SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Needed At The Alerus?

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, LH Golfer said:

What happened to the Team stats that used to be on the scoreboard?

Gotta think it might be a staffing issue? Who does the in house production team report to - the Alerus, UND? The team stats on the big screen is a huge miss. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Gotta think it might be a staffing issue? Who does the in house production team report to - the Alerus, UND? The team stats on the big screen is a huge miss. 

remember at the old ralph to let the other side of the press box or i guess announce to the whole press box stats and whatnot they would use an old fashioned projector and project it onto a screen by the roof so  hennen could belt out the fighting  siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooox scoring?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wheelsup said:

The alerus really needs to get their crap together.  There were a couple issues during yesterdays game that should get fixed immediately!

1) the PA and the ref were both on at the same time.  You could not hear what the ref was saying for his calls/reviews

2) I saw an usher chewing out a group of boys for having the nerve to stand and cheer while our team was on defense.  They must have been blocking some grey hairs view of the game.  

3) is it too much to ask to have a little merchandise for sale at the game? there were like 3 small racks.. and we are still selling the same GameDay shirt from about 10years ago.

4) seems like we could put a little more effort into the entrance. 

there were 8500 fans there.. might as well kill the spirit of the faithful that showed up.  I know this is heresy but go to a bison game.. they have stacks of merch for sale all over and their entrance stuff is pretty cool. Feels like the alerus and/or our marketing group are just mailing it in for UND football. These seem like short putts easy to fix with a little effort.

This would be the perfect time for my “expectations” spiel, but the blind grey hairs on here tend to get a bit irked when reality hits. 

Bottomline, UND doesn’t care about football. It’s a pro hockey farm team that supports college athletics on the side. Football is the red-headed step child.

I mean, I completely agree that the marketing and in-game productions could be so much better, AND I honestly don’t believe the people in charge are incompetent, but rather the expectations are just so low (because, you know, why compete head-to-head with NDSU when you can just fall back on hockey), that the effort then lacks. If you aren’t held to high expectations, you won’t exceed the minimum level of effort required. 

ok-rant over. I digress. Really, UND athletic department just needs to care more about football, and I haven’t seen it in over 15 years. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

After the hype video plays, they need to cue to the doors opening and Bubba leading the boys out, with some sort of song, which has been Metallica in the past.

I completely agree with this, and it would instantly hype up the crowd. Absolute guarantee to get people ready for kickoff. Metallica is ok, stay away from AC/DC because of ag school (they’ve ruined Thunderstruck for me) but rather I would go with the alan parsons project sirius (chicago bulls theme song). Would absolutely rock the place if done right. UN-L does fabulous job with this done at Memorial Stadium; they’ve mastered the tunnel walk, and were the first to do it. 

Getting back to UND, I thought the highlight video to start was fine, but play Alan Parsons Project, have doors open, and then follow Bubba leading them out the tunnel. Would be spot on

lastly, for additional items to the entrance, I would like stats and scores throughout the game, but also show some highlight videos. for example, before the potato bowl vs NAU on 9/9, show the highlights from the 2016 comeback game vs NAU that secured the Big Sky championship. Do something to get the crowd pumped up and provide context for new fans. Also, pay tribute to und football history. With it being potato bowl time, show a tribute video of the late Jerry Olson, former UND HC (first UND HC from ND) and founder of the potato bowl.

Then, of course, for when NDSU comes to town 10/14, you definitely have years of highlight material to string together. Throw some highlights of Digger Anderson stuffing the 4th down attempt in 2003 to get the latest win for und against ag school. Just do something to spice up the fan base. I’m sorry, but the lack of enthusiasm towards football is so obvious. It’s an effort thing, not a lack of competence or innovation. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, wheelsup said:

The alerus really needs to get their crap together.  There were a couple issues during yesterdays game that should get fixed immediately!

1) the PA and the ref were both on at the same time.  You could not hear what the ref was saying for his calls/reviews

2) I saw an usher chewing out a group of boys for having the nerve to stand and cheer while our team was on defense.  They must have been blocking some grey hairs view of the game.  

3) is it too much to ask to have a little merchandise for sale at the game? there were like 3 small racks.. and we are still selling the same GameDay shirt from about 10years ago.

4) seems like we could put a little more effort into the entrance. 

there were 8500 fans there.. might as well kill the spirit of the faithful that showed up.  I know this is heresy but go to a bison game.. they have stacks of merch for sale all over and their entrance stuff is pretty cool. Feels like the alerus and/or our marketing group are just mailing it in for UND football. These seem like short putts easy to fix with a little effort.

I’d be more likely to adapt to the new nickname but quality UND merchandise doesn’t exist anywhere. No wonder why Scheels is dominated by the green and gold merchandise. 

my purchases would even triple if they went back to the interlocking ND. That logo is on some of my favorite merchandise I own. Someone has to do better than who is doing it now

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This would be the perfect time for my “expectations” spiel, but the blind grey hairs on here tend to get a bit irked when reality hits. 

Bottomline, UND doesn’t care about football. It’s a pro hockey farm team that supports college athletics on the side. Football is the red-headed step child.

I mean, I completely agree that the marketing and in-game productions could be so much better, AND I honestly don’t believe the people in charge are incompetent, but rather the expectations are just so low (because, you know, why compete head-to-head with NDSU when you can just fall back on hockey), that the effort then lacks. If you aren’t held to high expectations, you won’t exceed the minimum level of effort required. 

ok-rant over. I digress. Really, UND athletic department just needs to care more about football, and I haven’t seen it in over 15 years. 

Sounds like an opportunity for you to step up and lead...  or fund.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Sounds like an opportunity for you to step up and lead...  or fund.

There’s opportunities for all of us. As I’ve said before, I can’t force higher expectations or greater effort to happen, but as the masses, we can help actuate high expectations.

As for what I do try to accomplish behind the scenes, I don’t provide a play-by-play on here. What I can state, however, is despite what some grey hairs say, there is a lot more resistance and lack of enthusiasm than what is reported (at least towards football).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There’s opportunities for all of us. As I’ve said before, I can’t force expectations to happen, but as the masses, we can help actuate high expectations.

Is there any factual evidence that fan expectations play a significant role?  Does your constant sniping & griping help?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As for what I do try to accomplish behind the scenes, I don’t provide a play-by-play on here. What I can state, however, is despite what some grey hairs say, there is a lot more resistance and lack of enthusiasm than what is reported (at least towards football).

Resistance to what? 

I spoke to someone from UND and also the Alerus Center and both were looking for feedback on what was working and what needed to be improved. They want to make it the best they can. Just because they don't implement 100% of your ideas doesn't mean they don't care. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Resistance to what? 

I spoke to someone from UND and also the Alerus Center and both were looking for feedback on what was working and what needed to be improved. They want to make it the best they can. Just because they don't implement 100% of your ideas doesn't mean they don't care. 

I agree they’re open to improvement. It’s the rate of change that can be frustrating. Again, no play-by-play. I think improvement is ongoing, otherwise I would just give up. Again, my comments on here are actually to provide hope, despite the negativity take people grab onto. Remember, apathy is much much worse than realism and occasional criticism. Other FCS fan forums are ghost towns - those programs are the ones truly in despair.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Are you taking into account the number of prospective fans that are disengaged because of your negative bullhorn methods?  What about all the persons that have you on ignore?  Do you strive to be Siouxsports version of "Lakes Bison"?

One of life’s rules: you can’t please everyone. Folks who are quick to dismiss my ideas due to their sensitivity and preferences can do what they wish. They likely are the problem, not the solution. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1