastern Illinois, Southern Methodist University, Purdue, and Arizona St.  Worked as a budget analyst for North Dakota OMB (granted it was 30 years ago) so he has experience working with the executive and legislative branches of state government during the budgeting/appropriations process.  Should have good business sense.  If this guy is personable and capable of talking to potential donors, he's the one, IMO.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Back to UND's president search, I'm liking the background of this applicant.  UND grad.  Currently a VP/CFO at a large research university.  Has been a VP at Emporia St (Kansas), Eastern Illinois, Southern Methodist University, Purdue, and Arizona St.  Worked as a budget analyst for North Dakota OMB (granted it was 30 years ago) so he has experience working with the executive and legislative branches of state government during the budgeting/appropriations process.  Should have good business sense.  If this guy is personable and capable of talking to potential donors, he's the one, IMO.

I thought his resume had a lot to offer as well. Doesn't seem to have the "academic" experience some might like to see but I don't think that's necessary especially given his vast experience in working in higher ed.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I thought his resume had a lot to offer as well. Doesn't seem to have the "academic" experience some might like to see but I don't think that's necessary especially given his vast experience in working in higher ed.

holds an appointment as Professor of Practice in the Mary Lou Fulton College of Education.

Not sure what that appointment entails, but he may have done some teaching in the business schools along the way?

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:33 PM, bincitysioux said:

Would Tom Clifford get the job in today's environment?

He was way before my time, I only ask because he seems to be hands down the most popular president in UND history.

Yes, he could very well have. He had his doctorate. He was Dean of the College of Business.  He had a successful military career and was a very popular Dean.  He was  popular among students and alumni.  He had good connections at the legislature and he was intelligent, had great personal skills, a high EQ, and was a North Dakota native.

On 1/20/2016 at 3:42 PM, UNDBIZ said:

The guy has everything but a run as a "CEO" at another school, but given where he's been I suspect he's had comparable level of responsibility he'd see at UND. 

On January 20, 2016 at 1:42 PM, UNDBIZ said:

+1

I would prefer that the next UND President be a guy who looks at this job as his final destination job.  Not someone who looks a this job as a stepping stone or one that looks at like "well I am going to do this job for 5-6 years and retire".  I want someone who will be committed to UND long term, like Tom Clifford was.  This may be where someone like Ray Purpur has a leg up.

31 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I would prefer that the next UND President be a guy who looks at this job as his final destination job.  

We are coming off of one of those. 

There's something to be said about someone who knows they need to keep fresh and isn't just playing out the string. 

45 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I would prefer that the next UND President be a guy who looks at this job as his final destination job.  Not someone who looks a this job as a stepping stone or one that looks at like "well I am going to do this job for 5-6 years and retire".  I want someone who will be committed to UND long term, like Tom Clifford was.  This may be where someone like Ray Purpur has a leg up.

Clifford went on to be chancellor of the University System for a while, but your point is well taken.