SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and couldn't they have an outside area (with concessions in summer) that you access if you went up the west stairs by the interstate and had doors at the top of the stairs leading outside behind the und helmet with a nice view facing south?

33333333.png

A big deck?  That would be really cool.  They could add a bar/restaurant between that deck and the arena, which could be accessible during the pregame tailgate and potentially during games (could also potentially be reserved for people with club seats or people with seating in high donation champions club areas, or not).

If gambling is ever allowed in ND, it would be cool if you could place in-game bets there also...

Speaking of gambling, does UND get any of the money from playmakers gambling?  If not, what charity does that money go to?  And if not, does UND or NDSU get any money from local gambling, besides 50/50 drawings?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

A big deck?  That would be really cool.  They could add a bar/restaurant between that deck and the arena, which could be accessible during the pregame tailgate and potentially during games (could also potentially be reserved for people with club seats or people with seating in high donation champions club areas, or not).

If gambling is ever allowed in ND, it would be cool if you could place in-game bets there also...

Speaking of gambling, does UND get any of the money from playmakers gambling?  If not, what charity does that money go to?  And if not, does UND or NDSU get any money from local gambling, besides 50/50 drawings?

could even connect it to the glass atrium above the main entrance.....

12 minutes ago, Kab said:

Poor planning on both the Alerus and the Betty when they designed so it makes almost impossible to expand the ends of both buildings.

the Betty should have been designed with a bowl in mind.  The Alerus should of had a way better design period. 

the betty was built on a short timeline....wjc?

2 hours ago, Kab said:

With that large roof it makes sense to put solar on the whole roof.

need to start seeing more solar in our part of the world 

Because we have 39 days of sun per year?

BTW.....just taking off out of PHX.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Poor planning on both the Alerus and the Betty when they designed so it makes almost impossible to expand the ends of both buildings.

the Betty should have been designed with a bowl in mind.  The Alerus should of had a way better design period. 

The Betty design infuriated me. It’s a nice arena but could have been so much better. I can’t stand the bleachers on the end. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, nodak651 said:

UND doesn't get anything from Playmakers gambling, as I believe the LISTEN Center is the nonprofit there.  UND and the foundation aren't involved in charitable gambling, as it'd be an ugly look to take money away from organizations helping kids and other individuals with mental and physical disabilities.

NDSU having no such qualms, TeamMakers is a big player in the charitable gambling scene in Fargo.

13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND doesn't get anything from Playmakers gambling, as I believe the LISTEN Center is the nonprofit there.  UND and the foundation aren't involved in charitable gambling, as it'd be an ugly look to take money away from organizations helping kids and other individuals with mental and physical disabilities.

NDSU having no such qualms, TeamMakers is a big player in the charitable gambling scene in Fargo.

Probably nets them about $700-800K annually though that might be low with the increase in e-tab machines.

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Probably nets them about $700-800K annually though that might be low with the increase in e-tab machines.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

That's disappointing to hear.  Especially with Playmakers inside our own football venue.  Say a hypothetical restaurant was built in the hypothetical South end zone, do you think UND would be interested in getting involved if the opportunity arose in a new location like that, given that it wouldn't be "taking" an opportunity away from anyone?  If you want to avoid hypotheticals, what I'm asking is if it more about the principle of gambling than anything else?  It just seems odd to me that anyone would be offended by it, since UND is a huge part of the community and the athletics department is starving for money. 

Curious what the local regulations are, so I'm gonna do my best to look them up when I get the chance, but this just seems like a huge opportunity that UND is missing out on, and it helps to explain the huge teammakers revenue that NDSU gets.  Not participating just seems like negligence imo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kab said:

You should find someone who has access to one of the original designs. You would be surprised how much nicer it was planned to be, bowl included. Not sure if it was budget cut or hurrying to be ready for the World Juniors to use as a extra space, or both. But the change was drastic. 

Also I have read somewhere in the past that the Alerus was built to be expanded on the ends, but adding the hotel and convention center took away that possibility on the north end for sure.

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

That's disappointing to hear.  Especially with Playmakers inside our own football venue.  Say a hypothetical restaurant was built in the hypothetical South end zone, do you think UND would be interested in getting involved if the opportunity arose in a new location like that, given that it wouldn't be "taking" an opportunity away from anyone?  If you want to avoid hypotheticals, what I'm asking is if it more about the principle of gambling than anything else?  It just seems odd to me that anyone would be offended by it, since UND is a huge part of the community and the athletics department is starving for money. 

Curious what the local regulations are, so I'm gonna do my best to look them up when I get the chance, but this just seems like a huge opportunity that UND is missing out on, and it helps to explain the huge teammakers revenue that NDSU gets.  Not participating just seems like negligence imo.

this is news to me too......i thought playmakers was a restaurant owned by a bison fan with deep pockets...i guess i was clueless as to what playmakers means to ndac.

41 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

this is news to me too......i thought playmakers was a restaurant owned by a bison fan with deep pockets...i guess i was clueless as to what playmakers means to ndac.

Playmakers gambling in the Canad doesn't benefit ndsu in any way.  It goes to the LISTEN Center in Grand Forks.

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Who here has some extra time available?  UND is hiring for a part time, temporary, marketing position.  One of the job duties will be marketing for the football tailgate... would be a fun part time job... https://campus.und.edu/human-resources/careers/job-openings.html

image.png.e88b84e580b80bdea5f65045826a23c5.png

Tailgating issues won't get fixed if they hire an intern every year who is starting over. Not saying it can be a stand alone position but this demonstrates how little interest there is at UND in making tailgating bigger and better than it is. 

1 minute ago, CMSioux said:

Tailgating issues won't get fixed if they hire an intern every year who is starting over. Not saying it can be a stand alone position but this demonstrates how little interest there is at UND in making tailgating bigger and better than it is. 

thought that tailgating was essentially a great experience for most?  some of the videos ofthe web show it being a madhouse (even with midgets?)

It’s not that hard to figure out

should be one promo and marketing for all Und sports, don’t piecemeal out different sports 

we need more family ticket pricing to get the youngsters at the games

when you look at game tickets, concessions, parking, and a few Und items it gets to be a pricey day, plus  the gas prices and motels if needed it’s hard to attend a game.

I still wonder why there aren’t more business doing more promotions for game days