SiouxSports.com Forum

gas prices

UND92,96

I believe I saw gas prices right now are (with adjusted for inflation) the lowest it's been since the 70's....(cant be good for ND oil).

....(It's like the movies: "Greatest grossing film of all time." We duh...There's a gazillion more people in the world (USA) and inflation makes that "statistic" not that amazing.)

But they don't talk about how the gas at that price seem to be diluted with 10% ethanol. What's it adjusted to when pure gas is fifty cents higher?

Gotta love those bumper stickers (who has bumper stickers anymore anyways :lol:: "Gas was $1.XX when Bush took office...Gas was $X.XX when Clinton was in office."

I swear it seems like whenever there's we are on a verge of an (general) election gas prices seem to plummet. 

Listening to KNOX 1310 a few days ago, They were talking gas prices.

Guy called in (you could tell he was an older fellow)...."I was filling up at Lepiers Gas Station in Fosston a few years ago, a guy walked in and asked for the owner...."I'm from Simonson gas station in Grand Forks and you better raise your prices........."

The host (Jay Thomas?) quickly cut him off and ended the call and then went on a tirade about how this show isn't going to spread rumors, legal actions, slander, not upset advertisers. It was interesting radio.

I thought it was interesting. You hear about it all the time in Grand Forks talking to people. Then you read about it here on SS....it's one thing for hearsay, but to hear it on the radio (not saying its valid or not...and just another form of hearsay really but) just goes to show how far wide spread this "idea" is. I'm one for if there's smoke there's fire (Bruce Jenner, Gwen/Blake)

Instead of constantly bitching here, how about someone call Magellan and ask what their terminal price is in Grand Forks?  The terminal is on Gateway just west of Simplot. Then how about you ask what their terminal price is in Fargo.  Magellan could be charging more because there's no wholesaless competition, unlike Fargo.

Since there's absolutely no investigative journalism in North Dakota and Grand Forks, create your own.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Since there's absolutely no investigative journalism in North Dakota and Grand Forks, create your own.

I'm going to pile on right here based on a conversation recently with past poster.  I'll admit I'm stealing a few of their words. 

I would argue that "the press" or "journalist" is any person or organization that wants to communicate through a technical means that aids in the mass transmittal of the message. It used to be anyone who owned a particular machine, but no more. Now there are many machines that have more or less replaced the press. (See: Internet)

Part of the problem in this country is that the media has convinced the public that it is a separate class entitled to special rights. Anyone in the public can immediately become a member of "the press" if he or she has the means to do so (See: Rob Port). That means today is a computer and an internet connection.

Given all that, I completely agree with Volley: Don't like it? Go dig in. Hey, if Goon can do it with college hockey writing ... 

41 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Even lower than Flying J?  Maybe all the talk of boycotting Simonson's finally turned into people actually boycotting Simonson's.

Nope, equal to the other stations though at 1.69. Flying J still the best.

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

$3.08 in sunny San Diego...  I took out a loan to fill the rental car.  Lol

That state somehow has to pay for all those living there illegally.

I believe CA has the 2nd or 3rd highest excise tax rate on gas in the US.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Instead of constantly bitching here, how about someone call Magellan and ask what their terminal price is in Grand Forks?  The terminal is on Gateway just west of Simplot. Then how about you ask what their terminal price is in Fargo.  Magellan could be charging more because there's no wholesaless competition, unlike Fargo.

Great post.  You are exactly correct on the terminals being a big factor.    Even in Fargo, I know of trucks standing in long lines for a retailer, thinking they were going to get filled at price X.   And by the time they got to the front of the line and filled, wholesale gas price had risen 20 cents.  

But heck, since we don't know anything for sure, let's just blame the retailer, who gross margins 25-30 cents at the most per gallon..... And 1/3 of that margin gets sent to Visa the instant you swipe your credit card.  

21 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

But heck, since we don't know anything for sure, let's just blame the retailer, who gross margins 25-30 cents at the most per gallon..... And 1/3 of that margin gets sent to Visa the instant you swipe your credit card.  

That's why I tend to the places that discount for cash and pay the cash.