SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2015

geaux_sioux

I was at practice this morning. They didn't do much with K/P returning that I saw. In fact, I didn't see any of the kickers kick. They were mainly doing different types of drills, including hand-eye coordination.

As far as the not-dressed crew goes, it included Mollberg, Meindel, Arrington, Oliveira (boot), Ruhe (crutches), Iwarri Smith, Fiedler, Bennett (boot), Vashon Tucker, Reed, Tucker Norby, and Coyne (crutches). Bridges limped off the field on his own power but I'm not sure if he returned or not  

Mollberg did do some throwing, but had his left ankle/calf taped. 

Hartness twins were absent today. 

Gordon looked good at RB. Found some nice holes and got through them quick. They also lined him up at FB, so that might be something to look for as well.

There were a couple nice catches by WRs in one-on-one drills. Both catches caused a good roar from the rest of the players. Good catches by Stanley and Cerriteno. 

Certainly the biggest play of the day came on the final one as Cole Reyes hauled in an INT he had to really go up and get. 

All in all I think it was a good practice. Good intensity, good tempo, good effort. 

• Upvote 1

I was at practice this morning. They didn't do much with K/P returning that I saw. In fact, I didn't see any of the kickers kick. They were mainly doing different types of drills, including hand-eye coordination.

As far as the not-dressed crew goes, it included Mollberg, Meindel, Arrington, Oliveira (boot), Ruhe (crutches), Iwarri Smith, Fiedler, Bennett (boot), Vashon Tucker, Reed, Tucker Norby, and Coyne (crutches). Bridges limped off the field on his own power but I'm not sure if he returned or not  

Mollberg did do some throwing, but had his left ankle/calf taped. 

Hartness twins were absent today. 

Gordon looked good at RB. Found some nice holes and got through them quick. They also lined him up at FB, so that might be something to look for as well.

There were a couple nice catches by WRs in one-on-one drills. Both catches caused a good roar from the rest of the players. Good catches by Stanley and Cerriteno. 

Certainly the biggest play of the day came on the final one as Cole Reyes hauled in an INT he had to really go up and get. 

All in all I think it was a good practice. Good intensity, good tempo, good effort. 

Uncanny that we have so many players, and many of them key players, on the DL this early.  Fortunately, it sounds like most of them will be fairly short-term.  Thanks for taking the time to give us a report, MadScout.  Would like to see the SID staff be consistent in putting out daily reports.

How about Vashon Tucker.  Do you think he will have his shirt pulled.  Probably hard to tell since he came late to camp.

I am really unsure about Tucker.... not because of ability but because he is so far behind the learning curve at this point on learning the defense. And I think ability only does so much in absence of experience and mental preparation.  I am thinking the red shirt stays on.

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 1

How has Bennett looked prior to injury? I thought coming in he had a real solid shot at getting his shirt pulled but I see he has a boot on so may be out for a while. 

Bennett came into camp as one of the best conditioned athletes thanks to off season work in Canada. That helped him persevere early on in camp until a freak injury got him late in Saturday's scrimmage. His early "toughness" allowed him to get lots of reps and he learned from it. He started out slow as to be expected but really started coming on in the days leading up to the Scrimmage. He is quick with good feet, and a bit undersized as far as a traditional DE. But he has the perfect build for what Schmidt and Gigli are are trying to build at the Defensive Line spot ala guys like Dranka and Greely.

Edited by Teeder11

No concern - just tweeting for diamonds in the rough and looking for depth - you never know what's out there. Best wishes to the Hartness boys but the reality is they were walk-ons - nothing wrong with that but it's not like we had two scholarship athletes quit. 

No concern - just tweeting for diamonds in the rough and looking for depth - you never know what's out there. Best wishes to the Hartness boys but the reality is they were walk-ons - nothing wrong with that but it's not like we had two scholarship athletes quit. 

I think some young kids that come in just don't understand how much time it takes to play college football. Between practice, traveling, games, and the gym,  it really has to be your life. Best of luck to the young men.

How are the special teams positions shaping out? (KR, PR, P) I'm interested how Meindel will preform coming off a year in which he didn't play. He could be a big weapon.

Special teams returners should be faster than we've become accustomed to (Georges, Reed, Irvin-Smith, Santiago, etc.).  I'm more interested in the return blocking on special teams and getting that system down.   As for Meindel, I just can't figure him out. Loads of talent but needs to focus on being the No1 punter and honing that skill. He has been out most of camp, at least the parts that I've seen. I am hoping that they are just resting him up for the season but he is missing out on reps that will help the whole team stay in sync on special teams. The new punter, the new #86, Riley Thompson, is very inconsistent ... mostly straight up and not a whole lot of distance, That's ok if you get stalled at midfield and your trying to pin them back behind the 10  yard line, but not all the time.  Taubenheim has actually been the better more consistent punter that has actually punted the ball this camp.   

Someone in Fargo, this person has a lot to do with FM baseball, told me this would happen as it has been their history growing up.  His exact words were they are quitters.  I stood up for the kids making the case based on their passion for football and they are now young men, more mature..........please pass the crow.

Edited by gundy1124

Someone in Fargo, this person has a lot to do with FM baseball, told me this would happen as it has been their history growing up.  His exact words were they are quitters.  I stood up for the kids making the case based on their passion for football and they are now young men, more mature..........please pass the crow.

This is kind of the impression I got of them, based on different stories from people on the message boards who knew them. Sounds like they were good high school athletes but never the most committed. Probably want more to enjoy college and friends and good times than to play football. Understandable, but too bad. I know they were not scholarship athletes, but it sounded like they could have been pretty good if they had put the work in.

This is kind of the impression I got of them, based on different stories from people on the message boards who knew them. Sounds like they were good high school athletes but never the most committed. Probably want more to enjoy college and friends and good times than to play football. Understandable, but too bad. I know they were not scholarship athletes, but it sounded like they could have been pretty good if they had put the work in.

Based on their twitter accounts, sounds like they wanted to enjoy high school again (facepalm).  

Anybody who has gone to college would tell you that high school is a small memory after being on campus for 4-5 years.  No comparison.

• Upvote 2

its a shame they quit but lets remember it could be that they didn't have the commitment but also they might not have been jelling with coaches/teammates or may have just wished to take their lives elsewhere. I would shy away from calling out immaturity or anything on their part, probably not super necessary on this forum.

its a shame they quit but lets remember it could be that they didn't have the commitment but also they might not have been jelling with coaches/teammates or may have just wished to take their lives elsewhere. I would shy away from calling out immaturity or anything on their part, probably not super necessary on this forum.

Pure speculation based on what has been said about these guys. And immaturity in this sense isn't necessarily a bad thing against them. I though about going to Moorhead St to wrestle in college. Decided I had enough of that part of my life, and wanted a different college experience. No shame is deciding that college sports isn't a route they wanted to take. 

So I believe we are about half way through fall camp now correct? 

Am I off base to expect that a starting QB should be named real quick here, so that whoever it is gets the bulk of the reps with 1's?

IMO, it isn't really a great sign that one of the 3 guys apparently hasn't separated themselves from the pack yet.

• Upvote 1

So I believe we are about half way through fall camp now correct? 

Am I off base to expect that a starting QB should be named real quick here, so that whoever it is gets the bulk of the reps with 1's?

IMO, it isn't really a great sign that one of the 3 guys apparently hasn't separated themselves from the pack yet.

My reading of the tea leaves is that it will be Studsrud.  I think Mollberg continues to push him significantly, especially considering coming off an injury, but he's not quite there yet.