SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

It's weird in the REA tonight! When they announce, "Fighting Hawks penalty" there's a murmur at best of booing???

Oh yea, the STUDENTS are gone...:lol:

I actually thought the "Sioux" stuff was just as much or more noticeable tonight than normal. Guess I didn't notice a change in the reaction to Hawks mentions but you could be right. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I actually thought the "Sioux" stuff was just as much or more noticeable tonight than normal. Guess I didn't notice a change in the reaction to Hawks mentions but you could be right. 

I didn't say anything about Sioux chants?

I said booing after fighting Hawks was announced. The Sioux chants have not died and probably won't for years. But your buddy said many times the booing after fighting hawks is the whole building and I have told him several times it's only the students. Tonight pretty much proved that to be true.

Soooooo, ya....

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dagies said:

I wasn't arguing with you.  Only making the observation

Nope, me either on the arguing. Just making sure people understand I was only saying the booing is coming from the students. They were gone and so was the booing. Many many many Sioux chanters though, and it was super cool last night! The players said "Sioux" a few times in their post game interviews.

We bought new Sioux gear at Scheels today, around 12:30 and it was flying out the door.

51 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Nope, me either on the arguing. Just making sure people understand I was only saying the booing is coming from the students. They were gone and so was the booing. Many many many Sioux chanters though, and it was super cool last night! The players said "Sioux" a few times in their post game interviews.

We bought new Sioux gear at Scheels today, around 12:30 and it was flying out the door.

Flying like a Hawk.:p

• Downvote 2

On 3/10/2016 at 11:13 AM, dagies said:

Someone around here has been on this kick in the past.   But pulling in an association with an airplane configured for the Argentinians does little for me

........as compared to the lame cartoonish bird logo well be stuck with?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Once the logo is announced and UND starts selling gear with it displayed (ESPECIALLY on the front of hockey jerseys), the amount of Hawks gear in the arenas will pick up and continue to grow.  It's not gonna happen overnight.

The hardest place to imagine a new logo is definitely on the hockey jersey.  Seems to me that would be the indicator that a new brand has actually taken root.  Not holding my breath for that one.

40 minutes ago, obborg said:

The hardest place to imagine a new logo is definitely on the hockey jersey.  Seems to me that would be the indicator that a new brand has actually taken root.  Not holding my breath for that one.

Chicken and egg. The ONLY place IMHO to launch this brand if UND is serious is right there, front-and-center on the hockey jersey. It will sink or swim (or fly) from there.

10 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

As we inch ever closer to the dawn of a new era at UND, it is increasingly frustrating to read these kinds of comments from what I perceive to be passionate UND fans.

"Sioux," "Fighting Sioux," a drawing…these are just transitory symbols.  If your passion starts and stops at these symbols, I hope you get the worst, lamest, gimmicky, cartoonish, caricature of a goofy-looking bird imaginable, because that is what you deserve.  (And let's face it, because you are setting the bar so high, and because you refuse to see the logo for what it is, that is EXACTLY what you are going to get.)  At some point, y'all can huddle together somewhere and wallow in your collective misery.  But for the love of God, not here.  Not anymore.

The University of North Dakota is where your passion should start and stop.  It is the constant.  Still, many have not embraced "Fighting Hawks" (another symbol), and many have predetermined that they are not going to embrace whatever visual representation comes next.  With sarcasm and negative energy and vitriol and bile, you treat this entire process as an ongoing insult and a disgrace, and an affront, rather than the necessary transition it became.  Yes, you're "stuck" with it.  Get over it.  It's done.  It's bigger than any of us, and all of us.

For UND fans, loving the school's nickname is not an option.  Nor is pouring your passion into the yet-to-be-determined logo.  Because at the end of the day, what the hell else is anyone cheering for?  Drawing your own unofficial logos, making your own unofficial shirts, dismissing artwork that hasn't yet been conceived, criticizing everyone and everything…to what end?  You're all coming across as a bunch of petulant brats, acting out because they didn't get their way.  Maybe the University doesn't need you as much as you think.  And I think there are an increasing number of fans on this site who, though quiet, are tired of the routine.

The logo will be chosen, and many of you will not 'like' it.  Not at first, anyway.  You might question a line or a brush or a color or a gesture or a this or a that.  You may want to hate it altogether.  But it's yours and you sure as heck won't be able to do anything about it.  So why not bite your lip, put on a smile, embrace it, and buy and wear the hell out of it.  Whatever it looks like.  Come on here and rave about it.  And if you don't love it, then shame on you, because it is merely another symbol of that which you already proclaim to.

Negative nellies, vote me down all you want, but do us all a favor and look inwardly first.  Because there is likely something amiss in there; a personal pain or flaw that you are simply projecting here.  The University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks are fighting to hang number 8, and they and their fans need your energy.

I am assuming everyone on this forum, minus the trolls, is a die hard UND fan.  Equating the lack of "embrace" for the new name to lack of support for the team is ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Thanks for the lecture Dad..............can I at least now borrow the keys to the station wagon?

.............and by the way "GO SIOUX"!

He isn't wrong.  Yelling 'Go Sioux" at a game is becoming more douche' by the week, and is usually followed by an awkward look, wondering if people think you are cool for doing it.  ???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He isn't wrong.  Yelling 'Go Sioux" at a game is becoming more douche' by the week, and is usually followed by an awkward look, wondering if people think you are cool for doing it.  ???

Let's make this very clear..........there is nothing more "douche'" than a pathetic generic politically correct nickname that is nothing more than an embarrassment to the great university I graduated from...and still support.  I'm more pissed that "F-n Hawks" is something I have to deal with more so than having to deal without "Fighting Sioux".

.........and for the record I have been a season ticket holder in multiple sports for years and have yet to hear anyone........ANYONE.......in the sections I sit in yell "Go Hawks" since the new nickname has been chosen.  

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Been to a game in a while? A good portion of the crowd had a loud 'Let's Go Sioux' chant going on Saturday night.

15 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Watch the post game interviews, see what the players (you know the people we are cheering for) call themselves...lol

The people criticizing the people that still love the Sioux name are just as bad as the babies bitching about everything to do with any name! IMO. 

Even though I agree with much of the long post above, I do not agree with anything said about people not liking his neighbor at the game chanting the Sioux name! I'm at almost every game and I don't see it! The more intense and important the game is, the louder the Sioux chant is! 

When the players gather before the game around the goalie and net, listen to what they say when they put their hands in and break. Hint....it's SIOUX!

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's make this very clear..........there is nothing more "douche'" than a pathetic generic politically correct nickname that is nothing more than an embarrassment to the great university I graduated from...and still support.  I'm more pissed that "F-n Hawks" is something I have to deal with more so than having to deal without "Fighting Sioux".

.........and for the record I have been a season ticket holder in multiple sports for years and have yet to hear anyone........ANYONE.......in the sections I sit in yell "Go Hawks" since the new nickname has been chosen.  

You mean to tell me  that you haven't heard anyone yell "Go Hawks" in the past 3 months since it was selected?  I am F'n stunned.  Absolutely bewildered.