SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

what are people's thoughts on voter turnout for round 2?  

will round 2 result in thousands more people voting?  (doubt it)  

will fewer people end up voting, based on their original choice being eliminated and they couldn't care less now?  (maybe)  

To borrow from "The Naked Gun"...

Experts say there's a 50/50 shot at more voters in Round 2...although there's only a 33% chance of that.

When a committee gathered public nickname suggestions from the public throughout the month of April, Fighting Hawks was submitted twice.

Variations of “Nodaks” were submitted 124 times to the committee.

Variations of Roughriders was submitted about 650 times by members of the public 

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 3

And if Kelley left Nodaks out of the equation, he would be accused of trying to put sandbags up to stop the rising tide of that choice.  Like I said, he couldn't win either way with this decision. 

Excellent use of the word "capisce," BTW.  Nicely done!

Yes...... but, people will complain regardless.... but in the case of Nodaks, any complainers wouldn't have a leg to stand on....  Nodaks got third most votes, so it's out...

well, I figured since you're mafia and all you'd appreciate some Italian.   :)

• Upvote 1

gross. Nothing like a bland option similar to the transition Of every other native American team. 

It is what it is, but I was definitely surprised at how many people voted for that one.

I didn't vote for it, but I certainly won't be bitter if it wins the majority again. In fact, I may switch my vote for it this second time around. The potential logo could be neat. 

That "fake logo" must be being floated around by the hockey only fans, right?  

sorry, didn't mention anything about hockey fans (I'm a 10 plus year hockey ticket holder btw), just don't think people should  solely base a vote on a logo UND will never use. I say that as someone who doesn't mind fighting Hawks.

speaking of just hockey fans I do think the active campaigning by the hockey coach team and hockey beat writer did give Nodak an extra 10-15%. I think if they would've done the same for Roughriders or Fighting Hawks we'd probably have a new nickname. That's good to see that voters realize Nodak is a name we've had before and don't need again even with all the campaigning the last two weeks. 

The  final vote should be between the top two FH and RR and UND should clear up that any logos floating around for either name will not be the logo used if chosen. UND will come up with their own.

Thats about as fair as it gets imo.

• Upvote 1

I didn't vote for it, but I certainly won't be bitter if it wins the majority again. In fact, I may switch my vote for it this second time around. The potential logo could be neat. 

"neat"........that's what I'm looking for in logo.

Yippee!!!

• Upvote 1

My question is this:

Will Kelley backtrack on putting three on the ballot or will he backtrack on not requiring a majority vote in round two? 

Backtracking and changing the rules midstream are the only parts of this process that have been consistent. 

• Upvote 2

Kelley never ceases to amaze.   stick to the original plan, please!  even if the one I voted for would be eliminated, keep the process honest!   given the percentages, there probably won't be any name receiving 50% after this second vote.    get ready for round 3.  WTF.

this is pretty big of you to say. I don't know if I would say Id say the same had the roles been flipped

Edward John Peltier's photo.

Saw this going around facebook a couple weeks ago. Lots of people commenting that they LOVE the logo and will be voting for Fighting Hawks because of this logo specifically. Never thought it would get that much traction.

That logo is supposably owned by the Blackhawks.

They said the most votes in the run off is the new name I thought? Nothing about a majority, that was only the first round.

Ummmmmmmm.....I'm not a Math Wizard but if only 2 choices out of the 5 make it to round 2 like Kelley original stated by default the winner of the 2 choices left will have a majority of the vote.

• Upvote 1

I believe this is an underhanded, sneaky attempt to stop Roughriders from winning. I also think Kelley wants Fighting Hawks to win so that the consultant they hired looks like a good investment. Finally, putting Nodaks on the final ballot is throwing a bone to the Fighting Sioux Hardliners and the Hockey-Only crowd so they couldn't scream "conspiracy". Leading by not leading, that's the Kelley way.

• Upvote 3