SiouxSports.com Forum

gas prices

UND92,96

$1.89 here in Fargo, just 6 cents more than E-85. That will probably slow down the sales of flex fuel vehicles for a bit.

I'm guessing that a large % of people who own flex vehicles wouldn't run E85 in them anyway...the mileage isn't as good and it's just as expensive in most cases.

I'm guessing that a large % of people who own flex vehicles wouldn't run E85 in them anyway...the mileage isn't as good and it's just as expensive in most cases.

Isn't that bad for that type of car switching from e-85 to regular gas back to e-85?

Isn't that bad for that type of car switching from e-85 to regular gas back to e-85?

If you are going to run e85 I believe the recommend you run regular every so often.

My take on it though.....I avoid ethanol at almost all costs. I've seen the damage it has done to older/small/boat engines. I've seen the gas mileage drops in e10 vs regular. Up in grand forks regular has cost 20 cents a gallon more than e10. With gas prices dropping Below $2 I'm hoping the couple stations that do still sell ethanol free gas can charge less than an extra 20 cents for ethanol free. Because if regular costs more than 10% of e10 I'll have to swallow my pride and just use e10 in my vehicles.

Ps: the flex fuel label on some new cars is a joke. It is a federal government subsidy program that the government has spent way too much money on. The only thing these cars have different is some plastic fittings in the gas lines that the ethanol won't eat away. Just another fairs program by our federal government. Who in their right mind would pay 10% less at the pump to get half the mpg. I think the only time e85 is ever used is to fill up rental cars before they are returned.

If you are going to run e85 I believe the recommend you run regular every so often.

My take on it though.....I avoid ethanol at almost all costs. I've seen the damage it has done to older/small/boat engines. I've seen the gas mileage drops in e10 vs regular. Up in grand forks regular has cost 20 cents a gallon more than e10. With gas prices dropping Below $2 I'm hoping the couple stations that do still sell ethanol free gas can charge less than an extra 20 cents for ethanol free. Because if regular costs more than 10% of e10 I'll have to swallow my pride and just use e10 in my vehicles.

Ps: the flex fuel label on some new cars is a joke. It is a federal government subsidy program that the government has spent way too much money on. The only thing these cars have different is some plastic fittings in the gas lines that the ethanol won't eat away. Just another fairs program by our federal government. Who in their right mind would pay 10% less at the pump to get half the mpg. I think the only time e85 is ever used is to fill up rental cars before they are returned.

It's hard to find stations that don't have ethonal and its more expensive than those with 10% ethonal. I like it for winter so I know my fuel lines won't freeze but it sucks in summer and for road trips. E-85 was the big thing back then when it was so cheap but once the tax breaks ended the price slowly climbed, now it's not worth it anymore.

Not to mention the huge loss in grasslands as roundup ready crops are planted in the grasslands for subsidized ethanol production.

Not to mention the huge loss in grasslands as roundup ready crops are planted in the grasslands for subsidized ethanol production.

Agreed, the ethanol "business" couldn't survive on its own without taxpayers footing most of the bill.  I'm not a schill for the petroleum industry, but as it currently exists but the corn-based ethanol industry is nothing short of a scam. 

• Upvote 1

When I had a car that could run flex fuel I test it out, running E85 for a few months, then regular for a few months.  Turned out due to the decreased gas mileage, the price of E85 needed to be significantly less than regular in order for it to be cost effective.  I can't remember the exact percentage right now, if I remember right, E85 was almost always that exact percentage cheaper, meaning it wouldn't save me any money at all, but I would be inconvenienced by having to fill up quite a bit more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell us where these large tracts of grasslands are that were lost to produce "roundup ready crops" for"subsized ethanol production".  Corn is currently at $2.79 a bushel at our local elevator. Hell of a subsidy. :whistling: