SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND President

UNDvince97-01

59 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND has a total budget of approximately $511,000,000. The Governor is asking for a reduction in budget of just over 4%. That would total approximately $20,000,000. If you included the original $5,000,000 shortfall that has been discussed since last spring it would total $25,000,000. However, Schafer announced on Monday that they had already taken care of the $5,000,000. So UND will have to look at finding the $20,000,000. This doesn't all come out of the general fund and tuition budget that educates the students. That budget is just under $178,000,000 (tuition alone is about $115,000,000) or just over 1/3 of the total budget. So they would need to cut about $7,000,000 out of the tuition and general fund, bringing that budget number down to around $171,000,000. The current grants and contracts budget is a little under $233,000,000 and the total budgets for the Med school and Med contracts and grants is about $101,000,000. These will also need to be reduced by about 4%.

Higher Education is a hog that just won't get fed.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So 4% is about $20 million for UND. Then why is NDSU (subject to same 4% cut order) only talking about $6.4 million in cuts? (See 'Bresciani' thread this forum.)

That would be a similar size cut to the $7.1 million that UND will need to find in the General Fund and Tuition. Either UND won't really have to cut money from the Contracts and Grants budget (and Med school budgets), or NDSU hasn't gotten to that part of the budget.

A closer look at the NDSU budget tells me that either they aren't talking about even close to what they need to do, or that UND is looking at going way too far. Their General Fund and Tuition budget is more than $241 million. 4% of that would be more than $9 million. Their Grants and Contracts is another $202 million, so 4% of that is $8 million. Total budget is a little short of $444 million and 4% of that is well over $17 million. The 2 schools aren't on the same page at all.

The general fund allotment for UND should be around $12.8 million, including the med school. The tuition budget is not subject to the allotment. UND is getting hit extra hard because the money for the new med school was cut by 4% too. The $6.4 million for ndsu doesn't look like it includes the reduction in their research funding from the state, which is about another $4.5 million. 

The $25 million looks to be a 2 year number, and was caused in large part by UND budgeting a large tuition increase. 

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

anyone wanna tell me where all the oil taxes the state has are hidden? how in the heck are we short money anywhere in north dakota?

Higher Ed's state budget has about tripled since the start of the boom. Elementary and high school budget probably tripled too. The legacy fund has around $3-4 billion that can't be spent yet. State paid a lot of oil money to lower property taxes and the city councils just increased spending instead. Also did a lot of building and road projects when construction was most expensive.

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

anyone wanna tell me where all the oil taxes the state has are hidden? how in the heck are we short money anywhere in north dakota?

Budgets were set when oil was closer to $100 per barrel, and before ag commodities fell also. Today oil prices are ...

Ed Schafer is in the rare and unique position where he'll be liked after this interim role no matter what. Plus, he's in a period of time where action has to happen (per the Governor). And he also knows there are some things at UND that needed to be looked at one way or the other. 

Ed, quite simply, has the opportunity to tighten up the ship and no one can really say much about it (see 4%). Right man, right time, right place. 

• Upvote 3

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:09 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Ed Schafer is in the rare and unique position where he'll be liked                                           Right man, right time, right place. 

There's a lot of water to run under the bridge yet before you can make that determination.  We can hope and say so far so well,  but anything more is just blowing smoke

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3944226-update-hiring-freeze-faculty-buyouts-offered-und-budget-fix

"You can't just continue to skim things off and push it down the road," Schafer said. "We have to look at net permanent reductions in operating costs. That's going to take everybody rowing the boat to make it happen, but in the end what comes out is a better, stronger university."

Ahhh, refreshing. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Exactly............not the Pollyanna Kumbaya babble spewed by Kelley and his minions for years.

Kelly could basically say the same thing and he'd get ripped to shreds for it, it is what it is (look at comments made about moving on with the new nickname for proof). Schafer's playing with house money and honestly, that's probably best thing that could happen for UND right now because of some tough choices that are going to be made. Either he's going to get minimal flack for it or if he does, he won't be here in 5 months, so no skin off his back. It appears he will do more than enough to give the new guy a blank slate to work with. It is on the committee to pick someone who will be able to continue with that momentum.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Kelly could basically say the same thing and he'd get ripped to shreds for it, it is what it is (look at comments made about moving on with the new nickname for proof). Schafer's playing with house money and honestly, that's probably best thing that could happen for UND right now because of some tough choices that are going to be made. Either he's going to get minimal flack for it or if he does, he won't be here in 5 months, so no skin off his back. It appears he will do more than enough to give the new guy a blank slate to work with. It is on the committee to pick someone who will be able to continue with that momentum.

But Kelley would never say that same thing unless the language was first approved by 4 different committees.....

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

But Kelley would never say that same thing unless the language was first approved by 4 different committees.....

Correct and let's not put Kelley in the same category of a "leader" with Schafer...........that is giving Kelley too much credit and is an insult to Ed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Very true. Kelley tried to be all-inclusive, inoffensive and make everyone happy to a fault on most things. Anytime he didn't follow that, he got ripped for ramming things down people's throat. All the more reason someone with serious business acumen is a better fit to be the next president. Schafer's in an enviable position and I like how he's using it to his full advantage by taking a hardline on tough decisions with what he feels is the proper amount of input.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Very true. Kelley tried to be all-inclusive, inoffensive and make everyone happy to a fault on most things. Anytime he didn't follow that, he got ripped for ramming things down people's throat. Schafer's in an enviable position and I like how he's using it to his full advantage.

I was thinking the same thing. Depending on the issue Kelley is a mamby pamby all-things-for--all-people kind of leader or a dictatorial megalomaniac bent on ramming his PC ways down the throats of all -- ND people be damned. LOL!  It's been funny to watch people describe him both ways sometimes in the same breath. 

I like Ed, though, I do think he's got an easier road as interim than any sitting president would have. It may be because he's still in a honeymoon phase (that will probably last the duration of his interim stint).  It's funny. A lot of us are pretty hard on Bresciani for his ticket-gate thing, but there was nary a word on here of Ed's comments last week on KFGO where he defended Bresciani's actions. Kelley would have gotten grilled for doing the same thing. Opinions of Kelley are colored by the broad nickname brush; Ed doesn't have that burden around his neck to the same extent, so in many ways, gets a pass. It is what it is. But still interesting. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I like Ed, though, I do think he's got an easier road as interim than any sitting president would have. It may be because he's still in a honeymoon phase (that will probably last the duration of his interim stint).  It's funny. A lot of us are pretty hard on Bresciani for his ticket-gate thing, but there was nary a word on here of Ed's comments last week on KFGO where he defended Bresciani's actions. Kelley would have gotten grilled for doing the same thing. Opinions of Kelley are colored by the broad nickname brush; Ed doesn't have that burden around his neck to the same extent, so in many ways, gets a pass. It is what it is. But still interesting. 

Much truth in this post

• 2 weeks later...

UND president candidate says he would make university a top-tier institution

Rudin said he wanted to increase enrollment purposefully, make campus diverse and increase research productivity with support and incentives for faculty at UND.

"Life is inherently diverse and interdisciplinary," he said. "Are we preparing our students for the real world? I'm interested in growing selectively, but one of my areas of selection would be to diversify the student population. It's a topic near and dear to me."

Maybe I am a Neanderthal, but I don't understand why diversity is so important nowadays. 

• Upvote 2