SiouxSports.com Forum

Next UND President

UNDvince97-01

24 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

uhhhhh.....POTATO!?!?

I guess I can see your point.  I like fries as much as the next guy......crinkle, waffle, shoestring, steak, ect...  Now there's diversity.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxjoy said:

How do you recommend making ND or UND more diverse?  Honest question, no trolling or snark.

I wouldn't recommend anything other than acceptance and embracing and appreciating different cultures. If ND becomes more diverse than ND becomes more diverse and if ND doesn't become more diverse than ND doesn't become more diverse.

2 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

Why does it need to be more diverse?  Why force diversity.  If it happens, let it happen.  Why does UND need an associate VP for Diversity and Inclusion.  To me, the Neanderthal, that sounds like forcing issues.  The world is not inclusive, nor should it be.  People should be allowed to be free.

Again, just my opinion, but I think the students of North Dakota should be exposed to a variety of cultures to be able to be successful in the world.  If they are only seeing mainly white people at UND, they really haven't had the opportunity to stretch and grow as much as they could.  I don't necessarily believe that diversity can be forced, but I think that there are ways to bring more diverse students to campus, which can have positive impacts when handled correctly.

UND needs a VP for Diversity and Inclusion to guide the university faculty, staff and students in ways to embrace and appreciate different cultures.  Sadly, there are a lot of closed-minded or just simply uneducated people, and that has been shown here on campus too many times.  Disregarding offensive behavior as "oh, kids will be kids" is disregarding the feelings of others, and creates negative associations with UND, which should never happen.

I was talking to a student about a year ago, and she had an interesting experience.  She was born and raised in the U.S., but is Muslim, and keeps her head covered.  One day in her psych class, the instructor was discussing how foreigners adjust to life in the U.S.  The instructor then singled out this student, asking her to give an example of her experiences.  The student was embarrassed and confused: "Dude, I am from Minnesota".  It really upset her.  The instructor meant no ill will, but acted on assumptions based on lack of experience and exposure.

I guess I don't understand your comment about being free.  Are you picturing people being brought to UND against their will?

17 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I wouldn't recommend anything other than acceptance and embracing and appreciating different cultures. If ND becomes more diverse than ND becomes more diverse and if ND doesn't become more diverse than ND doesn't become more diverse.

To an extent I agree with your last sentence, but I also wonder if UND graduates would be at a disadvantage when out in the workforce without having the opportunity to gain experience collaborating with a variety of viewpoints/beliefs.

Ultimately, doesn't it all come down to creating the best prepared graduates from the best university?  :)

16 hours ago, siouxjoy said:

Again, just my opinion, but I think the students of North Dakota should be exposed to a variety of cultures to be able to be successful in the world.  If they are only seeing mainly white people at UND, they really haven't had the opportunity to stretch and grow as much as they could.  I don't necessarily believe that diversity can be forced, but I think that there are ways to bring more diverse students to campus, which can have positive impacts when handled correctly.

UND needs a VP for Diversity and Inclusion to guide the university faculty, staff and students in ways to embrace and appreciate different cultures.  Sadly, there are a lot of closed-minded or just simply uneducated people, and that has been shown here on campus too many times.  Disregarding offensive behavior as "oh, kids will be kids" is disregarding the feelings of others, and creates negative associations with UND, which should never happen.

I was talking to a student about a year ago, and she had an interesting experience.  She was born and raised in the U.S., but is Muslim, and keeps her head covered.  One day in her psych class, the instructor was discussing how foreigners adjust to life in the U.S.  The instructor then singled out this student, asking her to give an example of her experiences.  The student was embarrassed and confused: "Dude, I am from Minnesota".  It really upset her.  The instructor meant no ill will, but acted on assumptions based on lack of experience and exposure.

I guess I don't understand your comment about being free.  Are you picturing people being brought to UND against their will?

I am not picturing people being brought to North Dakota against their will.  But hiring a Diversity and Inclusion officer to "guide the university faculty, staff and students in ways to embrace and appreciate different cultures", sounds a whole lot like indoctrination.  I haven't lived in North Dakota for over 20 years and I have seen a whole lot of different cultures, some I like and some I don't. 

We have enjoyed having Taiwanese exchange students in our home over the past couple of years.  I enjoy going to the International Food Market and Hispanic grocery stores.  There are other cultures that I don't appreciate and refuse to embrace.  I want people to free to be able to discern that for themselves and not through indoctrination.  Freedom!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I am not picturing people being brought to North Dakota against their will.  But hiring a Diversity and Inclusion officer to "guide the university faculty, staff and students in ways to embrace and appreciate different cultures", sounds a whole lot like indoctrination.  I haven't lived in North Dakota for over 20 years and I have seen a whole lot of different cultures, some I like and some I don't. 

We have enjoyed having Taiwanese exchange students in our home over the past couple of years.  I enjoy going to the International Food Market and Hispanic grocery stores.  There are other cultures that I don't appreciate and refuse to embrace.  I want people to free to be able to discern that for themselves and not through indoctrination.  Freedom!

Spot on.

The key word is "indoctrination".......it's becoming the hidden agenda for a vast number of colleges/universities in this country.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Spot on.

The key word is "indoctrination".......it's becoming the hidden agenda for a vast number of colleges/universities in this country.

It's hardly even a hidden agenda.  Pretty much out in the open. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Spot on.

And what would you call what Rush Limbaugh does day after day? :whistling:

I guess it depends on where you stand, doesn't it? :wink:

For what it's worth, the fraternities and sororities on campus are very right-leaning and are a powerful force on-campus and in the community. And the business and aviation schools probably lean more to the right as well. So there is some balance there.

Bottom line is that UND is a great place to get an education and I want to keep it that way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

For what it's worth, the fraternities and sororities on campus are very right-leaning and are a powerful force on-campus and in the community. And the business and aviation schools probably lean more to the right as well. So there is some balance there.

Bottom line is that UND is a great place to get an education and I want to keep it that way.

Universities are getting more and more progressive and indoctrination is a serious issue.  Your comparison of Rush is a joke since you can choose to listen to Rush, you pay for an education and you should be free to voice your thoughts and not get entwined in having to feed back a professors opinion to get a grade.  The idea of a university teaching and creating free thinkers is an issue.  There has been more and more research on what the value of higher education actually is compared to what it used to be.  I will qualify that I am not a Rush fan and listen to him rarely.  There would be progressives that would be his equal if they would get the money from advertisers.  Progressives also have liberal leaning PBS that I will mention the tax payers also fund to a great degree.  There are arguments on how that should have equal time due to taxpayers not having a choice in its programming other than some fund drives.  It would be interesting how you see the frats and sororities being right leaning.  Have not heard that to be the case, but you might be right that they may be further right than other students.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Didn't know Rush was on faculty at a university

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

Universities are getting more and more progressive and indoctrination is a serious issue.  Your comparison of Rush is a joke since you can choose to listen to Rush, you pay for an education and you should be free to voice your thoughts and not get entwined in having to feed back a professors opinion to get a grade.  The idea of a university teaching and creating free thinkers is an issue.  There has been more and more research on what the value of higher education actually is compared to what it used to be.  I will qualify that I am not a Rush fan and listen to him rarely.  There would be progressives that would be his equal if they would get the money from advertisers.  Progressives also have liberal leaning PBS that I will mention the tax payers also fund to a great degree.  There are arguments on how that should have equal time due to taxpayers not having a choice in its programming other than some fund drives.  It would be interesting how you see the frats and sororities being right leaning.  Have not heard that to be the case, but you might be right that they may be further right than other students.

Fraternities and Sororities were hard-core righties when I was in school, but maybe that has changed. I don't think it has. And PBS is always asking for private donations because they need them; they are not 100% government funded like you implied. And I never had a professor impose his beliefs and/or opinions on me when I was in school. My professors (with few exceptions) were awesome to work with and were always open and welcoming during their office hours.

Personally, I think righties want a college experience that caters to their worldview. That is what private schools are for (Liberty Bob Jones, etc.). But remember, you have to pay for it yourself, no "sponging" off the government for loans and grants. :p

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Fraternities and Sororities were hard-core righties when I was in school, but maybe that has changed. I don't think it has. And PBS is always asking for private donations because they need them; they are not 100% government funded like you implied. And I never had a professor impose his beliefs and/or opinions on me when I was in school. My professors (with few exceptions) were awesome to work with and were always open and welcoming during their office hours.

Personally, I think righties want a college experience that caters to their worldview. That is what private schools are for (Liberty Bob Jones, etc.). But remember, you have to pay for it yourself, no "sponging" off the government for loans and grants. :p

Please quote me correctly.  I never said they were 100% funded, only funded to a great degree, in fact I mentioned the fund drives in my quote.  Not sure when you went to school, but I went there in the mid-80's and it is not the same place.  Did not have interaction with the frats or sororities to any degree, so I will not reference any of those changes.  I also never knew that a loan was sponging, unless you never pay it back.  Last I checked there was still interest on what you pay back, so the government actually makes money on that. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I had some extremely liberal teachers at NDSU.  Had some more right-leaning ones as well.  The difference was my right-leaning ones were a lot quieter about it.  Similar to celebrities political views.  

Any insight to the feeling on campus on what the faculty and students (who pay attention) are leaning towards?  I was surprised to talk with a couple different UND faculty that are leaning towards Shirley.  Caught me a little off guard but he must have impressed on his visit to campus and the feeling was he would get back to student interaction.  

I know some of you are involved with the university.  What are your thoughts as this process comes to a close?

Whoever is the next president of UND, that person should be happy that Ed Schafer is doing the heavy lifting before they arrive:

• nickname implementation (new logo) -- before you say it, Kelley oversaw the selection, not the implementation
  • state mandated budget cuts (that all schools in the State face)

Schafer said decisions will be made based on three overarching university priorities, which are providing the best possible student learning experience, serving the state of North Dakota and providing long-lasting, affordable and permanent career opportunities for employees.

Student learning, serve the State, and train people for useful, productive careers. What. A. Concept.

Clearly, Ed's background is not academia. ;)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3983046-update-difficult-decisions-ahead-und-job-and-program-cuts-possible-schafer

• Upvote 2

Didn't make the GF Herald article but there was an interesting comment in regards to athletics in his quote on WDAZ last night:

“Some staff are going to be impacted,” said Schafer. “Maybe not today, maybe a year from now, maybe two years from now...we're going to design how that goes. I have no doubt that there going to be some programs that we have this year, that we don't have next year, you know, I don't know if we're going to be eliminating a sport team or two as we go through the process. Everybody is going to be affected in one way or another.”

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Sounds like some people have already expressed their concern to Schafer over the abundance of "Vice Presidents" on campus.  That would be a good start.

This......^^^^.

Way too many layers to the onion.