SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Player21 said:

Just saw this on Twitter..........Not sure if he's with the company designing the new logo or not, but this popped up on my twitter feed so I thought I'd share.

2 new concept brand designs for the #NorthDakota #FightingHawks rename. Full package here: http://bit.ly/1R1qTuP 

https://www.behance.net/gallery/32002813/North-Dakota-Fighting-Hawks-Brand-Concepts

http://gridironlabs.com/about/

Article: Public input sought for Fighting Hawks logo development

The design firm working to create UND's Fighting Hawks logo is holding open forums in Grand Forks.

The public is invited to attend a meetings at 6 p.m.Tuesday in the Empire Arts Center and at 11:30 a.m. Thursday in the Memorial Union Ballroom. The second meeting is primarily for UND students, faculty and staff, but members of the public are also invited.

Uh ... why the Empire Arts Center? The union ballroom for the campus folks, sure. But ... the Empire? 

The logo is for Athletics.

Why not at ... Alerus Center, or The Betty, or The Ralph, or Hyslop, or High Performance Center.

All of those are places the public goes and they are UND Athletics focused. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Uh ... why the Empire Arts Center? The union ballroom for the campus folks, sure. But ... the Empire? 

The logo is for Athletics.

Why not at ... Alerus Center, or The Betty, or The Ralph, or Hyslop, or High Performance Center.

All of those are places the public goes and they are UND Athletics focused. 

Availability on (presumably) short notice?

Seating and existing AV equipment?  (Pretty much rules out HPC.)

Lots of legitimate explanations lest anyone not be looking for a conspiracy.

Maybe SMC is getting a comprehensive tour of athletics facilities while they're here.

Not sure why we have to complain or make an issue about every little thing.  Can't wait to hear about their ties not matching their socks.

• Upvote 3

I think of Empire Arts as not where you'd find sports fans but folks that were behind how we got here in the first place. I want sports fans giving the input, not the "Leigh Jeanottes" and "Lucy Ganges" of the world. 

Am I stereotyping the Empire Arts crowd? Yup. And if you don't like it please see my attorneys' Facebook page

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think of Empire Arts as not where you'd find sports fans but folks that were behind how we got here in the first place. I want sports fans giving the input, not the "Leigh Jeanottes" and "Lucy Ganges" of the world. 

Am I stereotyping the Empire Arts crowd? Yup. And if you don't like it please see my attorneys' Facebook page

I'm fine with it. They're doing more than one venue so they can canvas more than one demo perhaps.

I attended the open forum tonight. They hope to have a new logo/branding done by May 31.

They will start with five designs, then narrow it down to three, and then finally two. Once at two they will test the concepts.

They asked six questions in regard to the logo/branding and allowed time for comments/discussion. 

*If you're interested in providing feedback, here is the Survey Monkey link 

On 2/28/2016 at 0:12 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Been in ATL for a few days......."Hawks" is just a poor nickname with limited good design options especially for a university where that nickname that already been beaten to death by many school.

I'm still getting used to trying not to perk up when I hear "Hawks" on tv. 

There was no doubt when I heard Sioux. I was never disappointed. :sad:

12 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

I attended the open forum tonight. They hope to have a new logo/branding done by May 31.

They will start with five designs, then narrow it down to three, and then finally two. Once at two they will test the concepts.

They asked six questions in regard to the logo/branding and allowed time for comments/discussion. 

*If you're interested in providing feedback, here is the Survey Monkey link 

Key question is:

How are they going to "test the concepts"?

Here is what they asked:

1. What does UND Athletics represent to the state of ND?

2. What did the old Fighting Sioux logo represent? What did it stand for?

3. List 5 characteristics that need to be captured by the new Fighting Hawks logo. 

4. What graphic elements, icons, and imagery should be explored by the branding process? 

5. Should the new logo feel more contemporary or classic/traditional college sports? 

6. The branding process for the new Fighting Hawks identity should explore what additional colors and why? 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3960023-forum-attendees-want-unds-logo-be-unique-not-cheesy-bird

Only about 20 people attended the forum, ...

Not sure if I'm embarrassed or not, but weren't the designers told all about how fiercely loyal, rabid, and passionate the UND fan base was, and about how much the University meant to the community and the people of North Dakota?  That's all we've heard for months, especially on here...designers need to do this, designers need to do that, I want a lollipop, designers need to hear from me, my opinion matters, look at what I drew.

There needs to be an absolute moratorium on future negative logo comments by anyone on here who lives within 100 miles of GF and didn't bother to show up.

• Upvote 3