SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2015

geaux_sioux

I waited until both sessions of today's two-a-day were complete before I posted.  Sorry for the wait.

UND has its own recap of today's action if you want to check that out. I will try to keep my info different than what they have provided so as not to double up. 

Here goes:

It was hot out there today-- "Africa hot" in the words of Robin Williams' Adrian Cronauer in "Good Morning, Vietnam!"The troops handled the weather nicely, and coaches and trainers managed the rest and hydration appropriately. There were no heat injuries to speak of after the first two a day. 

That said the typical bumps and bruises are starting to mount -- some worse than others -- as the stationary bike brigade was going strong on the sidelines..

WR Ramon Bridges did return to action today. 

Here's the latest bodycount as far as players who did not practice fully for one reason or another:

Arrington (now wearing a boot on his left leg)

Meindel

Ruhe

WR Hartness

Nordby

Merz

Poole practiced but was icing his ankle immediately after the afternoon session. 

Woodsmall did not participate fully in afternoon drills but it could be because he is on a "pitch count" so to speak, to keep his rehab going unabated.

A lot of you have been asking about the offensive line. It's my weak point as far as knowledge, but to quench the thirst  for info that is out there I cobbled together som early observations. 

1st team looks to be:

RT Meehan

RG Cox

C Boas

LG Anderson

LT Stockwell

2nd team:

RT Stiner

RG Taylor

C Cox slides from Guard to center

LG Bell

LT Camy

3rd team:

RT Stiner stays at tackle

RG Grady

C Rooney

LG Bell stays at Guard

LT Blair

Obviously,  this is all subject to change. 

Other notes:

Brandon Walker is really coming on at receiver to augment the this rebuilding nucleus of Seibel, Cerrentino and newcomers  Alex Reed, Clive Georges and Luke Stanley. 

Punt return duties have mainly been handled by Irvin-Sills, Reed, Reyes, Georges and Santiago. 

If I was a betting man, and I am not, the return game is where Santiago will have his biggest impact initially WHEN he gets his shirt pulled. 

That's it it for today! Hope it was worth it. 

what about Miller on the OL?

The walking wounded is growing, and running back depth is even more of a challenge.

Oliviera appears to have suffered the same type of injury to the ankle as Arrington. He left on crutches earlier in practice after turning on it wrong during special teams drills.  That leaves Norberg, I. Smith and Austin Gordon as the only RBs practicing right now. 

Also DL Steve Greer was hurt during the first round of 11 on 11 drills. Looks to be a lower leg thing. 

On a positive note, CB Harris returned to full action today and looked 100 percent. 

A small scuffle broke out today between a DB and a WR during one-on-one drills. It was quickly extinguished by coaches and other players. I couldn't tell who the combatants were so I can't give you the Tale of the Tape. It was nice to see that kind of fire out there on the practice field as it shows heart with position battles still up in the air. I don't want to make too much out of this; SiouxFootballInsider put it best: #everyyear

Cerrentino had by far the best catch of the day as he snatched a 50 yarder in stride with three DBs draped all over him. 

The hit of the day goes to walk-on fullback Josh Leonhard on Labat. Leonhard absolutely brought the boom down on one of UND's stud linebackers. 

The defense dominated red zone skelly exercises today with four INTs ( W. James x 2, Flowers and Arnell), and a batted-away pass by Dylan Bakker.  No one QB was the primary victim.  They all rotated through and all were challenged by the stout D. 

SEE YOU TOMORROW!

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 2

The walking wounded is growing, and running back depth is even more of a challenge.

Oliviera appears to have suffered the same type of injury to the ankle as Arrington. He left on crutches earlier in practice after turning on it wrong during special teams drills.  That leaves Norberg, I. Smith and Austin Gordon as the only RBs practicing right now. 

Also DL Steve Greer was hurt during the first round of 11 on 11 drills. Looks to be a lower leg thing. 

On a positive note, CB Harris returned to full action today and looked 100 percent. 

A small scuffle broke out today between a DB and a WR during one-on-one drills. It was quickly extinguished by coaches and other players. I couldn't tell who the combatants were so I can't give you the Tale of the Tape. It was nice to see that kind of fire out there on the practice field as it shows heart with position battles still up in the air. I don't want to make too much out of this; SiouxFootballInsider put it best: #everyyear

Cerrentino had by far the best catch of the day as he snatched a 50 yarder in stride with three DBs draped all over him. 

The hit of the day goes to walk-on fullback Josh Leonhard on Labat. Leonhard absolutely brought the boom down on one of UND's stud linebackers. 

The defense dominated red zone skelly exercises today with four INTs ( W. James x 2, Flowers and Arnell), and a batted-away pass by Dylan Bakker.  No one QB was the primary victim.  They all rotated through and all were challenged by the stout D. 

SEE YOU TOMORROW!

Thanks again, Teeder.  Did you notice who threw the 50-yarder to Cerretino?

SEE YOU TOMORROW!

thanks for the updates. Hopefully the RB injuries are not too bad, and they will hopefully be back soon. Great to hear the D is looking strong.

Lets hope these are only the nickel and dimer variety of injuries that are usually associated with camp.  It would be nice to be at full strength to start the year.

Now that the first full week of practices are coming to a close and nearing the halfway point of camp, a few questions

1) Who looks to be the most improved (individual players and positions)?

2) Who have been the surprises from the incoming freshman (people who are pushing to get their shirts pulled)?

3) Had to guess, how many true freshman play this year?

SEE YOU TOMORROW!

Did Greer walk off on his own?  We need all the D line we can get.

what about Miller on the OL?

In addition to Miller, I would have expected Jace Hellman and Grant Alpin to be fighting for 2nd string, as well as Justus Merz to be in on the third team.  Surprised to see a couple second teamers stay in the third team when those guys would/should be in there.  

Lets hope these are only the nickel and dimer variety of injuries that are usually associated with camp.  It would be nice to be at full strength to start the year.

Now that the first full week of practices are coming to a close and nearing the halfway point of camp, a few questions

1) Who looks to be the most improved (individual players and positions)?

2) Who have been the surprises from the incoming freshman (people who are pushing to get their shirts pulled)?

3) Had to guess, how many true freshman play this year?

SiouxFootballnsider has a nice first week recap with projections.  A must read!

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2015/08/14/week-1-thoughts-2/

Thanks for the daily updates Teeder11.  Really enjoy reading them and hearing about the team development.  Wish I could be there for the scrimmage tomorrow but live many states away.  Making plans to go to the UND/UW game so looking forward to seeing the team in live action then.

There was a nice showing of fans today for the first and what has been reported will be the only real scrimmage of fall camp before UND faces Wyoming. About 30 people were on hand compared to the usual handful of die hards. 

WR Alex Reed sat out the scrimmage today presumably for precautionary reasons for some unknown reason. The other usual suspects were still out with bumps bruises and ankle sprains. Oliviera joined Arrington in the wearing of boots on their left legs. 

The Iron Man Award today goes to Iwarri Smith, who is only one of three RBs (Norberg and Austin Gordon) to participate in today's scrimmage. He took a solid hit to the knee on one series. He had a noticeable limp after that but continued to return for more attempts at RB. 

Bubba and Rudolph ran a balance of running and passing plays today. 

Norberg had a nice run up the gut busting through a seam and breaking a couple of  LB tackles before being brought down.  It's the kind of run that would have been a welcome sight on first or second down last season. 

The best run of the day, though, came at the hands, or feet, if you will, of Austin Gordon, who busted through the line and scampered up the right hash for about 40 yards. It was shades of Adam Shaugabay.

WR Stanley showed off his height on a sideline route where he went up and snatched the ball at its highest point well above the reach of the secondary. 

CB Chris Carter had a violent hit and tackle on WR Dulin. Both players were ok afterward. 

Mollberg seemed to get the bulk of the plays today and did fine. He hit Dulin on a 10 yard TD pass. 

Studsrud was equally solid, nothing flashy though .... He did tend to run more when plays broke down.

Bartles was involved in a couple of nice pass/catches, including A 50 yard pass and catch from Bartles to 6-5 TE Feidler as well as a 20 yard toss to WR Carter Blackwell in the back of the end zone. 

FB Coyne had about a 20 Yard catch and run. 

On the somewhat negative side, there were too many false starts today by the OL. Got to get that cleaned up, however some of those false starts came at the hands of inexperienced personnel on the line -- still they have to learn. 

Taubenheim was solid on FGs and PATs.  The punting game has been hampered by Miendel's health and Bolducs's departure. 

Well, my vacation is over and it's back to work on Monday, so these reports will be fewer than they have been in the future.  Nonetheless, I will try to supply whatever I can on occasion. 

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 2