SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff 2015

gfhockey

Yes, of course. I just wish there was a Tim Horton's and a Caribou Coffee too, they I could make the rounds. :)

Wander the skyway. Caribou has saturated the skyway like crazy. You can barely go 2 blocks without accidentally running into one.

What was the attendance last year? How easy is it to scalp tickets and or move to the lower bowl? What is good to eat at the rink, anything unique?

I can answer your moving to lower bowl question.  Ushers checked your ticket each time to make sure you actually had a lower bowl ticket in that section.

What was the attendance last year? How easy is it to scalp tickets and or move to the lower bowl? What is good to eat at the rink, anything unique?

the attendance wasn't that great. scalped tickets arnt even worth it because you will be able to buy at the ticket counter. last year the ushers were a pain in the a$$, not sure how they will be this year.

Ticket checked.  Every. Single. Time.

Once down in the level, we moved about some, but getting to the stairs meant having your ticked out.

I moved down with my upper bowl ticket both games. Just walk by no eye contact like youve been there before.

If they check just go to the next usher.

Scalpers wanted higher than retail.

Yup, just walked right by like the ushers didn't even exist and I knew exactly where I was going.

Yeah there were a couple ushers that didn't care. Most demanded to check your tickets eye contact or not. Not sure why they care when there's open seats everywhere.

What ticked me off...me and my buddy bought drinks for friends in another section. We werent allowed to bring them their drinks or even stand in the tunnel so we could see the game while we were waiting for them to come up the stairs since the usher wouldn't let us down! Usher proceeded to tell us to get in the concourse or he'd kick us out of the building. Also be prepared to get frisked heavily every time you walk in the place.

I think they are used to more of a thug atmosphere at this place.

I don't know if this ship has sailed, but here goes.  Does anyone know the terms of contract the WCHA has with the X for the final five. I am thinking that if Mankato is the only local team that makes the tourney, it will be crickets over there.  What are the chances of getting the NCHC to the X is the main question.  My wife and I are planning on going to the frozen four this year and I really am not looking forward to Target after having been to the X for so many years.

I don't know if this ship has sailed, but here goes.  Does anyone know the terms of contract the WCHA has with the X for the final five. I am thinking that if Mankato is the only local team that makes the tourney, it will be crickets over there.  What are the chances of getting the NCHC to the X is the main question.  My wife and I are planning on going to the frozen four this year and I really am not looking forward to Target after having been to the X for so many years.

I don't think the NCHC will ever be in the X.

I doubt anything happens within the 5 years or so that the NCHC has a contract with the Target Center.  Additionall, some time in the near future the Target Center is going to be upgraded. 

I'll be honest, I've got so many good memories of the Final Five at the X that it's a tough transition to the Target Center.  That said, if it was the NCHC at the X it wouldn't be just like it was with the WCHA.  Like them or not, gopher fans helped stoke the attendance numbers significantly, and helped to make for a dynamic environment.   And that walk up W. 7th street was always festive, especially in nice weather.  

But with just NCHC teams, there wouldn't be the same number of fans and the ambiance would be different.  The venue, right now, would be better.  But if that's where we were and the ambiance wasn't the same, I suspect our opinions of the tournament would suffer because we are directly comparing the NCHC experience to the WCHA experience at the X.

I'm willing to be patient and wait until the Target Center upgrades are completed before cementing my own opinion on the location of the tournament.   And who knows, as the NCHC has time to learn and improve the tournament experience this could just be the start of a new, and great hockey tourney experience for the fans, at the Target Center.

A friend has had all 3 of his daughters do foreign exchange opportunities during their high school days.   Sometimes the kids are apprehensive but as his family has learned to grow through those experiences + their family's experience with foreign travel, he's said the lesson they've learned is that when you go to a new place, the mindset needed is "it's not worse.  It's not better.  It's just different."

'm hopeful in the end that's how we'll feel about the Target Center location in the long run.

• Upvote 1

What's funny is you usually don't know what you've got until it is gone. All of us knew what we had with the WCHA and the WCHA Final Five, yet somehow they couldn't find a way to keep that intact. I would call it Karma for Barry Alvarez and Wisconsin this year but he doesn't give a rip about hockey anyway.

I doubt anything happens within the 5 years or so that the NCHC has a contract with the Target Center.  Additionall, some time in the near future the Target Center is going to be upgraded. 

I'll be honest, I've got so many good memories of the Final Five at the X that it's a tough transition to the Target Center.  That said, if it was the NCHC at the X it wouldn't be just like it was with the WCHA.  Like them or not, gopher fans helped stoke the attendance numbers significantly, and helped to make for a dynamic environment.   And that walk up W. 7th street was always festive, especially in nice weather.  

But with just NCHC teams, there wouldn't be the same number of fans and the ambiance would be different.  The venue, right now, would be better.  But if that's where we were and the ambiance wasn't the same, I suspect our opinions of the tournament would suffer because we are directly comparing the NCHC experience to the WCHA experience at the X.

I'm willing to be patient and wait until the Target Center upgrades are completed before cementing my own opinion on the location of the tournament.   And who knows, as the NCHC has time to learn and improve the tournament experience this could just be the start of a new, and great hockey tourney experience for the fans, at the Target Center.

A friend has had all 3 of his daughters do foreign exchange opportunities during their high school days.   Sometimes the kids are apprehensive but as his family has learned to grow through those experiences + their family's experience with foreign travel, he's said the lesson they've learned is that when you go to a new place, the mindset needed is "it's not worse.  It's not better.  It's just different."

'm hopeful in the end that's how we'll feel about the Target Center location in the long run.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here.  As much as I enjoyed 7th/McGovern's/Tom Reid's, and as down as I've been about the condition of the TC, I'm still going back this year - and will be taking a different approach in trying not to compare so much.  Last year was all about "I wonder how this will stack up?", but this year the tourney will have a better chance of standing on it's own.