SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

If voting is kept at three and no majority is needed, Fighting Hawks is almost assured of a victory.  

I'm sick.  Could have lived with NoDaks, loved RR, but not to be a dumb bird like everyone else is.

The Sundogs and North Stars votes would almost all have to go for RR or NoDaks Forrest those to win.

It should be a final two, which is what Kelley promised.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It is really hard to believe that anybody is trying to rig the vote by adding a third choice.  I'm sure the conversation was:  there is no statistical difference between 2 and 3 so let's include both.  Not - I bet we can swing the final vote to __________  if we include three options.

I guess this kills the talk that the fix was in for North Stars.

Then that should have been foreseen before they made the rules.  They could have said there could be up to 5 names in a vote off if they all fall within a margin of error.  The fact they didn't cover all bases when they had already pissed many people off beyond belief, well, is just beyond belief!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dr. Kelley needs to step back and follow the process he defined and just go with two. 

Otherwise how are we to not believe that he'll change the rules again this round? 

He needs to maintain the integrity of his own process. 

There's something you don't read every day:  The words "Dr. Kelley" and "integrity"  being used in the same conversation.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The student voice wins.  Not that the students shouldn't participate, but the alumni are divided by NoDaks and Roughriders, so their voice is essentially divided and is not heard.

Kelley needs to make a third vote if no nickname gets a majority, like he agreed before.

Kelley is such a joke.

• Upvote 2

The student voice wins.  Not that the students shouldn't participate, but the alumni are divided by NoDaks and Roughriders, so their voice is essentially divided and is not heard.

Kelley needs to make a third vote if no nickname gets a majority, like he agreed before.

Kelley is such a joke.

With all due respect, I'd like to see the voting breakdown before I start throwing stones at the student-block of Fighting Hawk fans.  

With all due respect, I'd like to see the voting breakdown before I start throwing stones at the student-block of Fighting Hawk fans.  

Well that block of Fighting Hawk voters wasn't here, which is mainly alumni.

Where did it come from?

SunDogs came from mainly the faculty.

May as well just let the students vote.

Edited by SiouxVolley

However Kelley wants to continue to ____ this up is fine with me as long as the new nickname receives 50+% of the vote at some point.

How Kelley has really handled this is not fine with me................just clarifying in case someone was wondering.

• Upvote 1

SiouxSports.com is a very, very small sampling of eligible voters.

I'm sure you realize that a Gallop poll is too.  But it's still accurate +/- 3%.  

What missing is that Siouxsports is not representative of all voters, just the informed ones.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1

I believe this is an underhanded, sneaky attempt to stop Roughriders from winning. I also think Kelley wants Fighting Hawks to win so that the consultant they hired looks like a good investment. Finally, putting Nodaks on the final ballot is throwing a bone to the Fighting Sioux Hardliners and the Hockey-Only crowd so they couldn't scream "conspiracy".

I don't agree with you often, fs4l, but after mulling this over a bit, I think you might be onto something here.  Kelley has effectively made about 5,000 Nodaks voters happy while at the same time, ensuring that those "eliminated" votes now don't swing over to Rough Riders and pole-vault that choice to victory. 

Consultants look like geniuses, Kelley doesn't have to worry about those nasty Indian comments from Teddy Roosevelt coming to the surface, win-win for everyone!

• Upvote 2

What is the traditional margin of error needed before a recount in an election?  It seems to me  over 100 votes is a lot for how many votes were cast between Roughriders and Nodaks.  The question needs to be asked where was he going to draw the line.  Kelley just continues to cause dissent in the UND fan and Alumni base by his lack of foresight.  

Edited by tnt

This is a unique situation that quite frankly needs to be flexible. I want a nickname that everyone wants and accommodating that by allowing 3 finalist because 2 were essentially tied is only practical. I think the winner needs to have 50 percent of the vote so I hope that there is a third if the November 2nd vote doesn't get that. 

And I thought sundogs was the establishment choice? Or is the establishment choice any that siouxsports.com doesn't agree with? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this is pretty big of you to say. I don't know if I would say Id say the same had the roles been flipped

thanks ericpnelson.    I respect the original process laid out for the voting.  Not following the plan just adds another level of frustration and skepticism for the passionate fans/alumni/donors.

• Upvote 1