SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND President

UNDvince97-01

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm involved in the process to hire a new leader for a significant organization in the region. I asked our headhunter about "nine interviews in a day" and "17 interviews in two days".

I've never seen someone laugh so hard, ... and then say, "You're serious?" 

He wondered how you could get a feel for someone in just an hour, and he wondered how the interview committee could remember each candidate after about the fourth interview. 

He also said, "That many interviews in a day is fair neither to the candidates nor the committee. I'd never do that to a client or any of my contacts."

So if the interviews wrap up today, does that mean swimsuit and talent competitions tomorrow and Thursday, followed by Steve Harvey announcing the winner on Friday?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Can't a President/CEO of a company hire people who know a few things about the things he doesn't?

CEO's of major companies seem to move around, mainly because they know how to run a company, not because they know the product.  

CEO with mainly people skills don't have the vision to take research anywhere.  UND is in a critical spot in its involvement with UAVs, oil/energy, and medicine to not have someone with a vision that can see through research possibilites.   We can't have a president that is just on education autopilot anymore. UND can and should be an economic driver, not just a producer of graduates.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So if the interviews wrap up today, does that mean swimsuit and talent competitions tomorrow and Thursday, followed by Steve Harvey announcing the winner runner-up as the winner and then having to do a very ugly, public mea culpa and pull a crown off a head on Friday?

FIFY. :D

The Lucky 7

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3938669-seven-move-und-president-search

Daniel L. Clay, dean of the College of Education at the University of Missouri

• Mark R. Kennedy, director of the Graduate School of Political Management at George Washington University and former Minnesota Congressman

• Nagi G. Naganathan, dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Toledo

• Jay Noren, associate dean of the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois-Chicago

• Morgan R. Olsen, executive vice president, treasurer and CFO at Arizona State University

• Mark Rudin, vice president for research and economic development at Boise State University

• Steven Shirley, president of Minot State University

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The Lucky 7

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3938669-seven-move-und-president-search

• Mark R. Kennedy, director of the Graduate School of Political Management at George Washington University and former Minnesota Congressman

• Nagi G. Naganathan, dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Toledo

• Jay Noren, associate dean of the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois-Chicago

• Morgan R. Olsen, executive vice president, treasurer and CFO at Arizona State University

• Mark Rudin, vice president for research and economic development at Boise State University

So which one of these guys knows about research?

45 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If this was on Bumper to Bumper, the button: Are you serious... would be hit right now

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3938693-rejected-und-presidential-applicant-considering-options

I know everybody wants another Tom Clifford, but those people are few and far between.

And, by the way, I think you meant "You cannot be serious!" by John McEnroe:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If this was on Bumper to Bumper, the button: Are you serious... would be hit right now

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3938693-rejected-und-presidential-applicant-considering-options

This is why I just despise Education Doctorates because all they seem to dwell on are PC issues.  Look at the last Dean and his problems.

• Upvote 1

Morgan R. Olsen, executive vice president, treasurer and CFO at Arizona State University, is my choice; however, they all seem to be worthy candidates. From an athletics standpoint, I hope the new president can appease UND stakeholders, increase fundraising, and further develop the UND athletics' budget distribution in such a way that elevates UND football and basketball to greatness. Of course, I - as well as many others - have several other investments and interests within the University that the new president will need to be competent in, as well. 

11 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If her "college" had more students than the sophomore class at GF Red River HS she might've been taken seriously. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The Lucky 7

Looking at that list, my personal opinions:

- you can keep Education majors in today's hyper-PC world (out go Clay and Shirley)
- mentioning Shirley, he's not ready: VCSU and MSU in the NDUS are not enough 
- I'm stunned the former MN Congressman (Kennedy) is on the list
- Noren was up for the job in once before; I can say this because I'm not on the committee: I'm worried about age (see: Kelley)

I see Naganathan, Olsen, and Rudin as the top three. Two are research; one is the money guy who knows the State. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see Naganathan, Olsen, and Rudin as the top three. Two are research; one is the money guy who knows the State. 

One had the preference of the academia on the committee and one had the preference of everyone else. Not sure about the feelings on the third one.

Obviously Schafer won't be the next UND President, but what a breath of fresh air.  

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/north-dakota/3937721-schafer-work-together-meet-budget-challenge-und-interim-president-urges

Schafer said UND’s $5 million deficit, which administrators said was partially due to a legislatively mandated tuition cap, has been “solved.” He said salaries and existing programs were not cut.

“We are starting now with the challenge of meeting the governor’s allotments,” Schafer said in the video. “I’m positive that we can.”

Schafer said the university will be “looking hard at planned tuition increases and trying to stabilize those or drawing down those.” He also said he hopes to fully fund salary increases.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

I wish he would explain where the money was found or where cuts were made

How does a school cut $25 Million in expenses in one year is a good question. That's a lot of money.

$25 million in cuts they will need to do divide that by the number of students full time it comes out to: $2,400 per student.

Or in other words each full time* student would need to pay an additional $2,400 per year for the University to continue to operate the way it was this (or last) year. 

*or $1,600 each for full and part time students. 

27 minutes ago, Cratter said:

How does a school cut $25 Million in expenses in one year is a good question. That's a lot of money.

Doesn't sound like there is much room for cuts already based on them having to cut $5 Million that was already over the budget. 

If you figure in the $5 Million in cuts they just enacted plus the $25 million in cuts they will need to do and divide that by the number of students full time it comes out to: $$2,900 per student.

Or in other words each full time* student would need to pay an additional $2,900 per year for the University to continue to operate the way it was this (or last) year. 

*or $2,000 each for full and part time students. 

It's 25 million now?

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

It's 25 million now?

UND has a total budget of approximately $511,000,000. The Governor is asking for a reduction in budget of just over 4%. That would total approximately $20,000,000. If you included the original $5,000,000 shortfall that has been discussed since last spring it would total $25,000,000. However, Schafer announced on Monday that they had already taken care of the $5,000,000. So UND will have to look at finding the $20,000,000. This doesn't all come out of the general fund and tuition budget that educates the students. That budget is just under $178,000,000 (tuition alone is about $115,000,000) or just over 1/3 of the total budget. So they would need to cut about $7,000,000 out of the tuition and general fund, bringing that budget number down to around $171,000,000. The current grants and contracts budget is a little under $233,000,000 and the total budgets for the Med school and Med contracts and grants is about $101,000,000. These will also need to be reduced by about 4%.