SiouxSports.com Forum

So Bresciani has a goal to make NDSU AAU ....

SiouxVolley

29 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I see Rob Port found an email to Hagerott that says Brescani basically forced (asked) the NDSU Foundation to cover the difference.  Not a bunch of random volunteers from the local business world like he portrayed.  That guy is a piece of work.  

I feel like we've seen this story before... 

• Upvote 2

Can we please move on?

I have yet to see any conclusive proof of what fares were available at the time the infamous ticket was purchased. Only speculation based on after the fact internet searches. Anybody who has ever bought a plane ticket knows damn well that the "lowest available" fare depends on a lot of variables, including connection times, arrival times (important for executives), layovers, advance purchase, and length of stay. Not to mention whether you want a REFUNDABLE ticket which is usually desirable for business travel, as opposed to the bargain-hunting leisure crowd. I guarantee you that you can search fares right now and find the differential from coach to first class will vary wildly. I've seen it as little as $200 round-trip on an $800 ticket (25% for the math challenged).

Whether other university presidents fly coach is wholly irrelevant unless we are provided information about frequency and destinations. Hub-and-spoke flights to MSP, Denver, and Chicago are a far cry from intercontinental travel.

I am continually amazed at how willing people are to take up pitchforks when a salacious story like this makes "news." I suspect it has more to do with class envy or even class warfare; most average Joes are going to have a predictable and negative, visceral reaction to the very notion of someone flying "first class." Yet, it would appear so few are willing to lift a finger to investigate whether there are any other systemic and institutionalized wastes, excesses, opportunities for savings in government that would make $7k look like absolute chump change. And maybe even without the collective embarrassment and drag on morale.

How can you justify a costly search for an executive, fork over a $300k+ salary, put him up in a $1M home, and then pinch pennies on something as stupid as this? What's next -- basic cable and generic TP? North Dakotans fancy themselves as frugal and austere, but all too often come across as short-minded and petty. I hope the UND candidates are all watching this nonsense unfold.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Mike "the social media machine"McFeely is silent. 

You noticed that as well? Strange since he's been so vocal about this. 

It's not that the Foundation is paying for it, it's that he intentionally misrepresented it after asking them to cover the tab. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

You noticed that as well? Strange since he's been so vocal about this. 

It's not that the Foundation is paying for it, it's that he intentionally misrepresented it after asking them to cover the tab. 

Not buying the 'intentional misrepresentation.' The notion that he lied is even suspect based on what I've seen, notwithstanding the semantics and the SAB spin and that of others with an axe to grind. Like most in his position, I suspect that El Presidente is both smart and careful with his words and tailored the various messages as he deemed appropriate.

And the suggestion by UND1983 that "forcing" and "asking" are even remotely synonymous defies explanation. There surely could have been donors who willingly came forward (i.e., volunteered) after whatever call went out from the Foundation. Does anyone actually believe that some Bison-loving schmuck was strong-armed to give? Frankly, given the ridiculous media circus of the past week, I'm sure several had their checkbooks out and would have stepped up with or without a plea from the mothership.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The worst part of Bresciani's actions haven't been noted.  Other NDSU employees flew coach and weren't given the option of coach+ or Business class.   That reeks of elitism by Bresciani, as he simply doesn't seem to care about the comforts of his employees, only himself.

Cite?

Maybe they didn't ask, or didn't even know it was a possibility. And I think one of his traveling companions was actually a former employee (retired VP), if I remember the original Forum article correctly.

He played the system and didn't think it would get noticed.  Integrity is how you act when nobody is watching and he didn't think anybody was watching.  I doubt he would have flown Business Class if he knew others would find out.

The rule was that he needed approval from the President so he approved it for himself.  I'm sure he realized that he was complying with the "letter of the law" but it doesn't pass the smell test.  As the Chancellor said it was technically legal but an embarrassment.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Cite?

Maybe they didn't ask, or didn't even know it was a possibility. And I think one of his traveling companions was actually a former employee (retired VP), if I remember the original Forum article correctly.

He went with Prakash Matthew, former NDSU VP, and one other STEM person who was named in an article that I can't find now.

Both these people were formerly Indian nationals presumably.

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

He played the system and didn't think it would get noticed.  Integrity is how you act when nobody is watching and he didn't think anybody was watching.  I doubt he would have flown Business Class if he knew others would find out.

The rule was that he needed approval from the President so he approved it for himself.  I'm sure he realized that he was complying with the "letter of the law" but it doesn't pass the smell test.  As the Chancellor said it was technically legal but an embarrassment.

I'm calling BS on all the holier-than-thou, hypocritical bitching. 

Who hasn't treated themselves better while traveling for work? Do you stay at the same level of hotel as you would traveling leisurely? I doubt it -- I sure as hell wouldn't be paying $300 a night for a room at a deluxe conference hotel while on vacation with the family. I'm willing to bet their were budget accommodations within walking distance of that last meeting you attended at the Grand Hyatt Regency, too.

How about meals? Do you spend your entire per diem, or pocket the difference? Ever given any of it back to your employer? Are you eating fast food, or hitting up the hotel cafe and fancy steakhouses with colleagues? How often do you take the wife and kids to Ruth's Chris?

Business travel drives an entire segment of the service industry, and the economy at large. The reason is simple...human beings tend to act differently while spending other people's money. If you think otherwise, you're either a saint, or delusional.

So Bresciani flew business class half way around the world. BFD. It's the overreaction that's truly embarrassing. Fire him, prosecute him, or STFU.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Who hasn't treated themselves better while traveling for work? Do you stay at the same level of hotel as you would traveling leisurely? I doubt it -- I sure as hell wouldn't be paying $300 a night for a room at a deluxe conference hotel while on vacation with the family. I'm willing to bet their were budget accommodations within walking distance of that last meeting you attended at the Grand Hyatt Regency, too.

How about meals? Do you spend your entire per diem, or pocket the difference? Ever given any of it back to your employer? Are you eating fast food, or hitting up the hotel cafe and fancy steakhouses with colleagues? How often do you take the wife and kids to Ruth's Chris?

Business travel drives an entire segment of the service industry, and the economy at large. The reason is simple...human beings tend to act differently while spending other people's money. If you think otherwise, you're either a saint, or delusional.

So Bresciani flew business class half way around the world. BFD. It's the overreaction that's truly embarrassing. Fire him, prosecute him, or STFU.

OK tough guy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Big difference between going to Ruth's Chris for supper and spending an additional $7000 for an airline ticket.  

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

On a proportional basis, maybe not. I can eat for $10, or I can eat for $150.

If he was only $140 over his allowance he wouldn't have come down with a sudden illness that requires first class treatment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, homer said:

Also, if he is willing to go $7000 over on a airline ticket, it's unlikely he is eating for $10/meal. 

But that's exactly the point...every employee stays at a $300 hotel when a $79 hotel would do, and every employee eats a $40 meal when a $7 meal would do. Multiply that by all of the rank and file employees traveling on the company dime, and then you've got something to talk about (I guarantee it's more than $7k). If you're not willing to call out the entire system for what it is, then your crusade is reduced to a petty witch hunt. The biggest problem here, perhaps, is that people only get up in arms when the controversy du jour is served up to them on a platter by the likes of Rob Port in the furtherance of some agenda.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But that's exactly the point...every employee stays at a $300 hotel when a $79 hotel would do, and every employee eats a $40 meal when a $7 meal would do. Multiply that by all of the rank and file employees traveling on the company dime, and then you've got something to talk about (I guarantee it's more than $7k). If you're not willing to call out the entire system for what it is, then your crusade is reduced to a petty witch hunt. The biggest problem here, perhaps, is that people only get up in arms when the controversy du jour is served up to them on a platter by the likes of Rob Port in the furtherance of some agenda.

Its only a big deal if someone wants it to be a big deal. If its about NDSU this is what some UND fans do. So lets see--- youre flying to India from Fargo ND. You going to fly coach or business class? Which one allows you to get more work done? The answer is simple. Unless you want to make a big deal about it.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But not everybody did in the party traveling to India.  Just one person. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The whole issue boils down to not being a good steward of someone else's money. 

I once had s guy turn in 2 receipts for dinner for the same night. I called him on it and he said the first meal wasn't good, so he went somewhere else to eat, charging both meals to the company. Some people think nothing of it, while others are good stewards. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1