SiouxSports.com Forum

gas prices

UND92,96

Please tell us where these large tracts of grasslands are that were lost to produce "roundup ready crops" for"subsized ethanol production". Corn is currently at $2.79 a bushel at our local elevator. Hell of a subsidy. :whistling:

more common in sd than in nd. but used to exist in both states

more common in sd than in nd. but used to exist in both states

Do you actually believe there were large tracts of privately owned land in this country that were grassland and not in agricultural production(crop or livestock) or CRP? If there is it's because it's too poor to grow anything on, especially corn. The CRP that did come out was mainly because the USDA stopped renewing large tracts. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Do you actually believe there were large tracts of privately owned land in this country that were grassland and not in agricultural production(crop or livestock) or CRP? If there is it's because it's too poor to grow anything on, especially corn. The CRP that did come out was mainly because the USDA stopped renewing large tracts. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Don't have to believe, and it's not from the internet. I think you've spent much time in a limited area. I've seen most of these two states on the ground and from the air

Ive got nothing against farmers or landowners but if I'm reading this correctly the government reduced funding for a program so many farmers took land that was involved in that last program(Crp) and now have it enrolled in a new program(ethanol) that is funded at a higher rate by the government. 50% of corn is used for ethanol. Can't blame the farmers or landowners, they are just doing what is making them more money. But the governments policies are ruining the land, and the ethanol that is created in the process is ruining engines daily:/

Please tell us where these large tracts of grasslands are that were lost to produce "roundup ready crops" for"subsized ethanol production". Corn is currently at $2.79 a bushel at our local elevator. Hell of a subsidy. :whistling:

http://www.bigpictureagriculture.com/2013/03/weve-lost-9-7-million-acres-of-crp-land-in-five-years-334.html

Check out the graph/map in the link and it answers your question.

And regarding the current low price per bushel: to me this appears to be the result of supply and demand. Too many have tried to cash in on a the ethanol subsidy, less gas is being used, and I hope more consumers are avoiding ethanol at all costs if they possibly can.

Ive got nothing against farmers or landowners but if I'm reading this correctly the government reduced funding for a program so many farmers took land that was involved in that last program(Crp) and now have it enrolled in a new program(ethanol) that is funded at a higher rate by the government. 50% of corn is used for ethanol. Can't blame the farmers or landowners, they are just doing what is making them more money. But the governments policies are ruining the land, and the ethanol that is created in the process is ruining engines daily:/

It's not just the recent ethanol outbreak, it's been going on since the Earl Butz programs drafted in the 50s.

The western nd area has held out from joining these programs to some extent. Is 5000+ acres of contiguous native prairie (1 owner) plus several thousand more in the same area (all owned by ranchers) in Burke County "large" enough to qualify?

Of course these recently pristine grasslands are being torn up rapidly by oil development.

It's not just the recent ethanol outbreak, it's been going on since the Earl Butz programs drafted in the 50s.

The western nd area has held out from joining these programs to some extent. Is 5000+ acres of contiguous native prairie (1 owner) plus several thousand more in the same area (all owned by ranchers) in Burke County "large" enough to qualify?

Of course these recently pristine grasslands are being torn up rapidly by oil development.

Well let's see. I live in Burke County. Have for 52 years. The only place there could be 5000 acres of  "contiguos native prairie" would be Lostwood National Wildlife Refuge. A federal refuge, not privately owned. Native prairie means never been under the plow. As for the several thousand acres owned by ranchers, that would be in the Coteau Hills. That would be currently grazed in pasture. Some pretty rugged land,thus the "hills" part. Haven't seen a lot of corn up there lately. Earl Butz was sec. of ag. in the 70s not 50s. Pesky facts. :)

http://www.bigpictureagriculture.com/2013/03/weve-lost-9-7-million-acres-of-crp-land-in-five-years-334.html

Check out the graph/map in the link and it answers your question.

And regarding the current low price per bushel: to me this appears to be the result of supply and demand. Too many have tried to cash in on a the ethanol subsidy, less gas is being used, and I hope more consumers are avoiding ethanol at all costs if they possibly can.

Again,check your sources. http://www.bigpictureagriculture.com/about. 

Well let's see. I live in Burke County. Have for 52 years. The only place there could be 5000 acres of "contiguos native prairie" would be Lostwood National Wildlife Refuge. A federal refuge, not privately owned. Native prairie means never been under the plow. As for the several thousand acres owned by ranchers, that would be in the Coteau Hills. That would be currently grazed in pasture. Some pretty rugged land,thus the "hills" part. Haven't seen a lot of corn up there lately. Earl Butz was sec. of ag. in the 70s not 50s. Pesky facts. :)

Burke County for 52 years and have never seen the Oneil ranch. It's not Lostwood, and I'm well aware of what is unbroken sod and what is not

Of course it's in the Missouri coteau, which runs from southern Sask all the way down through SD. While the coteau grasslands still exist in Burke County, most of it is gone in the remainder of the coteau, some large chunks of it disappeared in the last 20-30 years, some of that for ethanol, and it is every bit as rugged as Burke County, where landowners have chosen ranching over subsidized farming

I did turn the butz and oil boom eras upside down, much like most of the coteau.

I'm curious as to why aside from Sam's Club and the Flying J truck stop generally being a few cents less, there is never any variance in Grand Forks for gas, but there can be as much as 47 cents per gallon difference between stations, at least as of yesterday, for diesel? Why wouldn't the "agreement" on a set price for gas, which circumstantial evidence strongly suggests has existed for years in GF, extend to diesel, as well?

• 1 month later...

Remember my 3:1 rule.

If the price per barrel moves up a dollar in a week, the pump price will go up correspondingly over a week.

If the price per barrel moves down a dollar in a week, the pump price will go down correspondingly over three weeks. 

Actually, I see that performance/behavior in a lot of commodities prices.