SiouxSports.com Forum

So Bresciani has a goal to make NDSU AAU ....

SiouxVolley

On 1/31/2016 at 7:30 AM, UND1983 said:

“The governor’s office purchases coach only for governor, lieutenant governor and all staff,” spokesman Jeff Zent told me.

In fact, Lt. Gov. Drew Wrigley was in Israel on state business while Bresciani was visiting India. Wrigley, Zent confirmed, got a coach class ticket.

Game. Set. Match. 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Game. Set. Match. 

But don't tell McFeely that. http://www.inforum.com/news/3936942-mcfeely-states-leaders-should-get-use-private-planes-not-force-fake-humility

Apparently criticism of NDSU is not allowed. Don't you know they have now won FIVE national titles in a row? Do you realize the exposure that brings to the state of ND? You can't jeopardize that with some frivolous questioning of El Presidente's judgement in flying business class when the only alternative would be to sit with the peasants in coach. He's IMPORTANT! duh. 

Riding Ist class I guess does get you to your destination a little quicker since you sit in the front of the plane.  McFooly doesn't get it.  The real issue isn't all about the money.  It's  more about the fact that Bresciani  gives the middle finger to the state.  He is arrogant and certainly is not a  team player.  It is all about himself.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

I am actually shocked at the Mc Mouth. Usually hes stirring the pot with anti NDSU rants. This is totally out of character for him.

Just go to his blog page.  Rubber knee pads have been on since he made the change to WDAY.   

He had to walk that company line.  Dom and Jeff can't get kicked out of practice again.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wonder what the NDSU students will think of this? Seventy thousand a lot of scholarship money (or lower student fees). 

https://sayanythingblog.com/entry/ndsu-foundation-pays-over-70k-for-bresciani-expenses-including-country-club-and-parties/

Just all part of "doing business." :silly:

Good work if you can get it... Watches sports and parties with people with deep pockets. 

"Hey wanna go to the NCAA Final Four basketball games, how about Taylor Swift? I'm buying!"

One can understand why the foundations don't want the state to be allowed to audit them.  When you're donating to a foundation, make sure you designate the funds for something (scholarships, endowed faculty, specific programs) or it may be used as a slush fund (even at UND), unless of course you don't care if your donation is being used to send the president on a fully paid vacation to attend the Final Four (where his school isn't even participating).

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2016 at 2:41 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But that's exactly the point...every employee stays at a $300 hotel when a $79 hotel would do, and every employee eats a $40 meal when a $7 meal would do. Multiply that by all of the rank and file employees traveling on the company dime, and then you've got something to talk about (I guarantee it's more than $7k). If you're not willing to call out the entire system for what it is, then your crusade is reduced to a petty witch hunt. The biggest problem here, perhaps, is that people only get up in arms when the controversy du jour is served up to them on a platter by the likes of Rob Port in the furtherance of some agenda.

I think you are the one making stuff up right now..  travel budgets are always reviewed.  This has been consistent with every company I have been with....  only the sales groups take the $300 and $40 for client contacts.

13 hours ago, FSSD said:

I think you are the one making stuff up right now..  travel budgets are always reviewed.  This has been consistent with every company I have been with....  only the sales groups take the $300 and $40 for client contacts.

Not when the conference they are attending is right there at the pricey hotel, and not when the meal per diem is pre-established. Budget lodging + cab fare is still cheaper than the urban hotel convention center, but employers generally don't push it. An employee on per diem (e.g., $X for breakfast, $XX for lunch, $XXX for dinner) who eats on the cheap simply pockets the difference. Bottom line is that employers often pay REGARDLESS of whether the employees are frugal and whether there were opportunities for savings. Nothing made up about that.

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Not when the conference they are attending is right there at the pricey hotel, and not when the meal per diem is pre-established. Budget lodging + cab fare is still cheaper than the urban hotel convention center, but employers generally don't push it. An employee on per diem (e.g., $X for breakfast, $XX for lunch, $XXX for dinner) who eats on the cheap simply pockets the difference. Bottom line is that employers often pay REGARDLESS of whether the employees are frugal and whether there were opportunities for savings. Nothing made up about that.

But there are checks and balances. While the employer will pay REDARDLESS. Expenses are usually checked and a reprimand will probably be placed if deemed excessive....we can play hypotheticals all day....a company wouldn't be happy if you stayed at the pricey hotel across the street instead of the conferences hotel. Or a dinner that's a $1000 because you bought multiple shots for the whole bar....Terms are usually set and understood beforehand (corporate walmart execs have to, or use to, share hotel rooms on trips.)

*I have no problem with a president of a large university traveling for business across the world to use business class. I guess the terms are still being worked out still after all these years at NDUS, as whether we agree or not it appears some new rules will be coming from the NDUS thanks to this. 

On 2/2/2016 at 2:33 PM, petey23 said:

Hey everybody. Can we please turn our attention back to President Kelley and UND's nickname story please. That would be great.

Sincerely,

Dean Bresciani

You mean the nick name fiasco that cost the ND tax payers upwards of 2 million dollars? Opps that would be deflection. :)

10 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You mean the nick name fiasco that cost the ND tax payers upwards of 2 million dollars? Opps that would be deflection. :)

At least the contract for the new logo and implementation is projected to cost less (~$49,500) than a year's worth of Bresciani's incidentals covered by the NDSU Foundation ($70K+), so I guess that's a bonus!

Plus I'd love to see your source that shows $2 million of taxpayer money was used but I won't hold my breath.

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

At least the contract for the new logo and implementation is projected to cost less (~$49,500) than a year's worth of Bresciani's incidentals covered by the NDSU Foundation ($70K+), so I guess that's a bonus!

Plus I'd love to see your source that shows $2 million of taxpayer money was used but I won't hold my breath.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/sports/push-to-save-fighting-sioux-name-puts-north-dakota-in-costly-limbo.html?_r=0

"Until this is resolved, either by referendum in June or by a state Supreme Court decision before that, the university finds itself in a costly pickle. Faison said the athletic department spent $750,000 on the original transition. He declined to predict the cost of changing back."

This was in 2012 and doesnt included the wasted money on legislative sessions etc etc etc dealing with this. Just last year there was an article that mentioned the real cost was a couple of million. I will look to see if I can find it.

15 minutes ago, bison73 said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/sports/push-to-save-fighting-sioux-name-puts-north-dakota-in-costly-limbo.html?_r=0

"Until this is resolved, either by referendum in June or by a state Supreme Court decision before that, the university finds itself in a costly pickle. Faison said the athletic department spent $750,000 on the original transition. He declined to predict the cost of changing back."

This was in 2012 and doesnt included the wasted money on legislative sessions etc etc etc dealing with this. Just last year there was an article that mentioned the real cost was a couple of million. I will look to see if I can find it.

Ah, so you're referring to costs that were due to changes mandated by the NCAA (which is what Faison referred to in the article, some of which were not actually incurred by UND) and then spitballing the rest? Not to mention the costs of changing uniforms and other gear that is replaced every couple of years (if not more frequently) is included in that number and would have be incurred regardless.

That article also fails to mention $750,000 was an estimate (not actual money spent) and over 3/4's of it ($575,000) was the estimate to come up with the new nickname and logo.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bison73 said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CX0qn6_WQAEGDUl.mp4

Flying Business Class is not the issue here and I have done it many times but that met with the rules my company has in place.

The fact that the rules governing Bresciani's travel stated that he was to fly coach unless approved by a President.  It sounds like he 'approved' the upgrade in travel for himself which is shady at best.  

16 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Flying Business Class is not the issue here and I have done it many times but that met with the rules my company has in place.

The fact that the rules governing Bresciani's travel stated that he was to fly coach unless approved by a President.  It sounds like he 'approved' the upgrade in travel for himself which is shady at best.  

Of course thats the issue. But hey while the horse may be dead theres no reason not to keep beating it. :lol:

I wonder if on that flight if there were any coach seats that were available? Who booked his flight? Dont schools have a travel coordinator like many businesses?

Just wondering.