SiouxSports.com Forum

So Bresciani has a goal to make NDSU AAU ....

SiouxVolley

One would have to think with UND not mentioning anything about cutting or delaying research spending (as far as I can tell) and NDSU basically only saying they'll delay research dollars (with barely mentioning anything else), they truly seem invested in increasing their research category (which means one would assume that's where all their discretionary spending is going) to get prepared for a hopeful FBS football conference invite. 

Apparently it's not just North Dakota simpletons.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-the-billionaire-founder-of-sam-adams-flies-coach-2016-5?r=UK&IR=T

"On those long trips to Munich [for beer-ingredient research], the upgrade from coach to first class is an extra $5,000," he writes. "I can't make the math work — the average person at Boston Beer makes $55,000 a year. How can I justify paying over a month's salary for a first-class ticket? Is having me get a little more legroom and a better meal really more valuable to the company than what the average person contributes every month? I've never believed that.".....

...... "every small thing that leaders do sets the tone and increases team members' commitment to the common cause," he writes.

"People are always sensitive to hypocrisy or compromises from managers, and the behavior of senior leaders is scrutinized, magnified, and commented on by everyone.".....

......"I also don't want everyone else to think that vanity and egotism are values our company encourages," he writes.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just couldn't let this one die, could you. ???

What's your point? So you found an executive who eschews the front of the airplane for ostensibly noble purposes. That makes other executives villains? Sorry, but a billionaire flying coach is a quaint novelty, not a valid business principle or a solution to perceived class inequality and rank envy. I can only imagine how much reading this story warmed the hearts of his employees who live paycheck to paycheck.

And until somebody shows me what the same flights in coach would have cost NDSU -- purchased at the same time with the same advance notice, fully-refundable, plus baggage fees and meals -- the Bresciani dustup remains a non-story. As I recall, the prices quoted in the press were the "lowest available fares" at the time the reporter went to the airline website, and were thus totally irrelevant for purposes of comparison. And I'm not even an NDSU apologist.

Let it go. Not even the Port-ophiles are talking about the India trip anymore.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

http://www.inforum.com/news/4041745-ndsu-looks-rapidly-expand-new-40-million-dorm-works

So UND cuts 2 sports and NDSU announces a 40 million dorm project? Where are they getting the cash.

Did you bother to read the story?

This new dorm is estimated to cost $39.5 million and would be funded through a local revenue bond, to be paid off by student room and board fees over 30 years, Nostrum said.

Although the project would require no state funding, the Legislature still has to "authorize for us as a state agent to go into that type of debt," Nostrum said.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Did you bother to read the story?

But 40 million, if they actually stick to that amount (see President's house), plus a budget cut required by all colleges in the state yes students will foot the bill, but building this plus no cutting of sports or programs, and they want to add 3500 more students in 4 years. New Bison motto....build it and pay for it later. Or is that the old motto.

36 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

But 40 million, if they actually stick to that amount (see President's house), plus a budget cut required by all colleges in the state yes students will foot the bill, but building this plus no cutting of sports or programs, and they want to add 3500 more students in 4 years. New Bison motto....build it and pay for it later. Or is that the old motto.

As UNDBIZ said, using housing payments to pay for building housing is pretty standard. That financing is totally separate from other financing for the operation of the school. The only question is how realistic their projections are and whether it looks like it will cash flow. At this point it doesn't look like there is much to see in this story as long as their student housing is full.

56 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

As UNDBIZ said, using housing payments to pay for building housing is pretty standard. That financing is totally separate from other financing for the operation of the school. The only question is how realistic their projections are and whether it looks like it will cash flow. At this point it doesn't look like there is much to see in this story as long as their student housing is full.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

11 hours ago, darell1976 said:

http://www.inforum.com/news/4041745-ndsu-looks-rapidly-expand-new-40-million-dorm-works

So UND cuts 2 sports and NDSU announces a 40 million dorm project? Where are they getting the cash.

Adding a new dorm - interesting - it seems the trend on other campuses is to move away from dorms as today's students prefer independence and many amenities that living in a dorm room can't provide. But I'll assume they've done their homework and know what they are doing.  

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND has room for a pharmacy school right now.  NDSU can have music therapy in exchange for pharmacy.  Sounds like the legislature would agree.

I've always thought it would make sense to move the school of mines (and it's associated programs) to NDSU and pharmacy to UND.  Seems like more of a natural fit for both institutions.  

46 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I've always thought it would make sense to move the school of mines (and it's associated programs) to NDSU and pharmacy to UND.  Seems like more of a natural fit for both institutions.  

If we're going "ifs and buts" I'd go back in time and run the main railroad line and Highway 10 (now I-94) where Highway 200 runs today. That way you'd probably have "Grand Fargo" and "Bisnot" as the two major cities. Then I'd put a university in each and be done for the whole state with the exception of maybe a two-year in the each and a two-year in the west. 

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

How about maintaining what you have before adding in more that won't be maintained?

http://www.inforum.com/news/4040000-ndsus-chemistry-building-aging-so-poorly-crews-may-let-it-burn-if-it-catches-fire 

Two completely different funding sources.  North Dakotas' universities can't bond for academic buildings or maintenance on those buildings.  Dorms are self sustaining sources of revenue.

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I understand that; however, the combination of "we can't maintain what we have" (linked article) with "hey, we want to build more" won't play well with many in the Legislature. 

No I get it.  And I think pretty much every university across the country could realize substantial savings by cutting administration, but at the same time if a university seriously shows a need for improved facilities (e.g. UND's medical school) the state has a responsibility to fund it.

14 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

No I get it.  And I think pretty much every university across the country could realize substantial savings by cutting administration, but at the same time if a university seriously shows a need for improved facilities (e.g. UND's medical school) the state has a responsibility to fund it.

The med school is a different scenario than what is being discussed with deferred maintenance and facilities not being cared for (something both UND and NDSU are guilty of). The med school was replaced because it continued to become more and more inadequate to try to use a hospital built in 1952 as a med school building, not because it was a deteriorating facility.

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The med school was replaced because it continued to become more and more inadequate to try to use a hospital built in 1952 as a med school building, not because it was a deteriorating facility.

Correct. The old Med School building (formerly St. Michael's Hospital) will be repurposed; it will house new departments. Older buildings (i.e. approaching 100 year old buildings) around campus will be retired.