SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Faceoff 2015

gfhockey

It's funny because he discounts their success then places them at #1 in his rankings :lol:

The guy is a moron and over thinks everything. Is UND a lock to win it all? Of course not but has there ever been a clear cut winner year-in and year-out? 

There is a reason this guy writes for Yahoo sports.....

• Upvote 1

Umm ok? Not sure where you're going with this. The Minnesota rule was for tv ratings. And playing Saturday afternoon after losing the night semi-final was a disadvantage. What part do you disagree with? I know opposing fans hated the Minnesota rule but nobody hated it more than Lucia and the reason was because sometimes it would put the Gophers at a disadvantage. it was NEVER an advantage in any way. Whether the Gophers were playing Saturday night or Saturday afternoon they were playing a team that had more rest plain and simple. And my initial argument still stands that this was the main reason the Gophers sucked in 3rd place games.

It was never an advantage to the gophers? Are the gophers the only team in the history of sports that have not benefited from a home ice advantage from fan support?

It was never an advantage to the gophers? Are the gophers the only team in the history of sports that have not benefited from a home ice advantage from fan support?

The home crowd was an advantage sure.  I can't argue that.  But automatically playing the night Semi-final every year wasn't any advantage. 

The home crowd was an advantage sure.  I can't argue that.  But automatically playing the night Semi-final every year wasn't any advantage. 

Playing in the night semi final was an advantage for the Gophers.  More walk up single game tickets will be sold to gopher fans going to the 7:00pm game on a Friday than a 2:00pm game on a Friday afternoon.   Which resulted in more Gopher fans at the semi final game creating an even bigger home ice advantage.  The disadvantage was the Saturday game where, no matter if they won or lost, the team they played had more rest. 

Playing in the night semi final was an advantage for the Gophers.  More walk up single game tickets will be sold to gopher fans going to the 7:00pm game on a Friday than a 2:00pm game on a Friday afternoon.   Which resulted in more Gopher fans at the semi final game creating an even bigger home ice advantage.  The disadvantage was the Saturday game where, no matter if they won or lost, the team they played had more rest. 

The rule was strictly for TV.  If Gopher fans knew in advance they their team played at 2 they would buy tickets just the same and attendance would not be effected.  At all.  

Umm ok? Not sure where you're going with this. The Minnesota rule was for tv ratings. And playing Saturday afternoon after losing the night semi-final was a disadvantage. What part do you disagree with? I know opposing fans hated the Minnesota rule but nobody hated it more than Lucia and the reason was because sometimes it would put the Gophers at a disadvantage. it was NEVER an advantage in any way. Whether the Gophers were playing Saturday night or Saturday afternoon they were playing a team that had more rest plain and simple. And my initial argument still stands that this was the main reason the Gophers sucked in 3rd place games.

"WCHA, Bruce McLeod speaking."

"Hi Bruce, it's Don Lucia."

"Hi Don. What can I help you with?"

"Well, as the #1 seed, we'd actually prefer to play the Friday afternoon game this year."

"Sure, no problem. That's all you wanted?"

"Yep. See you next weekend."

"Alrighty. Take care."

• Upvote 2

The rule was strictly for TV.  If Gopher fans knew in advance they their team played at 2 they would buy tickets just the same and attendance would not be effected.  At all.  

I hate to bite on this but are you serious? Do you honestly believe that the exact same amount of fans that make it to a game at 7PM are available to go to a 2PM Gopher game on a Friday? 

• Upvote 2

"WCHA, Bruce McLeod speaking."

"Hi Bruce, it's Don Lucia."

"Hi Don. What can I help you with?"

"Well, as the #1 seed, we'd actually prefer to play the Friday afternoon game this year."

"Sure, no problem. That's all you wanted?"

"Yep. See you next weekend."

"Alrighty. Take care."

You think it's that easy?  Lucia had zero say.  Every institutions AD got to vote and every one of them including UND voted for the rule.  

He says Miami and Denver are both pretty strong in goal.  I guess Zane is just OK.  Not sure why this guy won't guve UND any respect.  I guess we will just hate to hoist the trophy in April in Boston to prove it to him!!

In his earlier article discounting UND he also floated the notion that UND's success so far is a mirage, fueled in part by Zane's play at times, and in larger part by the fact that we apparently never left REA this year.

But here's the thing.  First, when we did leave REA we were as good as any team in the country.  UND's winning % on the road was, by my eye, 3rd best.

Lambert's darlings, DU and Miami, didn't exactly kill it on the road.  DU was under .500, and Miami was barely over.

I'm sure he'd say, or has said, that we didn't play anyone of consequence on the road.

But again, if you look at strictly conference play, I think we were 8-4 on the road.  UMD who was supposedly a great road team this year was 7-5.  Miami 6-5-1, DU 5-6-1 and UNO 4-5-3.

You'd think for a guy who claims he's a "numbers" guy he'd actually look at the numbers.  ;)

Those who point out he likes to try to aggravate our fan base are correct.  What's funny is that in the comments to his article, it's apparent he has aggravated just about every other fan base.  :D

• Upvote 1

Let's not kid ourselves that Don Lucia "hated" the so-called Gopher rule. How many recruits were skipping school so they could catch the 2:00 pm North Dakota or St Cloud game? Answer? Not many. Minnesota and its fans loved that prime-time game and they know it.

What will the excuse be when Goldy loses this Friday afternoon to OSU/PSU? The early afternoon start interrupted nappy-time?

Sorry but you're just wrong.  Lucia did hate the rule and I know this for an absolute fact.  

People complained about the so-called "Minnesota rule" (as an aside, the exact same rule was implemented the couple of years the tournament was held in Wisconsin and Wisconsin got the night game), for years.   I was not one of them.

First, there is no question the league and tv wanted that rule to allow local fans to come to the game after work, or watch Minnesota play in the evening.

But people forget what a huge advantage that was for some other programs, namely UND, DU and a few others.  I can't tell you how many times I got to watch UND play an afternoon semi-final against a team that had just played the play-in game the night before.  It didn't always work that way.  If MN was the #1 seed the play-in winner got to mercifully wait until Friday night.  But many a time I got to see a tired UMD or CC or other team show up at the rink just a few hours after a tough fought win in the play in game, and we almost never lost those games.

Sorry but you're just wrong. Lucia did hate the rule and I know this for an absolute fact.

Well, I could be wrong, Mr Sonmor, but I'd like to see some evidence that tDon hated the prime-time games.

No complaining this year though. Hopefully the 200 Gopher fans and 8 OSU or PSU fans enjoy the afternoon game at JLA.