SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

On 3/29/2016 at 10:06 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

I think I could see Patts.... Pogo, no way. There's a reason he's a fourth round draft pick. I think Gornall can carve a role by the time he's done here, though. Hard workers often find spots on our teams.

hard workers often find leadership spots on our teams brad just had an article about that

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

Well this gives me another reason to hate the Canucks. Never believe anything anyone says, can't believe I fell for their word the first time

There probably isn't much that has not already been said about this team, now that they won their last game.   But watching off-ice video of Cam Johnson, it is a little ironic to me that so many of us were worried that he would not be able to stand up to the pressure of the big game.  We saw him let in weak goals his first time on the ice and figured he probably had a confidence or nerves problem.  Maybe he did--then.  But you see the footage of him in various situations and at various times this year, especially late, and he seems so calm and pleasant.  The cliché" about goalies is that they are a little bit weird, and they have to be a little bit that way to do what they do.   But this guy just seems to be at peace with himself and enjoying his teammates.   At least from my narrow perspective.    I'm a little conflicted, because I'd really like to see what Tomek can do, but now I want to see how much Cam can accomplish in his career at UND as well.  

• Upvote 3

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:29 PM, brianvf said:

Weird that all the "all-HEA frozen four" comments on NCAA Hockey facebook disappeared rather quickly once the tourney started.
Good to see some other NCHC teams rooting for UND as well against QU to bring the title back West.

From what I saw of QU...it seems like they are a 4th place or so finisher this year in the NCHC.  And Duluth might have gotten by them too.
The games I watched, it seemed like the top 3 teams in the nation were all in the NCHC, but one got upset in the 1st round, as seems to happen each year.

UND: Went from "probably would finish 6th in the HEA" to dominant National Champs in two short weeks.  :)

I've wondered about QU a bit myself after that championship game.  I keep thinking that it is possible they had an off game (UND has had a couple of those at the Frozen Four) but it is also possible they didn't and UND just had an awesome game.  I don't think a healthy Anas could have turned that game around completely for QU.  I will not overly judge QU based on seeing them just two games, because if someone judged UND based on the Denver FF game they would have come away with some doubts.  However, when looking at the NCAA tournament in total, UND was clearly the best team around, at that time.  And I am still enjoying it.

• Upvote 4

On the other hand, if QU misses a couple of posts just a bit more inside, and 1-2 pucks don't bounce over stick blades on cross-ice passes and this would have been a real clencher of a game.

People might rip me for saying this, but UND had a lot of the good fortunate that has eluded them in several past NCAA tournaments paid off in this game.    Don't get me wrong....I think UND played a very very good game and they deserved to win the game based on how they played.  I think QU had a little of the bad luck that has so often bitten UND.   

For me, you play that game again the next night and it could have gone the other way.   I do recall the TV guys saying after the 1st period that the QU coach said it may have been their worst period of the year.    I'll go back to Siouxman's question....was that on QU, or was that because of UND's play.   Probably some of both.

That final score was lopsided, but I think QU showed they were a very dangerous team and didn't have a few things go their way that really would have tighted this up.  They DID have the benefit of the officiating, IMO.  So they had THAT going for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxman said:

.....However, when looking at the NCAA tournament in total, UND was clearly the best team around, at that time.  And I am still enjoying it.

I agree with you for the most part.  UND earned their wins.  They peaked at the right time, and showed they were as good or better than the competition.

The game vs QU was as lopsided as the score. QU had minimal chance to compete 5 on 5 from the drop of the puck. The 5 on 3 showed that was their best chance to score all game long. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The game vs QU was as lopsided as the score. QU had minimal chance to compete 5 on 5 from the drop of the puck. The 5 on 3 showed that was their best chance to score all game long. 

Agreed, at least from the upper deck of Amalie Arena it appeared to me that QU was a tier below and a step behind UND.  The only sustained pressure they could muster for the most part was on the powerplays. Sure they hit 2 or 3 posts but we did too. Could we have lost? Sure(See: 2011 Michigan game) but we were absolutely the best team in the country this year and had some stone cold finishers to make sure we didn't.