SiouxSports.com Forum

gas prices

UND92,96

Exxon ahd Chevron were big before the shale revolution, and continue to be big.  They haven't grown nearly as much as the shale companies.   They consider the shale wells to small to piss around with.  The way that they will benefit it to buy whole a couple of shale companies.  ExxonMobil did buy one the big shale companies in ND:  XTO.   Apple and Google are almost as big, and you don't hear many people complaining about iPhone or android prices.    

$100 oil prices is very very good for ND now, just as it has been for Norway, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Russia.  If it gets to $60, the economy if GF and ND could go south.

Which is better for you?  $2.75 gas prices or a massive reduction in property or income taxes and rapidly growing incomes?

Another thing most people dont know is something like 70-80% of revenue is drived from over seas. So take 20 % of whats left, then the fact that Exxon makes 2-3 % of that on the sale of distillates.  The sales of distllates is a very small part of this company.

And why do world events cause crude oil prices to fluctuate? Because they affect supply. I sell a commodity that the whole world needs, food. I'm not going  to make much if anything this year even though I had a good crop, I guess I'll blame myself. You really need to take an economics class or stop reading Mother Jones or the Daily Kos.

Actually geopolitical situations rarely effect the supply. Its the POTENTIAL of a  supply disruption that adds 10-20.00 per barrle that is already added in. Then when something does hit the fan you can just double that figure.

The only "free market" I know of is in the retail grocery business. 

You can't be serious. 

The food market is controlled by conglomerates just as ruthless and nasty as "big oil".

Some of the key players in "Big Food"? 

PepsiCo, Dole, General Mills, Nestle, Kraft Foods, Tyson Foods, Coke, and on and on. But they're not profit-seeking evil capitalists like "big oil" ... are they. (Yeah right.) 

See the list: http://www.foodprocessing.com/top100/top-100-2013/

If the suppliers to the retailers are conglomerate, under your theory about gas prices, there is no free market. 

ExxonMobil == Tyson Foods

(local gas station) == (local grocery store)

• Upvote 1

So if you are driving a Flex fuel vehicle are you making bank? $2.08 for E85.

Depends on your mpg.

General rule of thumb though.....the less ethanol the better!

Personally I go out of my way to buy regular unleaded (ethanol free) at 20 cents extra per gallon right now. I come out ahead this way by avoiding the e10 and increase mpgs.

Depends on your mpg.

General rule of thumb though.....the less ethanol the better!

Personally I go out of my way to buy regular unleaded (ethanol free) at 20 cents extra per gallon right now. I come out ahead this way by avoiding the e10 and increase mpgs.

I agree. I try to buy pure gas for the better mileage but I at a $1 a difference for e85. I think it would be the better bargain.

E85 produces 27% less energy than pure gas, but usually the advertised "gas price" has 10% ethanol.

If advertised e10 at $3.00, pure gas is usually in my experience as high as $3.20.

On my 3 vehicles I experience a 6-7% increase in mpgs running e0 rather than e10. So right now it's almost a wash but in the past it used to only be 5 or 10 cents more a gallon. Ethanol is also bad for small engines so I keep it simple and just avoid it at all costs.

• 1 month later...