SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Attendance

darell1976

The implication here is that the students have "become so shallow", thus implying that it never used to be that way, which is not true. And I am not condoning or encouraging profanity at all; I don't use it myself. But it is a fact that REA Management wants a nice, quiet student section so their corporate clients can feel "comfortable" in the suite level. That has been commented on by others on this forum, I am simply repeating it here.

The students would probably get a little more freedom if they had something that wasn't vulgar/inappropriate and actually used a little creativity. I, along with many others, aren't going to claim innocence from participating when I was a student but it seems that the only ones that have survived are the worst of the group.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The students would probably get a little more freedom if they had something that wasn't vulgar/inappropriate and actually used a little creativity. I, along with many others, aren't going to claim innocence from participating when I was a student but it seems that the only ones that have survived are the worst of the group.

I highly doubt this. I don't know what the suits would consider "appropriate" and "creative" at the same time; I say little or nothing. That announcement they make at the beginning of the game about not "harassing" opponents is pretty comprehensive. So is that whole directive to "Cheer for UND" and not "against our opponent". What is the end game, politely clapping for both teams? ???:silly:

It gets very quiet at some points during the games. Wouldn't it be a fun atmosphere to have a raucous student section for 60 minutes? Or maybe a raucous Ralph as a whole.  
I kind of get, but at the same time don't get, the whole make the students in the lower bowl sit down thing....."what's with these students not getting into it?!" Uhhh maybe because they're sitting down.  "But they're blocking my view!" You're not watching a movie...you're at a hockey game, now stand up and cheer (Get it? :lol:).   
We students have to do our part too.  The student section is the energy hot spot (or not so much in this case).  I am so absolutely positively sick and tired of these half-a$$ed "sioux yea yea" "Yea sioux..whatever....I've gotta look at my texts" It honestly sounds like we're falling asleep.  I really think Nodak Nation needs to be the ones to step up and turn the student section into a zoo (A good zoo, a loud zoo, not a vulgar/mean spirited/awful zoo). I remember going to Syracuse, or Uconn (Or the best kind: Syracuse vs Uconn) basketball games and the students would be going absolutely nuts, which translated to the rest of the crowd feeling the energy which translated to the players playing with increased intensity and passion which translated to a better on court product. I mean just look at the Cameron Crazies, they have figured it out. Now, I hate Duke with a passion but I've gotta hand it to their student section. I envy that electricity.

Politely I could make a case to move this to the hockey forum. I agree that you can't tell the students to sit down while complaining hat they don't do enough. And we can either have a hell raising crowd or we can have a family friendly daycare atmosphere.

• Upvote 2

Its like F%&$ the Gophers. No imagination whatsoever. I yelled it when I was a student, and now realize just how embarrassing it is that you can actually hear it on TV. Pretty classless. I'm not saying student and chants needs to be saintly, a little crude humor is fine, but could we please get a little more creative. Isn't that was Sioux Crew/Nodak Nation is supposed to be doing. Come up with something new, and get the student section to follow.

they did add the nodak flag...

i can go on a long rant about the students section here..... particularly on how nodak nation is run.

Edited by SWSiouxMN

i know that some of the people that travel to the games appreciate having the 1 pm start. They have plenty of time to get to the game in the morning, and don't spend the entire evening driving home or have to spend the night. I think the coaches appreciate having the same schedule for each home game, so they wouldn't like having different times for hockey weekend versus non-hockey weekends.

You're probably right about the coaches liking consistent routines. I for one would really go for a later start time, though. Leaving at 6 AM from the Twin Cities with little margin for error to get to GF by game time - not my favorite. We stay in GF on Saturday night anyway, so a 3:00 or 4:00 start would be awesome. 

Also - wouldn't it be better for student attendance if it was later? Some are just thinking about breakfast at 1:00 PM on a Saturday!

• Upvote 3

THIS is what caught my attention:

The implication here is that the students have "become so shallow", thus implying that it never used to be that way, which is not true. And I am not condoning or encouraging profanity at all; I don't use it myself. But it is a fact that REA Management wants a nice, quiet student section so their corporate clients can feel "comfortable" in the suite level. That has been commented on by others on this forum, I am simply repeating it here.

I don't sit in the suites and  I don't believe most of those who do care what the students do as long as they don't impede their ability to see the game. For that much money you should be able to feel comfortable. 

There was a time when at MBB there was a "Snake Pit" behind the visitors bench that caught the attention of the visiting players and coaches.  No  F-bombs or racial slurs.  The people there could usually get the bench players laughing or pissed off or both.  Most coaches would talk to the fans before the game, the refs knew those fans. It was pretty funny and the oposition didn't like playing at UND.  It could be ruthless for the oppostition but didn't have to be crude.  Eventually the NCC officials enacted a rule that the first couple of rows behind the visitors bench had to be given to the visitors fans.  Dumb rule but there was a time when most fans were simply UND fans who attended MBB then went to the hockey games and it wasn't common practice to use that langauge.  FB fans especially, the WBB players used to be directly behind the visitors bench and the student fans were loud enough to be noticed.  They pissed off the visitors and they made enough noise to disrupt the opposition play calling.  After the MBB the same fans would head over to the hockey game and harass the refs and opposition there. That is the reason I guess I care if students go.  Up to them, but they can be part of the success of our programs just like they have been in the past for all of our sports.  I think FB attendence will improve when fans again become part of the game experience.  The players notice and appreciate it in all sports.  It also makes  a difference in the game atmosphere for all sports.  Intercollegiate athletics can make the college experience a lot more fun for most students but they need to get involved.  The solution will come from students who want things to get better and an administration that realizes how important intercollegiate sports can be to the University with regards to recruiting of non-athletic students and donations from area businesses and alumni. Administration also needs to recognize the importance of student support and listen to the ideas and suggestions from students to help create an improved game atmosphere.  We need more butts in the seats at MBB, WBB, VB and FB. We also need to avoid becoming complacent in hockey cuz we can lose our edge there very quickly and it can be very difficult to get it back. We can't demand students show up, we have to sell them on the idea that this can be a great time.

I didn't mean to offend you but I do think the crude cheers show a lack of intelligence and thought. Anyone can come up with that crap after a few too many beers.  It doesn't take much more energy to be clever and entertaining.  We may disagree, I just think we can do better.

• Upvote 3

I didn't mean to offend you but I do think the crude cheers show a lack of intelligence and thought. Anyone can come up with that crap after a few too many beers.  It doesn't take much more energy to be clever and entertaining.  We may disagree, I just think we can do better.

Offend me? No, not even close. The only people that offend me are those that question my loyalty to this school and the Gopher/Bison trolls that come here just to stir up trouble.

they did add the nodak flag...

i can go on a long rant about the students section here..... particularly on how nodak nation is run.

I can't say I know enough about Nodak Nation or how it is run. I do like the Big Flag. I think that is pretty cool. Is that done at other events, or just hockey? If just hockey, it should be expanded. Again, I think this is the group that should work to develop more creative cheers. Doesn't have to all be super-clean, I think there is room for a little by of wiggle room for crude humor, as long as they know where the line is. But anything is better that most of the the cheers we have heard over the past 10+ years.

I can't say I know enough about Nodak Nation or how it is run. I do like the Big Flag. I think that is pretty cool. Is that done at other events, or just hockey? If just hockey, it should be expanded. Again, I think this is the group that should work to develop more creative cheers. Doesn't have to all be super-clean, I think there is room for a little by of wiggle room for crude humor, as long as they know where the line is. But anything is better that most of the the cheers we have heard over the past 10+ years.

lets say its an underachieving organization with eggs in one basket syndrome

I was a consistent member of the snake pit back in Hyslop and we prided ourselves on getting on the visitors - the best part was when coaches moved the chairs out onto the playing floor to get away from our cheering - it was never swearing or inappropriate. It was much more than banging hands on the back of a chair and responding to Sioux Yah Yah. 

Edited by CMSioux

Well for starters, this weekend the students (the big guy) at the football game were doing a "Knipp!" "Nope!" Chant that I think could be used for northern Colorado in the future--as Knipp is a redshirt freshman so we should get him at home at least one more time.

Well for starters, this weekend the students (the big guy) at the football game were doing a "Knipp!" "Nope!" Chant that I think could be used for northern Colorado in the future--as Knipp is a redshirt freshman so we should get him at home at least one more time.

i totally enjoyed that. LOL. the guys i was sitting next to gave #39 crap.

• Upvote 1

i totally enjoyed that. LOL. the guys i was sitting next to gave #39 crap.

if I remember right his name was kiefer. also telling newsom that he was twice the player and twice the number of Knipp, making him laugh. Was a hell of a time. 75 got the worst though.

if I remember right his name was kiefer. also telling newsom that he was twice the player and twice the number of Knipp, making him laugh. Was a hell of a time. 75 got the worst though.

92 and 90 got pissed! the coach had to calm them.

i did most of my chirping against MSU and towards Prukop.  

We few have been trying. I don't think it helps putting 'hockey only' students in the seats. However, the atmosphere was okay until we dropped to isu and weber. Which by the way, we need to start beating them year in and year out. 2 years in a row to a program like that isn't impressive.

• Upvote 4

We few have been trying. I don't think it helps putting 'hockey only' students in the seats. However, the atmosphere was okay until we dropped to isu and weber. Which by the way, we need to start beating them year in and year out. 2 years in a row to a program like that isn't impressive.

The Drake game didn't help either. There was a great student section for that game and the second half left a lot to be desired. Next season I anticipate a much stronger and more durable student section.

That's my complaint.  Und can literally have one bad game and students abandon them!????  Really? They became so disinterested that they'll wait for some wins and then return?  The team needs the students!  

After reading some of the comments about the big guy razzing  unc , I watched the game again and kudos to the front row students that were there!  Not many of them but they were fantastic and were there until he end.  Wish they could recruit or clone about another 4000 of them!!  

• Upvote 2

Student here:

This may sound dumb to you fellas but one reason there is a lack of support for the UND Football team is because many students do not like the players. They walk around campus as if they're better than everyone else. At the dining centers, they don't clean up after themselves. Is it that hard to go put your plate away? They're all over social media posting pictures of themselves shirtless and flexing. Many of us don't want to support people like that. Have you guys ever stopped to think that many UND students don't even really like football? Neither myself or my friends are football fans. Why spend 5 hours out of our day to attend an event we don't even care about?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

Student here:

This may sound dumb to you fellas but one reason there is a lack of support for the UND Football team is because many students do not like the players. They walk around campus as if they're better than everyone else. At the dining centers, they don't clean up after themselves. Is it that hard to go put your plate away? They're all over social media posting pictures of themselves shirtless and flexing. Many of us don't want to support people like that. Have you guys ever stopped to think that many UND students don't even really like football? Neither myself or my friends are football fans. Why spend 5 hours out of our day to attend an event we don't even care about?

I never saw any of this when I was a student. This sounds like a bunch of high school-level gossip.

Student here:

I doubt it - Each coach is assigned to monitor their players so dumb stuff isn't posted on social media.  The players I know are some of the nicest folks you'll meet.  I just took my photo along with my daughter with Will Ratelle after the game, extremely nice and welcoming.  You obviously have a beef, but little credibility. 

Student here:

Sounds like someone is jealous of their gains. 

I never saw any of this when I was a student. This sounds like a bunch of high school-level gossip.

That's how it was in Fargo, can't imagine it is all tthat different here. Not sure on the shirtless pics... But the attitude and such, sounds spot on.

DDisclaimer: some of that is merely perception. Plenty of good ones too from my experiences. 

Edited by JohnboyND7
  • Upvote 2