SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp 2015

geaux_sioux

how does Greer look? Is he as strong as he looks?

Greer hasn't shown much yet, as he looks to be still adjusting to the college game, the tempo, the heat, the intensity of practice, etc.  I am curious to see what Coach G's assessment is, as that is the one that truly matters. I see there is a video clip out with comments from Gigli, and it sounds like the Herald will have something tomorrow on the D-line. 

Edited by Teeder11

Anyone else think Boas might make a good NG?

It has crossed my mind but I have no idea of the current talent at NG. Tank hasn't played yet and Woodsmall has played sparingly due to injuries. Seems like transfer Noah Johnson has been getting looks there based off recent reports.

Don't they usually say that in a 3-4 defense that the NG is a very important position?  How do you guys think this will affect us this year potentially not having the type of NG we may want, and not much depth at that position?

Spencer Cummings was a DE for four years before being moved inside. He transformed into a beast when that happened. You never know.

Don't they usually say that in a 3-4 defense that the NG is a very important position?  How do you guys think this will affect us this year potentially not having the type of NG we may want, and not much depth at that position?

Guessing they'll have to make up for it with a continuous rotation, keeping fresh bodies in.  Hopefully one or two guys can step up and take the spot.

Guessing they'll have to make up for it with a continuous rotation, keeping fresh bodies in.  Hopefully one or two guys can step up and take the spot.

I'm guessing we'll see a steady rotation of Tank, Woodsmall, and Greer (Noah Johnson or Austin Cieslak if Greer isn't ready).

The pads were popping today!

One of the relatively bigger story lines of today's practice was the health and depth at RB. Arrington hobbled off the field on his own power after landing awkwardly on his ankle following a running play. The play was over but the follow through carried Arrington forward for a collision with a DB and at that point Arrington went to the ground. He left for the training room and returned to the sidelines with an ice wrap on his ankle.  He did not return to action today. 

On a more positive note (at least offensively), earlier in the practice,  all of the RBs were absolutely schooling a group of LBs during one on one tackle-in-space drills.  All of RBs, including Arrington, looked really good. I continue to be impressed with the burst, cutting ability, and speed around the edges with the ball of Oliviera and Smith.

I should add that this group of linebackers comprised mostly younger guys, but Ratelle and Taj Rich were also in this mix.  

I still don't know who the new punter is but he had arguably the best punt during return drills. It was a towering punt as far as hang time with good distance. 

Mollberg and Studsrud continue to battle hard at QB. If you have been following, you know I am quit high on Studsrud, but I have to admit that Joe brings a calmness and a poise to the huddle and at the line.  His patience and ability to read defences and find the check down reciever is quite good, too.

Labat had a nice INT.

Santiago is very noticeable immediately with his burst and speed. New people come to practice everyday and each day someone wants to know -- "who is #22?"

WR Hartness and CB Harris are still sidelined. WR Bridges dinged up his knee and had ice on it. TE Ruhe was in full pads but took part in limited drills. 

On a side note, I love the access that Bubba gives the public to practices. I follow Ryan Holmgren, a Minot native and Wyoming beat writer. Suffice it to say, all coaches don't give the public nor the media, the kind of access that we enjoy here. I think Ryan got to see maybe the first 30 minutes of yesterday's practice in Laramie. 

Oh well, on to tomorrow and the first two-a-day of the fall camp. 

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 3

Thanks again, Teeder.  I look forward to your report every day.  Gives us great info that isn't always in the Herald reports.

I'm glad it's helpful. The Heralds Tom Miller tweeted that a Baltimore Ravens scout was at practice today, looking at Ratelle and others. 

Edited by Teeder11

Santiago is very noticeable immediately with his burst and speed. New people come to practice everyday and each day someone wants to know -- "who is #22?"

I was thinking Santiago looked good on film, even in High School his skills looked to translate well to college.  Same with Smith and Oliviera.  That said, I am guessing our staff recognized this too and another transfer at RB became less and less important, especially as these guys arrived early for work-outs.  Heck, outside of RB's picking up a blitz now and then, it's a pretty simple position to learn. (not to diminish how fricken talented you have to be to perform)  Why not give the young guys a shot to hit the ground running.  I am glad to hear Norberg is running tough and hope to see something positive out of Arrington too because it will afford us the luxury of working Smith and Santiago in the slot.

• Upvote 2

How do the new CBs look so far?

they've all looked good.  The usual rookie mistakes, but that's to be expected. 

Tyus Carter has been most impressive, even more so than the FBS transfer at this point in camp. 

A couple of work horse guys who have shown some flashes would be Tanner Palmberg and Garrett Bollant. 

Vashon Tucker, the most recent signee, is still getting adjusted to his new surroundings at UND.

Charles Flowers will be in as a depth guy.

The safeties really got me excited this year. There are three legit guys at safety that are going to make some noise this year. 

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing we'll see a steady rotation of Tank, Woodsmall, and Greer (Noah Johnson or Austin Cieslak if Greer isn't ready).

I'm hearing good things about Tank, and also that Noah may be more of a 3rd down pass rush guy. Does that match what others are hearing or seeing?

they've all looked good.  The usual rookie mistakes, but that's to be expected. 

Tyus Carter has been most impressive, even more so than the FBS transfer at this point in camp. 

A couple of work horse guys who have shown some flashes would be Tanner Palmberg and Garrett Bollant. 

Vashon Tucker, the most recent signee, is still getting adjusted to his new surroundings at UND.

Charles Flowers will be in as a depth guy.

The safeties really got me excited this year. There are three legit guys at safety that are going to make some noise this year. 

Good news, and thanks for all the updates. Always look forward to reading more about this team. Can't wait for the season to start.

I waited until both sessions of today's two-a-day were complete before I posted.  Sorry for the wait.

UND has its own recap of today's action if you want to check that out. I will try to keep my info different than what they have provided so as not to double up. 

Here goes:

It was hot out there today-- "Africa hot" in the words of Robin Williams' Adrian Cronauer in "Good Morning, Vietnam!"The troops handled the weather nicely, and coaches and trainers managed the rest and hydration appropriately. There were no heat injuries to speak of after the first two a day. 

That said the typical bumps and bruises are starting to mount -- some worse than others -- as the stationary bike brigade was going strong on the sidelines..

WR Ramon Bridges did return to action today. 

Here's the latest bodycount as far as players who did not practice fully for one reason or another:

Arrington (now wearing a boot on his left leg)

Meindel

Ruhe

WR Hartness

Nordby

Merz

Poole practiced but was icing his ankle immediately after the afternoon session. 

Woodsmall did not participate fully in afternoon drills but it could be because he is on a "pitch count" so to speak, to keep his rehab going unabated.

A lot of you have been asking about the offensive line. It's my weak point as far as knowledge, but to quench the thirst  for info that is out there I cobbled together som early observations. 

1st team looks to be:

RT Meehan

RG Cox

C Boas

LG Anderson

LT Stockwell

2nd team:

RT Stiner

RG Taylor

C Cox slides from Guard to center

LG Bell

LT Camy

3rd team:

RT Stiner stays at tackle

RG Grady

C Rooney

LG Bell stays at Guard

LT Blair

Obviously,  this is all subject to change. 

Other notes:

Brandon Walker is really coming on at receiver to augment the this rebuilding nucleus of Seibel, Cerrentino and newcomers  Alex Reed, Clive Georges and Luke Stanley. 

Punt return duties have mainly been handled by Irvin-Sills, Reed, Reyes, Georges and Santiago. 

If I was a betting man, and I am not, the return game is where Santiago will have his biggest impact initially WHEN he gets his shirt pulled. 

That's it it for today! Hope it was worth it. 

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 2