SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Attendance

darell1976

I think more night games (except when the hockey team is town) would be helpful.  It might not help with the students, who may not want to "waste" a Saturday night on a football game, but it would certainly help with adults.  Lots of adults have kid activities, and other responsibilities, on Saturdays. It may not always be practical to start tailgating at 10:00 a.m. and not get home until 5:00.   I could not get away with that 5 or 6 times a fall.

But it appears UND likes the 1:00 start.  Maybe UND perceives it as an advantage in the Big Sky where opponents are in the mountain and pacific time zones.  

A lot of it has to do with ROOT Sports and the rights they have to broadcast games.  It's not always up to UND to decide the gametimes, although they have a say in it. 

A lot of it has to do with ROOT Sports and the rights they have to broadcast games.  It's not always up to UND to decide the gametimes, although they have a say in it. 

Does ROOT have any say in game times that they are not broadcasting?  I would find that odd if they do.  

And I believe ROOT has televised only one UND home game since UND joined the Big Sky, so that's not a common occurrence.  

I think this whole obsession with 1pm games started with Dale Lennon. I heard him say he doesn't like night games, so that is probably why they stopped doing them. The first year in the Alerus Center (2001), we had night games until hockey started and they were very well attended. I think we should definitely go back to that.

PS: At least we don't have those infernal 11:00am kickoffs they have at Minnesota. I honestly don't understand what television has to do with that. A lot of programs don't do that.

I actually do like the 1:00 games. As much as I love football, hockey is my number one. So I don't have to try to manage UND football around UND hockey or Wild games. Plus 1:00 is when I put kids down to nap; perfect football watching time for me.

The only downside is it does chew up afternoon where I would prefer to be outside in the fall. Especially with a lot of yard and housework to do.

Even going back to my college day. Party till 3 or 4am, get up saturday morning and get to the Alerus (I was there early to play in the band). Head back home to catch a quick nap, then start drinking and head to the hockey game before another night of partying. Good lord, how did I make it through school alive and graduate....

Edited by siouxfan512
  • Upvote 2

I actually do like the 1:00 games. As much as I love football, hockey is my number one. So I don't have to try to manage UND football around UND hockey or Wild games.

I don't think you understand, I think we should have evening football games before hockey starts. Football starts in late August or early September. Hockey doesn't start until October. Once hockey starts, then go back to 1:00pm games.

Even going back to my college day. Party till 3 or 4am, get up saturday morning and get to the Alerus (I was there early to play in the band). Head back home to catch a quick nap, then start drinking and head to the hockey game before another night of partying. Good lord, how did I make it through school alive and graduate....

ROFL, I say the same thing about some work weeks! :wink:

• Upvote 1

I don't think you understand, I think we should have evening football games before hockey starts. Football starts in late August or early September. Hockey doesn't start until October. Once hockey starts, then go back to 1:00pm games.

No I caught it, I was just emphasizing the point. I'm sure I wouldn't mind some evening games, I'm just a creature of habit, and have gotten very used to the 1pm games. Even watching the Vikes, I always like the noon games the best.

• Upvote 1

What was the attendance Saturday?

I agree night games would be great until October isn't the season usually over by then. Should be if ISU puts up that many passing yards what will MSU do. Good luck. 

Wonder what meaningful games in November are like?  Guess we will never know

• Downvote 2

I agree night games would be great until October isn't the season usually over by then. Should be if ISU puts up that many passing yards what will MSU do. Good luck. 

Now, let's not jump to conclusions. We'll get there, it just will take time.

So where is the optimism coming from?  First top 25 ranking, lay an egg. Can stop the run but average qbs can throw for 400 yards. What competing team has a worse home field?  This program is so far behind its not even funny. They are showing improvement over what?  They had a chance to really make a stride when Lennon left blew it so they go back to the well. How is southern Illinois doing?  That's where the bar is set

I still believe Portland state was a mirage and ISU is the trend

• Downvote 13

So where is the optimism coming from?  First top 25 ranking, lay an egg. Can stop the run but average qbs can throw for 400 yards. What competing team has a worse home field?  This program is so far behind its not even funny. They are showing improvement over what?  They had a chance to really make a stride when Lennon left blew it so they go back to the well. How is southern Illinois doing?  That's where the bar is set

Mods? Our monthly idiot from BV has arrived again.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with Jakeh41 - let me see some MORE - Wyoming is terrible - FBS or NOT? - Coudn't finish in top 3 of Big Sky and certainly wouldn't win more than 1 or 2 games in Missouri Valley - that's for sure.  Portland St. was a very nice WIN - but then what? - Injuries do matter but we'll see down the stretch - need to see MORE for Me? - Voicing an opinion doesn't make ya a HATER- lighten up Francis!! As for the Southern Illinois thing? - What have they done? - Decent FB team but certainly NOT somebody that NDSU, Youngstown St., SD State, or Northern Iowa have been afraid to play for the last 7-8 years!!

• Downvote 8

Southern was mentioned to bring up the point did they get the correct guy. Why go for a coach from a mediocre program that has yet to make the playoffs. Bubba seems like a nice guy but if he didn't have a UND connection is he even on the radar?  Being from ND works at mary and minot but not in the D1 era. 

• Downvote 3

Southern was mentioned to bring up the point did they get the correct guy. Why go for a coach from a mediocre program that has yet to make the playoffs. Bubba seems like a nice guy but if he didn't have a UND connection is he even on the radar?  Being from ND works at mary and minot but not in the D1 era. 

why are you suddenly so concerned about UND?  

Mussman? Is that you? Stop trolling the forums! jk

Optimism comes from an uptick in recruiting. Optimism comes with an FBS win (even if it is against a crap program). Optimism comes from a 4-1 start. Optimism comes from the best defensive team we have had in years. Optimism comes from the most promising run game we have had in years.

Does our team still have holes to fill and room to grow. Of course, just like most teams. Even if the optimism comes from an uptick in program interest, who cares? That is still a good thing. Where does all the negativity come from? If you don't like UND football, then go away? If you don't like UND, then go away?

Are you the kind of fan who can only cheer for a program when they are at the top? All programs have ups and downs, this has been a long down. New coach, new recruiting, new mentality. Its only the second year of this regime and we have seen more than we ever saw from Muss. Lets give the coach his due time before being overly critical.

If you want to critique, that is one thing ... senseless bashing is another.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they liked what he had to say about what he would do as a head coach.

Improved recruiting from a guy who knows the area.

What did the candidate pool look like? Can't hire an amazing coach, with nothing but previous success, if he hasn't applied. I know many people like GF, but lets face it, its not like luring a guy to an beautiful, warm, coastal city either.

Bottom line, there are many reason that UND may have moved the way that they did. If you want to criticize the hire, maybe you should wait to see what the guy has to offer in the next 2-3 years.

I suppose I better stop asking questions since it upsets the "true fans".  Enjoy your 3/4 full alerus if you keep accepting average that's the best it will be. 

Its not what your asking, its the arrogant way you are asking. Are the questions about Bubba? of course, but he deserves time to prove himself. I'm not sold on the offense... YET. Lets see if Studrud improves in the next year with his passing, lets see how some of our freshman receivers grow. Our RB core is young but shows a lot of promise. Lets see how Heidelbaugh looks at QB in a year or two. Programs don't completely turn around in 1-2 years. New coaches, new schemes, new recruiting.

I suppose I better stop asking questions since it upsets the "true fans".  Enjoy your 3/4 full alerus if you keep accepting average that's the best it will be. 

well it was only 1/4 full last season so I suppose that is why you are spending time posting here.