SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

Thanks for putting that all together.     Still room to be concerned, IMO, with SME....If you look at many of their college logos it's pretty run of the mill stuff.   BC's eagle, Louisville's cardinal with teeth, the cartoonish characters in many of them.  Will hope this low price proposal doesn't necessarily mean we're getting an off the rack solution.

I home SME will produce a logo that uses all of the same colors that were in the Brien logo.  Doesn't necessarily have to have the same feathers (although I don't see why not).  By using all the same colors (brown, green, yellow, red, white, black) from the old logo. it will help people adapt more easily to the new logo.  

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I home SME will produce a logo that uses all of the same colors that were in the Brien logo.  Doesn't necessarily have to have the same feathers (although I don't see why not).  By using all the same colors (brown, green, yellow, red, white, black) from the old logo. it will help people adapt more easily to the new logo.  

I agree, and not just as a way to connect to the old logo.  I just think part of what makes the Sioux logo stand out is that it's not just a green logo on a white jersey or vice-versa.  I like the idea of more colors in the logo vs less.

1 hour ago, dagies said:

Still room to be concerned, IMO, with SME....If you look at many of their college logos it's pretty run of the mill stuff.

If by "run of the mill" you mean collegiate athletic logos, then yeah.  Because that's what they are, collegiate athletic logos.  Yes, friends, collegiate athletic logos tend to look an awful lot like collegiate athletic logos.  And everyone needs to brace themselves because UND is going to get…a collegiate athletic logo.  Because that's what UND asked for and that's what UND needs, a collegiate athletic logo.

I am worried that too many people here honestly believe that lightning can strike twice.  It can't.  No big city design firm can do it, no student or local can do it, and not even Ben Brien can do it.  Even if somebody -- anybody -- COULD do something that is truly great, we might not even realize it for a while, because the bar has been set too high, and people have unrealistic expectations.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride as a UND fan/alum/supporter, because if you are looking only at the next UND logo with one eye trained on the last, you almost certainly won't like the view.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Duff said:

Someone on Reddit college football has a big write up that includes all of the proposals. Surprised I haven't seen this here yet. Link

Direct link to google folder with all of the Proposals

Excellent stuff, thank you for posting. I liked SME's proposal.

Interesting that the "local" candidate had a cost 3x that of the winner and that is without them having to add any travel expenses.

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Excellent stuff, thank you for posting. I liked SME's proposal.

Interesting that the "local" candidate had a cost 3x that of the winner and that is without them having to add any travel expenses.

They knew the history, realized what a pain in the ass project this would be, and scoped accordingly

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on Twitter..........Not sure if he's with the company designing the new logo or not, but this popped up on my twitter feed so I thought I'd share.

2 new concept brand designs for the #NorthDakota #FightingHawks rename. Full package here: http://bit.ly/1R1qTuP 

https://www.behance.net/gallery/32002813/North-Dakota-Fighting-Hawks-Brand-Concepts

Cb_giZCUYAAokBF.jpg

Cb_giYlUkAEef4N.jpg

Still hate the name, probably never going to love it, or the logos. BUT I could live with either of these. They're not too bad. Although I don't see them landing on the hockey jersey's I think they will stick with the North Dakota or ND, which is fine. The first concept logo, actually looks pretty decent on the football helmet.