SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2015

geaux_sioux

Yeah, we were joking today that he looked bigger in his weight room Twitter feed pics. Smith isn't as slight as Dulin but he's got room to grow. He's very young, too. Dulin is the one that is really thin and lanky, then again so was Golloday and look what happened there!

I've heard the comparisons of Dulin to Golladay coming in.  I think as long as Dulin is willing to put in the work there's no reason for him not to be successful.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, quarterback play will make or break this season - other positions have been solidified but in order to compete with the top programs we need good to great qb play.  We have been waiting a long time for someone to step up (or, in Molberg and Bartles case just play up to their hype) - these guys have been in the program long enough - time for someone to become a stud.  

Very true. And to add to the frustration, I've heard that former North Dakota red shirt QB Palendech is in the running to start at FBS UNLV.  Hmmm?

Bubba brought a different tone to practice today than at any other time I can recall.  He called out the team for practicing lazy and weak, and admonished the team's upperclassmen for allowing it to happen. He said the team needs leaders and it needs them now. He added if you're not tough, you won't play in games. 

Day 2 take aways.

Iwarri was the best looking RB today.  His speed and moves are quite apparent..

in fact, three players stood out today and showed they are flat out burners: Smith, Santiago and Georges. 

I continue to to be extremely impresses with Seibel and Alex Reed at WR.  Both are lunch pail guys who snarf up anything thrown in their vicinity. Very very good posession receivers. 

TE Ruhe tweaked his leg today and sat out most of practice. He was walking well on his own power and should be ok. 

The safety tandem of Johnson and Arnell is very good. 

The freshmen QBs progression from Day 1 to Day 2 was very noticeable. They looked much better today. 

Studsrud, Mollberg  and Bartles were equally solid. 

Greely and Carrothers had nice rushes around the outside that would have resulted in big TFLs.

All in all a good day with beautiful weather, just need a little more sense of urgency and for some guys to step up and be more vocal in addition to their leading by example. 

Thanks for a great update, Teeder.  I was very encouraged by your observations regarding Smith, Santiago, and Georges; those three may help address one of this team's greatest needs:  players that have the ability to break one every now and again.  Was very concerning, though, that Bubba had to dress the team down for practicing lazy and weak on only the second day of practice.  Need upperclassmen leaders to step up and lead the way.

Status of Defense???

Noseguard and corner appear to be the only real question marks on the defense. The defensive end, linebacker, and safety spots are improved if anything. 

No Hinojosa is the big one, in my opinion. Corner has added some solid additions -- in Jahmere Irvin-Sills and Vashon Tucker -- and will have returners like Deion Harris, Chris Brown, and Chris Carter,but the noseguard spot is going to come down to how capable redshirt freshman Tank Harris and true freshman Steve Greer are. Wouldn't be surprised to see a typical defensive end play a lot of noseguard, like Carrothers, newcomer Noah Johnson, or Cieslak. 

In my opinion, quarterback play will make or break this season - other positions have been solidified but in order to compete with the top programs we need good to great qb play.  We have been waiting a long time for someone to step up (or, in Molberg and Bartles case just play up to their hype) - these guys have been in the program long enough - time for someone to become a stud.  

Totally agree with this.  At some point you gotta earn it, or you're a JAG (just another guy), as Parcells used to say.

The O line play the last few years hasn't been good enough for me to form a fair opinion on either guy.  They have looked good at times, bad at times all while having to dodge oncoming pass rushers consistently.  

Key to the offense this season is O-line play. 

The O line play the last few years hasn't been good enough for me to form a fair opinion on either guy.  They have looked good at times, bad at times all while having to dodge oncoming pass rushers consistently.  

Key to the offense this season is O-line play. 

That's why I tend to be keen on Studsrud, if for nothing else, his mobility. I always seem to get less upset when Keaton holds the ball an extra second or so and then takes off up field. 

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 1

Teeder, thanks for the practice scoop, it helps us that can't make it. One question does the run and pass blocking look improved from spring or from last year that you could tell? 

From my perspective, it does. I especially like Adler on the edges and the way he protects the QB.