SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I can't imagine a logo that isn't a bird.  The voters that voted for Fighting Hawks (I guess they are out there, still haven't met one yet) didn't vote for a plane.  No need to add avoidable controversy buy picking a logo that is not what was voted for. 

Hard to know what anybody who voted for F'Hawks was/is thinking at any given moment. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Hard to know what anybody who voted for F'Hawks was/is thinking at any given moment. :)

Well......some of us saw it as the lesser of two evils.  For those worried the new hawk logo will be all cartoony and corny and sissified, can you imagine what kind of a gayed up cartoon cowboy riding a happy go lucky horsey we would've gotten with Roughriders?    

:blink: 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Well......some of us saw it as the lesser of two evils.  For those worried the new hawk logo will be all cartoony and corny and sissified, can you imagine what kind of a gayed up cartoon cowboy riding a happy go lucky horsey we would've gotten with Roughriders?    

:blink: 

While I personally would have preferred Riders over some f*cking bird name, staying just North Dakota was clearly what the majority wanted.  To me Hawks is just a step above Sundogs.  Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, burronation said:

So, did I miss the part in history where the P-40 War Hawk was ever actually called a "Fighting Hawk" or has any relevance to North Dakota?  

I'm with you.  As much as I have affection for the P-40 War Hawk (one of the first books I pulled out of the Milbank Carnegie Library as a youngster was a book about Claire Chennault's Flying Tigers, and I promptly built a model P-40), I just don't get the association here.

6 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Aren't we past the part where the nickname has any specific meaning/tie to North Dakota as a state?

Not sure if I understand your question, but it doesn't matter to me if it has a connection to the state.  I just don't see the connection between "Fighting Hawks" and "Warhawk"

3 minutes ago, dagies said:

Not sure if I understand your question, but it doesn't matter to me if it has a connection to the state.  I just don't see the connection between "Fighting Hawks" and "Warhawk"

I thought you were confused as to what the connection with North Dakota and a Warhawk was and I was just stating that we missed that boat a long time ago.  As far as a connection from Fighting Hawk to Warhawk,  a Warhawk is a plane with the name Hawk in it that is generally used in aerial fights (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, my aviation knowledge is quite shallow).

People are looking for something, anything that they can grasp on to that might produce a decent looking logo.  If it's stretching the name Fighting Hawk a bit to not become the 43rd bird mascot and hold a little originality, I'm all for it. Also, I don't believe(again correct me if I'm wrong) that the committee ever outlined what each nickname meant, as in stating that a Fighting Hawk had to be an animal.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Blackheart said:

While I personally would have preferred Riders over some f*cking bird name, staying just North Dakota was clearly what the majority wanted.  To me Hawks is just a step above Sundogs.  Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...

There's clearly some roughrider butthurt still out there, but you're definitely taking the healthiest approach, as are the majority.