SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Attendance

darell1976

Per capita, there are just a lot of jerks out there!  Add in alcohol, youth, success in sports, and the per capita jerk ratio goes up slightly I would say among college athletes that you might encounter at the bar or at a party.  I always say, if you don't like the individuals, come cheer for the school!   GO UND!

• Upvote 1

The players I think that students seem to have a problem with are the Freshman. I don't have a problem with any players and they are typically pretty nice to me, yet I don't live in the dorms or eat at dining centers. Some social media (YikYak) consistently have people complaining about football players and I'm not sure if its all truthful or just someone easy to blame stuff on so they do it. There is typically pictures of dishes left on tables, and even under tables. They said at beginning of semester that the a few players broke a window or put a hole in the wall can't remember which, but no one stepped up to claim it so the whole dorm had to pay for it.

Some of the football players tend to get into groups and can get a little loud and roudy, but nothing I noticed too bad; but if you are loud and making a semi-scene in the dining center while wearing your football apparel than you will get noticed. 

I don't know if that is why people don't come to games, I assume there are some that come and sit in non-student section areas to be able to drink, some are still asleep and hungover, or they don't want to be caught for drinking so they don't get on the shuttle that I have never seen a schedule for to be able to get to the game. I would say that is a biggie, no one really knows when the shuttle to the Alerus shows up. 

The whole visitor sidelines stands are pretty bare, even non-student section over there are not full, I took a look at both sides from a end on saturday and it was quite astonishing section for section where most go. I did notice that in the 4th quarter not even halfway through it that the section above the 50yd line on the home side was thining quite a bit. Not sure what happened there.

Minn Sioux said at the end...he/she and their immediate circle of friends don't like football and don't care to spend 5 hours of their time attending games to support the team. That's sounds pretty straightforward, honest and fair, I might add.  I love football. Always have and always will, so I can't understand how a person is on the comment board that doesn't like or support football. Why even be on here commenting or reading?  There are many activities that I have no interest in....thus I don't read about it or comment on it.  However, I say go to the game, and have fun with your friends anyway. Last I heard, admission is free for students. I don't like baseball but I go to one game a year just to have a hotdog and beer with my friends. Heck, we don't even know who the visiting team is half the time nor do we care. To use the excuse of not going to games because of the Freshmen seems a bit of hyperbole. If the Freshmen are being rude or crude in the dinning facility...ask them to stop. Its that simple.

• Upvote 4

I will say this though, a student athlete should hold him or herself to a higher standard and act accordingly on and off campus. Especially, football players who are fighting for relevancy and respect in the Big Sky and on campus. They shouldn't need to be told by by other students to do the right thing. If the accusations are remotely true, C'mon guys do better and be good citizens in the UND community.

• Upvote 3

If this is true, a single email to coach Schweigert about these behaviors would probably put a stop to them real quick. It wouldn't take you any longer to shoot him a message than it would to sign up and post here for the very first time. 

It would be disappointing if team members were acting like this in the lunch hall. It would be disappointing if ANY students were trashing any of the dining centers. I was a member of a fraternity and many other student organizations. I met up with numerous groups of friends in the dining halls over my years. There was always that one person who acted like it was a restaurant and left their mess on the table. But typically someone would say something or the rest of us would just pick up their plates. 

But honestly, if students have issues with football team members like you say, I'm sure all it would take is a short message to one of the coaches and it would probably be instantly addressed. 

My only question is why are you following athletes on social media if you don't like what they are posting? Couldn't you block or defriend them? 

• Upvote 1