SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

8 hours ago, 1972 said:

the person or persons responsible for the music and overall noise when UND in on OFFENSE. need to be fired, like yesterday...it is totally inexcusible to be playing any sort of music, or making any sort of noise when the offense is on the field.  what is so damn hard to figure out! is a freaking joke, and NDSU fans are still laughing about it.  i have been watching this happen for way to many years.

When hockey is all you know you think it is okay to play right up until play begins. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Don’t NFL teams do it?

having attended a game in Green bay recently...no...no they dont.  it is pin drop quiet other than telling you what down it is or getting jacked up after a big play..i could hear rodgers caddence, and i was in the upper deck

14 hours ago, CMSioux said:

When hockey is all you know you think it is okay to play right up until play begins. 

this is EXACTLY the problem.. band director dosent know crap about football, and the whoever is in control of the sounds system knows less.  cant believe Bubba hasnt said anything about this.  it literally cost us more than one false start

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, coltssiouxfan said:

I usually try to get to my tailgating spot 2.5 hrs before game time.  On a number of occasions I’ve pulled up and people are parked in my season tailgating spot. Sometimes without a pass.  Clearly nobody is guiding people where to go 

This is correct. I got to the SU game at 12:00, I do not have a parking pass or a tailgating spot. I paid the $10 and asked the kid where to go and he pointed to what has to be the diamond or emerald club parking.  I drove in and there was no one there to tell me where to go so I parked 50 yards from the front door. 

3 hours ago, 1972 said:

this is EXACTLY the problem.. band director dosent know crap about football, and the whoever is in control of the sounds system knows less.  cant believe Bubba hasnt said anything about this.  it literally cost us more than one false start

Pretty weak to blame the false starts on crowd/stadium noise.  Those guys would've been jumping early in a library.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Pretty weak to blame the false starts on crowd/stadium noise.  Those guys would've been jumping early in a library.

I agree we need to be better with the noise...however it was a home game and between the band and the Alerus pumping music our offense had to deal with a lot of noise. No reason they should have to deal with either when playing at home. This needs to be fixed before the next game. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, 1972 said:

I have to argue with you on this one. He knows as much about football as anyone in the arena. However, when your playing time is as limited as the band’s is, you take advantage of every opportunity you can. The Pride has had their playing time diminished over the years at both the Ralph and Alerus. If they choose not to play while UND has the ball, they won’t be playing much at all. This is an Alerus Center issue, not the marching band’s deal.

I agree that it should be quiet when we’re on offense. No doubt. Stupid loud canned music being pumped in is about as frustrating as it gets. I’m a former Pride drum major and the only times I kicked off the band when the Sioux had the ball was after a 1st down and when a TO was called. Unfortunately they don’t have those kinds of liberties anymore because of all the commercials/events/promotions/recognitions/etc. Add this to the already growing list of issues at the Alerus. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

How many times has this issue been posted on  this thread?  Does the staff not know that this is a problem?  Do the coaches not tell the Alerus Center staff that this affects their offense?

The Alerus Center higher ups need to consult with other stadiums to see what they do in their in game production so they do and take some tips.  Heck, there is a college 70 miles down the road who does a pretty darn good job with game day atmosphere. Really not that hard.  Don't even need to meet with anyone at the Fargodome.  Just go to a game and see for yourself.  When the Bison are on offense, its like church in there.  When they are on defense it's a rock concert!!!  

Do better Alerus.  Help our team.  don't hurt it.

And in typical UND fashion they had a "Game Day Experience" committee a few years ago - what happened with that?

11 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

I have to argue with you on this one. He knows as much about football as anyone in the arena. However, when your playing time is as limited as the band’s is, you take advantage of every opportunity you can. The Pride has had their playing time diminished over the years at both the Ralph and Alerus. If they choose not to play while UND has the ball, they won’t be playing much at all. This is an Alerus Center issue, not the marching band’s deal.

I agree that it should be quiet when we’re on offense. No doubt. Stupid loud canned music being pumped in is about as frustrating as it gets. I’m a former Pride drum major and the only times I kicked off the band when the Sioux had the ball was after a 1st down and when a TO was called. Unfortunately they don’t have those kinds of liberties anymore because of all the commercials/events/promotions/recognitions/etc. Add this to the already growing list of issues at the Alerus. 

So if he know this much about football.  Is he for UND or against UND.  Or just for the band and *&^%$@@ UND Football team.  simple question.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

Sorry if a UND football fan has to choose between hearing 30 seconds of the band or quiet to allow our offense a little advantage, the band loses. While we enjoy and appreciate the band when we have the ball there needs to be as little noise as possible. Since this is not a new issue their leader needs someone to explain this to them.

• Upvote 1

This is simple: QUIET WHILE ON OFFENSE and the ADVANTAGE is what we all want. STAND UP AND BE CRAZY all you want while UND is on defense. 

The BAND can play their as* off all they want during TV timeouts and when UND is on defense, but should be strict no play rule when UND has the ball. 

As the UND-NDSU game evidenced, UND has the potential for a heck of a homefield advantage, but it does take people using their head a bit (I know, I know ... that is hard for some). From my experience, being at the game and from my vantage point, at least one or two of the false starts UND had vs NDSU was due to "friendly fire" crowd noise 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

You'll never have a quiet offense at home when UND is playing NDSU.

And that's not UNDs fans fault. 

Good point - now we know how other hockey team fans feel when UND is in their building. SU only had about 20% of the crowd but they were loud - when you add in our own band and/or the in-house music along with them they made some noise.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

at least one or two of the false starts UND had vs NDSU was due to "friendly fire" crowd noise 

Disagree, they were just flat out mental mistakes.
For whatever reason, penalties that weren't there in the spring have popped up this fall. Needs to be fixed ASAP, this team doesn't have that margin for error.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Disagree, they were just flat out mental mistakes.
For whatever reason, penalties that weren't there in the spring have popped up this fall. Needs to be fixed ASAP, this team doesn't have that margin for error.

Of course they are mental mistakes, all penalties are, but there is no way you can completely dismiss the impact home crowd noise had on influencing those mistakes  …

good football crowds keep it quiet when the home team is on offense. To say the und crowd in the Alerus cant accomplish this is pretty damn insulting … even if they only know hockey 

On 10/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, 1972 said:

The band director was a drum major at Oklahoma and is from Oklahoma I think he might now something about football. 

Do you guys think Bubba doesn't have a phone number to get in touch with us and tell us he doesn't want us to play if that were the case?

Band plays until the huddle breaks, that's what they've asked for, that's what we provide. 

When we do and do not play is not established by us, there are game day meetings and we get a script from athletics.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Answer.....a team with a chance to make the playoffs so people walk through the doors to watch even in marginal weather.

Lots of Fargo people traveled up I29 to GF for EDC VB today.

Marginal? I would not take my family out in that weather for unnecessary travel. It’s just a game…