SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2015

geaux_sioux

Parker Pros,

They look about as much as expected. Heidelbaugh is probably a little further ahead at this point. His throws are more accurate and he's got good command at the line.  I've said before I think he'll be a really good scout team QB for UND this season. As for Hartness, he's not far behind. He looks pretty much the same as most of the freshmen QBs that I've seen roll in to camp the past five years,  and that includes  Mollberg, Bartles, Studsrud and a kid named Palendech, who transferred out and is now fighting for a starting spot with FBS UNLV.  I'm saying the learning curve is steep and we'll learn a lot more about their true abilities once the game starts slowing down for them. 

Edited by Teeder11

Parker Pros,

They look about as much as expected. Heidelbaugh is probably a little further ahead at this point. His throws are more accurate and he's got good command at the line.  I've said before I think he'll be a really good scout team QB for UND this season. As for Hartness, he's not far behind. He looks pretty much the same as most of the freshmen QBs that I've seen roll in to camp the past five years,  and that includes  Mollberg, Bartles, Studsrud and a kid named Palendech, who transferred out and is now fighting for a starting spot with FBS UNLV.  I'm saying the learning curve is steep and we'll learn a lot more about their true abilities once the game starts slowing down for them. 

how are our safeties looking?

how are our safeties looking?

Safeties are looking really good. We have three really good ones for a change: Jawon Johnson, Zach Arnell and Cole Reyes.  William "Swede" James and Dillon Olson have also been around a while and have playing time experience. Arnell plays with a violent chip on his shoulder.  He's like a faster, taller version of an ILB.

• Upvote 1

How are the TE's looking?

TE looks really good, too, with Zach Adler's experience, steady-eddy nature and workman like attitude. He's probably the best blocker of the TE contingent and his versatility allows him to be put in the FB position, if needed. We were sitting better when Ruhe was out there practicing; he's big and tall and can catch in traffic. If Bubba is saying that RBs Arrington and Oliveira are expected back soon despite their apparent ankle injuries, I would expect Ruhe to be on the same return timeline. 

It appears that Feidler is a Ruhe protege who is showing that he possesses many of the same qualities. Luke Matthewson is hit and miss, but when he is on he brings valuable depth to this position group. Nordby has not practiced all camp. I have seen converted OL Jacob Francis line up at times in both the FB and TE slot.  Youngster Keller is coming along nicely at TE but probably won't see the field this year due to all the experienced bodies ahead of him.

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 1

Safeties are looking really good. We have three really good ones for a change: Jawon Johnson, Zach Arnell and Cole Reyes.  William "Swede" James and Dillon Olson have also been around a while and have playing time experience. Arnell plays with a violent chip on his shoulder.  He's like a faster, taller version of an ILB.

Great to hear!!! Who do you see starting?

I was able to sneak out to practice this morning and caught a few minutes of it.

As has been tweeted by various sources this morning, Santiago moved to Running Back today, presumably to make up for the injuries to Arrington, Oliviera and Smith (none seem serious, but they need to be careful with RB depth as we role into the start of the season.).

Both Santiago and Norberg played extremely well today at RB. They ran hard and violently. Norberg had the best run up the gut ....he found a Jer Garmin like seam at the line and busted it open. 

Santiago was especially effective on pass and catches out of the backfield. He's got a second and third gear that is deceiving if you're not ready for it.

Arrington had his boot off today and was walking on it ok. A very good sign. 

DE Greely was back in and looked 100 percent.

However, FB Coyne, who has looked good thus far in camp, was on crutches. Appears to be a minor injury to his knee.

Also, DE Mason Bennett twisted his ankle during team 11-11 drills and had to be helped off the field. 

TE Feidler also sat out today. Does not appear serious.

CB Vashon Tucker sat out practice today. Must have tweaked something during Saturday's scrimmage.

Bartles took reps with the 1s today, but the plays were spread around pretty equally, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

I definitely will not be able to make it out tomorrow for practice as I have meeting all morning. 

See you soon!

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 2

Anything could happen obviously... as I was not expecting Brandon Walker to have his pulled last year but here is my guess as far as those who will lose their red shirts:

Offense:

Oliviera and Santiago and Smith.  My long-shot bets would be Grady, Blair and Rooney.

Some have reported maybe Dulin.... but I think he needs to add some weight to his tall frame. 

Defense:

Tyus Carter and long-shots would be Greer and Engwall.

Edited by Teeder11

Anything could happen obviously... as I was not expecting Brandon Walker to have his pulled last year but here is my guess as far as those who will lose their red shirts:

Offense:

Oliviera and Santiago and Smith.  My long-shot bets would be Grady, Blair and Rooney.

Some have reported maybe Dulin.... but I think he needs to add some weight to his tall frame. 

Defense:

haven't heard anything on Engwall. How has he looked?

haven't heard anything on Engwall. How has he looked?

NOthing flashy... but he is smart, vocal and plays with a lot of emotion for a young kid fresh out of high school.  You can tell by his footwork that he spent some time on skates as a youth. 

In looking at the roster, I see a D-Lineman by the name of Kemuel Denny?  Is he a Freshman or a transfer?  I don't recall seeing/hearing that name before...

EDIT:  Nevermind, I see on Wiki that he is a freshman from Indianapolis.  Just don't recall hearing his name during the recruiting process.

Edited by dmksioux

I really hope Blair gets redshirted.  He could use a year in the weight room and in the cafeteria.  It speaks to the depth of the OL that he's even being considered to have his redshirt pulled (no matter how talented he is).

yes, agreed .... It will depend on depth send injuries. 

Offense:

Defense:

How about Vashon Tucker.  Do you think he will have his shirt pulled.  Probably hard to tell since he came late to camp.