SiouxSports.com Forum

gas prices

UND92,96

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 1:12 PM, darell1976 said:

So how low will it go before it's well over 2 bucks? I say after the new year it will increase. Oil companies will need government help as they aren't getting the billions of dollars in profits like they get every year.

Williston just lowered the price to $2.09 this past week.  enjoy!!!!!

6 hours ago, sprig said:

Yesterday:

Grand Forks 1.99

Mayville 1.89

Cooperstown 1.84

No pipelines to Mayville or Cooperstown, although both are closer to the Fargo to Minot route. Not sure where the places to load trucks are along that route. 

GF has been known to keep prices higher - that dates back to the 70s at least. Controlled mostly by one GF station owner. In the early 70s, however, a gas price war kept prices at 0.19 for an entire school year in GF.

As Judy Collins sang those were the days my friend we thought they would never end.

23 hours ago, sprig said:

Yesterday:

Grand Forks 1.99

Mayville 1.89

Cooperstown 1.84

No pipelines to Mayville or Cooperstown, although both are closer to the Fargo to Minot route. Not sure where the places to load trucks are along that route. 

GF has been known to keep prices higher - that dates back to the 70s at least. Controlled mostly by one GF station owner. In the early 70s, however, a gas price war kept prices at 0.19 for an entire school year in GF.

When I went to DL a few weeks ago, gas was cheaper in Hatton, McVille, and Tolna than it was in Mayville. Why? Beats me.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 9:47 AM, sprig said:

Yesterday:

Grand Forks 1.99

Mayville 1.89

Cooperstown 1.84

The Grand Forks Gas Cartel is inflating the price of gas in Grand Forks.

Had some errors in a previous post.

Grand Forks is served through a Magellan Pipeline through Fargo starting in the Twin Cities.

Minot is served though a Cenex pipeline through Fargo and from the Cities.  That pipeline goes on to Watford City and maybe beyond, as  Cenex has a refinery near Billings too.

Bismarck has the NuStar pipeline that goes to Fargo and the Cities which also has a spur line going to Sioux Falls.  That line is apparently bidirectional.

So Fargo has three different pipeline providers giving it bona-fide competition.  GFK, Minot, and Bismarck only have one supplier, each a different pipeline, and all have significantly higher gasoline prices.

http://www.wdaz.com/news/north-dakota/3913603-why-gf-paying-more-pump-fargo

WDAZ story on gas prices in Grand Forks.  It trots out the same tired excuse of there being more competition in Fargo.  The reason there's more competition in Fargo is because they choose to compete in Fargo.  Grand Forks gas station owners may not have their weekly brunch together anymore, but it's apparent the collusion hasn't stopped.  I only fill at the Flying J in Grand Forks.  Factoring in the time it takes to drive to the Flying J, it doesn't always make economic sense even though it's 10 cents/gallon cheaper, but it's become a matter of principle.

Oddly enough by there own guestimates there is much more competition per capital in Grand Forks of 38 in gf vs 68 in West/Fargo. Which would be equivalent to West Fargo/Fargo having about a 100 gas stations...wouldn't it make sense to mention that in the article?  So I think the validity of those numbers might be questionable also.

But what also matters is how many different owners/companies relative to per capital.

Article does no critical nor in depth thinking. Written about a HS level.