SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2015-16 season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Only one UND play on that side of the bracket, but two Cags goals and another Schmaltz goal on the other side.
This could come down to UND goal vs UND goal.  But that Schmaltz 5 touch goal is easily the goal of the year.

Probably at any level of hockey.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, choyt3 said:

Yes, I'm biased, but that tic-tac-toe five pass goal was the best play of the year in college hockey, let alone the NCHC. Odd that it would be losing to a goal that wasn't even scored in a conference game. :huh:

I wonder if some voters look at Schmaltz scoring the goal and not the whole play, when comparing the goal scored with the goal scored by the other guy.  If you look at the whole play and everyone who touched the puck, then it's clearly the best goal.   I wonder how many people just look at the the goal itself.

13 minutes ago, dagies said:

I wonder if some voters look at Schmaltz scoring the goal and not the whole play, when comparing the goal scored with the goal scored by the other guy.  If you look at the whole play and everyone who touched the puck, then it's clearly the best goal.   I wonder how many people just look at the the goal itself.

It is the "Plays of the year" not "goals of the year".  The goal wasn't to exciting, but what leed to it was simply amazing.   Not sure how you can overlook the play that led to the goal.  Clip shows the whole play.

• Upvote 3

Just read a story that Jimmy Vesey a senior hockey player from Harvard wrote about his time in college: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey/  Great read!!

I hope our underclassmen read the story and realize the NHL will always be there and their time in college is finite. They can enjoy developing their game while having the time of their lives with the "boys".

• Upvote 1

NCHC Award Finalists have been announced

Herb Brooks Coach of the Year Finalists
Brad Berry, UND
Jim Montgomery, Denver
Bob Motzko, SCSU

Player of the Year Finalists
Drake Caggiula, Sr., F, UND
Danton Heinen, So., F, Denver
Ethan Prow, Sr., D, SCSU

Rookie of the Year Finalists
Brock Boeser, F, UND
Dylan Gambrell, F, Denver
Jack Roslovic, F, Miami

Goaltender of the Year Finalists
Cam Johnson, So., UND
Kasimir Kaskisuo, So., UMD
Charlie Lindgren, Jr., SCSU

Forward of the Year Finalists
Drake Caggiula, Sr., UND
Jake Guentzel, Jr., Omaha
Danton Heinen, So., Denver

Defenseman of the Year Finalists
Will Butcher, Jr., Denver
Ethan Prow, Sr., SCSU
Troy Stecher, Jr., UND
Andy Welinski, Sr., UMD

Offensive Defenseman of the Year Finalists
Will Butcher, Jr., Denver
Ethan Prow, Sr., SCSU
Troy Stecher, Jr., UND

Three Stars Award Finalists
Brock Boeser, Fr., F, UND
Danton Heinen, So., F, Denver
Tanner Jaillet, So., G, Denver
Charlie Lindgren, Jr., G, SCSU

22 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I love Ghost but he's not winning the Calder or up for it for his defensive prowess. He had a 15 game point streak. Ridiculous for a defensman let alone a rookie. I love the kid one of my favorite players in the NHL but I love Stecher's defensive game. I could very well be wrong (good chance I am) but that's just my thoughts and that's what a message board is for. 

I agree, and that's all I was doing as well :)

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

The Omaha fans are trying get everyone to vote against Nick's goal so they win the play of the year.

There are six Omaha goals in the "tourney"...they'll be stuffing a lot of ballot boxes to vote.
Should make the 3/14 matchup between Schmaltz's beauty and Guentzel a fun day.  :)

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

DId AZ not start a series preview thread?!?!? I do NOT like deviations from routine.... particularly with the start of playoffs today :unsure:;)

Welp.... here's DDC take on the series. Cliches in tact.

bit.ly/1nCysAa

It's been kind of a slow week.....I've only seen one person ask if the game is on TV.

• Upvote 2

Canucks GM looking for Brock Boeser to play another year at North Dakota.

Brad E. Schlossman added,

Canucks News Daily @CanucksNow

Benning on Boeser: "He's had a hell of a year. My gut tells me he'll play another year at UND because that's the best for him." #Canucks

Haven't seen any discussion on this little tidbit.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Benning on Boeser: "He's had a hell of a year. My gut tells me he'll play another year at UND because that's the best for him." #Canucks

What a ploy....so he can sign him 100% after next year :)

56 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

This was discussed between periods of a Vancouver-LA game a few nights ago. The TV analyst said that the Canucks GM told him that Boeser would be back at UND for his sophomore year.

21 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It is the "Plays of the year" not "goals of the year".  The goal wasn't to exciting, but what leed to it was simply amazing.   Not sure how you can overlook the play that led to the goal.  Clip shows the whole play.

That's a good point.  The write-up clearly states "plays of the year".  The title of the video is player vs. player, so it all depends on whether people can/will read.

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

This was discussed between periods of a Vancouver-LA game a few nights ago. The TV analyst said that the Canucks GM told him that Boeser would be back at UND for his sophomore year.

I'm smelling another Hobey winner in North Dakota.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

Nothing like and Ortega goal and Ortega being robbed of a goal highlights going against each other.  

Today and tomorrow we'll have to be busy voting.

Later today is Cagguila vs Thompson from UNO and tomorrow is Cags vs UNO and Schmaltz vs SCSU.