SiouxSports.com Forum

gas prices

UND92,96

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's why I tend to the places that discount for cash and pay the cash. 

Yep, that's what I do, too.   And locally here in the hinterlands, i'll use my local charge card and pay the bill once a month.  They offer 5 to 10 cents off per gallon for using the local card vs. using a regular credit card.

1 hour ago, MoSiouxFan said:

I use the Sam's Mastercard for gas purchases (which gives you 5% cash back on gas purchases (up to $6,000 in purchases)), and for restaurants and travel (3% cash back on restaurants and travel, and 1% on all other purchases).

I think that goes to "Abe Vigoda's" point: 1/3 of the gas retailer's margin goes to the credit card company the minute you swipe. The card company gives you "rewards" so you keep swiping and thus the credit card company can keep "swiping" from the retailers (fees) and from you (interest charges). 

Me, personally, I'd rather eliminate all "rewards programs" and "frequent flier miles" programs and just be charged an honest price. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:18 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Me, personally, I'd rather eliminate all "rewards programs" and "frequent flier miles" programs and just be charged an honest price. 

For those of us who travel for a living, those programs are a hard earned perk.  I use a hotel program card for everything and my company reimburses me.  That is free hotel rooms for my family when we go anywhere, cash cards if I so choose, or a warm weather vacation for my wife who tolerates me being gone.

I agree for most people they make no sense but for those who use them enough to capitalize, they are awesome. 

There is no need for someone who flies once a year to have a Frequent Flier#(hence the name) other than to get them onto a credit card program, sold on the idea of free airfare after years of spending, when often times, the miles expire.

45 minutes ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

For those of us who travel for a living, those programs are a hard earned perk.  I use a hotel program card for everything and my company reimburses me.  That is free hotel rooms for my family when we go anywhere, cash cards if I so choose, or a warm weather vacation for my wife who tolerates me being gone.

I agree for most people they make no sense but for those who use them enough to capitalize, they are awesome. 

There is no need for someone who flies once a year to have a Frequent Flier#(hence the name) other than to get them onto a credit card program, sold on the idea of free airfare after years of spending, when often times, the miles expire.

There is no hard earned perk- we're all paying 3-5% more for everything we purchase because of the convenience of using credit cards.  In this topic of gas prices, I brought it up because margins on gas are thin and just the credit card fee alone is a huge expense for the gas retailer.    

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

There is no hard earned perk- we're all paying 3-5% more for everything we purchase because of the convenience of using credit cards.  In this topic of gas prices, I brought it up because margins on gas are thin and just the credit card fee alone is a huge expense for the gas retailer.    

I am not arguing they are not thin.  I am saying the programs don't benefit most of those who are suckered into them.  They are tools for CC membership. 

I do have a question for you, I live in Fargo and if I shop at Hornbacher's, if I spend less than $50 I get $.04/gal coupon at Holiday, >$50=.08, $100=.12/gal.  Where is that $ coming from?  2 stores have the fuel in the parking lot to use, but the store I am at does not.  Not sure if the GF Hornbacher's does this as well.

9 hours ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

I am not arguing they are not thin.  I am saying the programs don't benefit most of those who are suckered into them.  They are tools for CC membership. 

I do have a question for you, I live in Fargo and if I shop at Hornbacher's, if I spend less than $50 I get $.04/gal coupon at Holiday, >$50=.08, $100=.12/gal.  Where is that $ coming from?  2 stores have the fuel in the parking lot to use, but the store I am at does not.  Not sure if the GF Hornbacher's does this as well.

I would venture to guess it's either mainly Holiday, or all Holiday footing the bill on that arrangement.  Instead of paying at the pump and taking off, the coupon makes you go inside the Holiday store to pay, and they're hoping to sell confections to you once you step inside.    

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I would venture to guess it's either mainly Holiday, or all Holiday footing the bill on that arrangement.  Instead of paying at the pump and taking off, the coupon makes you go inside the Holiday store to pay, and they're hoping to sell confections to you once you step inside.    

Here's hoping the long walk inside wasn't the cause of your demise Abe. :-)

15 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

With bigger volumes, a gasoline outlet gets lower prices from a distributor.  Here in TN, grocery chains like Food City and Kroger have gas stores owned by the chains right in the grocery store parking lot, and they offer bigger discounts than Hornbachers/Holiday, and their gas lines are seemingly always full. 

Hornbachers in Grand Forks also offers the Holiday discount, at least it did during the Holidays.

10 hours ago, johnsowe said:

1.77 at the airport in MSP but it changes everyday

That is the one thing that I have noticed since I moved down to the Cities from GF.  Have a gas station that is down the street that has changed its price 3 times in the past 4 days!

I'm used to that in a month in GF!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...