SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Attendance

darell1976

This has been going on since the 1980's in the Old REA. And the hockey student section has been neutered by REA management in their quest to impose a "family friendly" atmosphere at games. I am surprised they don't do "Patty Cake" on the big screen so everybody can sing along with their toddlers. :silly:

You obviously don't have kids. The students are just as vulgar as they ever were. Just maybe don't do as much chanting. And certainly don't pay attention to the actual game as much as students used to.

By the way, these "toddlers" you see will some day be students, and some day be season ticket holders. It's never too early to create die-hard UND (SIOUX) fans.

Edited by choyt3
not sure why this is in the football forum??

Attendance today was 6,996.  Biggest home game of the DI era, and nobody saw it.  Students were weak as usual.  So was the rest of the building.  

It takes time. Winning a few games won't turn attendance around overnight. Disappointing, Yes ... but that's what happens when you have years of crap football.

In this region, the fall is preparation of winter time. Most folks do that on Saturday (because they're working the rest of the week). A 1 pm Saturday game blows the whole Saturday. If they'd run games later in the day you could get some things done and still go to the game. 

i know that some of the people that travel to the games appreciate having the 1 pm start. They have plenty of time to get to the game in the morning, and don't spend the entire evening driving home or have to spend the night. I think the coaches appreciate having the same schedule for each home game, so they wouldn't like having different times for hockey weekend versus non-hockey weekends.

So, before the game, we were 5-4.  The attendance was 6996.  What would the attendance be if we were 7-2?  Probably about the same.  There is obviously a lot of talk about playoffs and we have a good shot at making it if we win next week.  Let's say we do make the playoffs and we win the bid to host?  What will be the attendance for that game?  Obviously having the game on Thanksgiving is going to hurt attendance. (I would say especially students, but it will probably be the same).  First playoff game in the D1 era and I don't think we would even get 9000.  I really don't get it.  I guess there is more to do in Grand Forks in November than I thought!!

So, before the game, we were 5-4.  The attendance was 6996.  What would the attendance be if we were 7-2?  Probably about the same.  There is obviously a lot of talk about playoffs and we have a good shot at making it if we win next week.  Let's say we do make the playoffs and we win the bid to host?  What will be the attendance for that game?  Obviously having the game on Thanksgiving is going to hurt attendance. (I would say especially students, but it will probably be the same).  First playoff game in the D1 era and I don't think we would even get 9000.  I really don't get it.  I guess there is more to do in Grand Forks in November than I thought!!

NDSUs first home playoff game in over 20 years had terrible attendance. It's not an indication of support. It's just a tough weekend.

• Upvote 1

You obviously don't have kids. The students are just as vulgar as they ever were. Just maybe don't do as much chanting. And certainly don't pay attention to the actual game as much as students used to.

By the way, these "toddlers" you see will some day be students, and some day be season ticket holders. It's never too early to create die-hard UND (SIOUX) fans.

My point was that the "Who's he, he sucks _____" has been going on for years. Someone else implied that it just started recently, which is not the case. And I went to games in the Old REA in the 1980's when I was in grade school and the "vulgar" cheers never corrupted me or changed my behavior. So please spare me the "family values" stuff; I am not buying it.

• Upvote 2

I guess I wouldn't worry too much about the students being gone - it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference.  there also is the possibility that people who ordinarily wouldn't go to the game might decide to go.  Say you're visiting Grand Forks for Thanksgiving, or just use the long weekend as excuse to come to GF after your holiday celebration is over.  If we got 9,000 for a playoff game, that should definitely make for a home field advantage.

• Upvote 1

In this region, the fall is preparation of winter time. Most folks do that on Saturday (because they're working the rest of the week). A 1 pm Saturday game blows the whole Saturday. If they'd run games later in the day you could get some things done and still go to the game. 

I agree with this.  Because I actually prefer a later afternoon start.   But what I've been told when I've asked that one of the other considerations is the 1pm starts are also for Midco to be able to avoid Root Sport broadcast windows.  As I guess we can't televise the game if it's in the window?  Not sure if this is accurate or not.  But I do at least understand then...as we do need to get our games broadcast out there, for exposure.

please....6pm would be ideal...

My guess on attendance for a playoff game that day would be less than 6,000.

As far as start times, I think 4:00 pm would be perfect, as long as there isn't a hockey game.  Here is a crazy thought for double header Saturdays: a 3:30 pm hockey game and a 7:00 pm football game.

• Upvote 2

My guess on attendance for a playoff game that day would be less than 6,000.

As far as start times, I think 4:00 pm would be perfect, as long as there isn't a hockey game.  Here is a crazy thought for double header Saturdays: a 3:30 pm hockey game and a 7:00 pm football game.

I believe the hockey team is not at home on Thanksgiving weekend.

I believe we are @ Michigan St. on Friday and Sunday of that weekend.

any chances BTN picks up one or both of these games? Would be nice to have some TV options.

Edited by siouxfan512

I guess I wouldn't worry too much about the students being gone - it probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference.  there also is the possibility that people who ordinarily wouldn't go to the game might decide to go.  Say you're visiting Grand Forks for Thanksgiving, or just use the long weekend as excuse to come to GF after your holiday celebration is over.  If we got 9,000 for a playoff game, that should definitely make for a home field advantage.

Exactly. I will be in Devils Lake over Thanksgiving and if we happen to host I will be there.

Yeah I was just saying in general.  I know the hockey czars would never allow a home game to be held outside of prime-time anyways, just thinking outside the box.

I'd like 4:00 as the regular start time.  Doesn't blow the whole day.  People who travel would get there and get home in plenty of time.  Late season tailgating would be during the warmest part of the day.

I'm sure there are TV implications when setting the start times.

Yeah its tough to get people to tailgate at 8 AM for a losing team. Backing it up to 4 or even 2 I think would do wonders. ( I realize we are not a losing team this year, but it will take time for the general public to see that )

My point was that the "Who's he, he sucks _____" has been going on for years. Someone else implied that it just started recently, which is not the case. And I went to games in the Old REA in the 1980's when I was in grade school and the "vulgar" cheers never corrupted me or changed my behavior. So please spare me the "family values" stuff; I am not buying it.

There was nothing in my post about when this started.  The fact that we have fans acting like morons for that long doesn't make it correct.  I don't bring my kids to games, but being that this is a college event, is it asking to much to expect that we show common courtesy to those who may bring their kids to games or to those who don't wish to hear crude language screamed by UND fans?   If you are screaming F-bombs sitting next to me, you won't remain at the game whether there are kids there or not.  Has nothing to do with family values, it has to do with common courtesy and have been raised by people who taught us how to act in public.  The fact that vulgar cheers didn't corrupt you, has nothing to do with it.  I wouldn't  expect foul language to "corrupt" anyone.  Most people find it offensive.  I can act like a moron too, but I try and make sure it doesn't infringe on the rights of those around me to expect me to know how to act in public.  I have been a student and around college students who were much better at harrassing opposing teams and officials without being crude.  You happen to disagree and I guess if that is what the majority of people in society today are comfortable with, then I'm in the minority. As far as the patty cake comment, on this blog then I also guess I'm not as tough as some of you guys. I don't happen to like the "who's he chant" but I think the f-bombs cross the line. The "who's he" chant is there cuz we aren't smart enough to come up with anything clever. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There was nothing in my post about when this started.  The fact that we have fans acting like morons for that long doesn't make it correct.  I don't bring my kids to games, but being that this is a college event, is it asking to much to expect that we show common courtesy to those who may bring their kids to games or to those who don't wish to hear crude language screamed by UND fans?   If you are screaming F-bombs sitting next to me, you won't remain at the game whether there are kids there or not.  Has nothing to do with family values, it has to do with common courtesy and have been raised by people who taught us how to act in public.  The fact that vulgar cheers didn't corrupt you, has nothing to do with it.  I wouldn't  expect foul language to "corrupt" anyone.  Most people find it offensive.  I can act like a moron too, but I try and make sure it doesn't infringe on the rights of those around me to expect me to know how to act in public.  I have been a student and around college students who were much better at harrassing opposing teams and officials without being crude.  You happen to disagree and I guess if that is what the majority of people in society today are comfortable with, then I'm in the minority. As far as the patty cake comment, on this blog then I also guess I'm not as tough as some of you guys. I don't happen to like the "who's he chant" but I think the f-bombs cross the line. The "who's he" chant is there cuz we aren't smart enough to come up with anything clever. 

This ^^^^.

That chant is 80's type of crap.  Nobody does that anymore, or at least any places I have been.  

Your last sentence is the truth, all the students got is that stupid "Sioux yah yah" thing.  Make up something, anything.  Copy some other school if you have to.  

• Upvote 1

THIS is what caught my attention:

UND students were weak this year at FB games and they were pathetic last night at the hockey game.  The students who came to FB were loud but there weren't enough of them. Students at hockey were there in numbers, but nothing creative nor original come has out of these students in quite some time.  The students used to be able to fire up the athletic teams.  Now it takes the team to fire up the crowd.   How did we "dumb down" our student fans? They show such a lack of class with the "who's he, he sucks sh#*" at the beginning.  Have students become so shallow that they can't do better?   I doubt they are studying rather than going to campus activities. Other than drinking what are they doing?  Do the students participate in any campus activities other  than hockey anymore?

The implication here is that the students have "become so shallow", thus implying that it never used to be that way, which is not true. And I am not condoning or encouraging profanity at all; I don't use it myself. But it is a fact that REA Management wants a nice, quiet student section so their corporate clients can feel "comfortable" in the suite level. That has been commented on by others on this forum, I am simply repeating it here.

This ^^^^.

That chant is 80's type of crap.  Nobody does that anymore, or at least any places I have been.  

Your last sentence is the truth, all the students HAD is that stupid "Sioux yah yah" thing.  Make up something, anything.  Copy some other school if you have to.  

"Our Hawk is better than your hawk" :)

This ^^^^.

Your last sentence is the truth, all the students got is that stupid "Sioux yah yah" thing.  Make up something, anything.  Copy some other school if you have to.  

Its like F%&$ the Gophers. No imagination whatsoever. I yelled it when I was a student, and now realize just how embarrassing it is that you can actually hear it on TV. Pretty classless. I'm not saying student and chants needs to be saintly, a little crude humor is fine, but could we please get a little more creative. Isn't that was Sioux Crew/Nodak Nation is supposed to be doing. Come up with something new, and get the student section to follow.

• Upvote 1