SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You mean to tell me  that you haven't heard anyone yell "Go Hawks" in the past 3 months since it was selected?  I am F'n stunned.  Absolutely bewildered.  

I know right! I'm shocked it has not caught on either since it is such a cool nickname. :huh:

6 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Watch the post game interviews, see what the players (you know the people we are cheering for) call themselves...lol

When the players gather before the game around the goalie and net, listen to what they say when they put their hands in and break. Hint....it's SIOUX!

None of them wore the jersey or played under the name but call themselves Sioux.  That is weak.  

I get it they are "honoring history" or whatever.  But it's time to eventually realize the situation and they weren't part of it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

10 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

None of them wore the jersey or played under the name but call themselves Sioux.  That is weak.  

I get it they are "honoring history" or whatever.  But it's time to eventually realize the situation and they weren't part of it. 

Ever see young kids in Sioux jersey's? Yea, me too, thousands! Maybe they were one of them, at one time? Saying "they never wore it is weak" is weak! 

Ever heard of Jr Sioux? These players could have been dreaming about being a fighting Sioux since they could say it, you have no idea.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bigskyvikes said:

Ever see young kids in Sioux jersey's? Yea, me too, thousands! Maybe they were one of them, at one time? Saying "they never wore it" is weak! 

Ever heard of Jr Sioux? These players could have been dreaming about being a fighting Sioux since they could say it, you have no idea.

The 2015-2016 UND hockey team is the exact same is little Billy running around in his Sioux jersey.  Thanks for that.  

• Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

When the players gather before the game around the goalie and net, listen to what they say when they put their hands in and break. Hint....it's SIOUX!

So I guess it is safe to say that the hockey players are all in the "hockey only" crowd.  Who would have thought!! :D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So I guess it is safe to say that the hockey players are all in the "hockey only" crowd.  Who would have thought!! :D

Here we go again, on the merry go round.....

This is when I say, don't bite the hand that feeds you! Don't you ever get tired of this same argument? How many times have you done this?

53 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

The people criticizing the people that still love the Sioux name are just as bad as the babies bitching about everything to do with any name! IMO.

Loving Sioux, loving Fighting Hawks, and most of all loving UND are NOT mutually exclusive.

I am not criticizing anyone for loving Sioux.  I am critical of people who seem to go out of their way to complain about Fighting Hawks and a logo they haven't even seen yet, all in the name of some self-proclaimed healthy love of Sioux and, strangely, out of love for UND.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's make this very clear..........there is nothing more "douche'" than a pathetic generic politically correct nickname that is nothing more than an embarrassment to the great university I graduated from...and still support.  I'm more pissed that "F-n Hawks" is something I have to deal with more so than having to deal without "Fighting Sioux".

.........and for the record I have been a season ticket holder in multiple sports for years and have yet to hear anyone........ANYONE.......in the sections I sit in yell "Go Hawks" since the new nickname has been chosen.  

Wait until September when Bubba's Hawks takes the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Wait until September when Bubba's Hawks takes the field.

Well I do sit next to his brother.......so it is a possibility I'll hear for the first time.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Well I do sit next to his brother.......so it is a possibility I'll hear for the first time.

With a new logo, a non-Sioux friendly place like the Alerus, and with Bubba wearing Hawks gear to practice, I think the Alerus will be a Hawks haven for the football team and fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

With a new logo, a non-Sioux friendly place like the Alerus, and with Bubba wearing Hawks gear to practice, I think the Alerus will be a Hawks haven for the football team and fans.

..........you run with that.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

.........and for the record I have been a season ticket holder in multiple sports for years and have yet to hear anyone........ANYONE.......in the sections I sit in yell "Go Hawks" since the new nickname has been chosen.  

And there lies the problem.   Until people start accepting the new name the wounds will just continue to fester and the entire program will be stuck in the past and dragged down.   We are trying to move forward and can't.   I'll grant you, Hawks wasn't my first choice.  Hell, it wasn't even my 5th choice but we have it, so let use it.   I'm sure the new recruits we are dealing with would be more comfortable with the Hawks name since that's what it is.   It is what it is and it's not going to change.   Why make things so miserable?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

As one who wanted UND to adopt Roughriders from the start, it is still THE University of North Dakota, and if Fighting Hawks is the name, whether it was something I liked or not, just doesn't matter. Fighting Hawks is the name that was chosen. Would rather just go by Hawks than the clumsy sounding Fighting Hawks, but it still doesn't matter. The teams on the field, court, ice, diamond, course, whatever, ... still represent THE University of North Dakota.

And as I said above, at least it's not Sundogs.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Loving Sioux, loving Fighting Hawks, and most of all loving UND are NOT mutually exclusive.

I am not criticizing anyone for loving Sioux.  I am critical of people who seem to go out of their way to complain about Fighting Hawks and a logo they haven't even seen yet, all in the name of some self-proclaimed healthy love of Sioux and, strangely, out of love for UND.

Nothing I wrote was directed at you. Actually I agree with most of what you wrote. I still love the Sioux name, and always will. But I am not against the FH name either.

Lot of drama on this website, things are made out to be much worse then they really are!

Again, nothing directed at what you wrote...

12 hours ago, TRex said:

And there lies the problem.   Until people start accepting the new name the wounds will just continue to fester and the entire program will be stuck in the past and dragged down.   We are trying to move forward and can't.   I'll grant you, Hawks wasn't my first choice.  Hell, it wasn't even my 5th choice but we have it, so let use it.   I'm sure the new recruits we are dealing with would be more comfortable with the Hawks name since that's what it is.   It is what it is and it's not going to change.   Why make things so miserable?

"Accepting".....guess that is defined differently by different people.  I have "accepted" F-n Hawks is the new nickname but that doesn't mean like a lemming I'm automatically going to start chanting "Go Hawks" or buy a t-shirt that just has "Fighting Hawks" on it just because that is what some of you think is best for "healing" on this nickname issue. Making things miserable?  Again that might be your take but my season ticket(s) renewal for next year (2016-2017) will have nothing to do with Fighting Hawks or Fighting Sioux but has everything to do with the University of North Dakota. I'm excited to head to MSP to watch UND play in the NCHC tournament this week and hopefully at the X the following week. My support of UND have never hinged on a nickname and that won't change even with the new nickname.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Accepting".....guess that is defined differently by different people.  I have "accepted" F-n Hawks is the new nickname but that doesn't mean like a lemming I'm automatically going to start chanting "Go Hawks" or buy a t-shirt that just has "Fighting Hawks" on it just because that is what some of you think is best for "healing" on this nickname issue. Making things miserable?  Again that might be your take but my season ticket(s) renewal for next year (2016-2017) will have nothing to do with Fighting Hawks or Fighting Sioux but has everything to do with the University of North Dakota. I'm excited to head to MSP to watch UND play in the NCHC tournament this week and hopefully at the X the following week. My support of UND have never hinged on a nickname and that won't change even with the new nickname.

And I hope no one is questioning the loyalty or support of the Sioux Forever crowd.   If anything, some are supporters to a fault, but all UND fans do still know what the bottom line is, as you have pointed out.

• Upvote 1