SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Gophers the 2014 Championship Edition

Vegas_Sioux

I'm reading in a lot of places that UND doesn't have the offensive firepower that Minnesota has, Minnesota is the heavy favorite, and one stat that is often cited is UND's goal-per-game over this season. I think a more telling stat is goals-per-game since December, which was about when this team started to get healthy.

Throwing out the highest individual game goal total (9 against Miami) and lowest (0 against Denver) UND has averaged 3.2 goals-per-game over 25 games. In that same time period, again throwing out the highest (7 against RMU) and lowest (1 against Wisco) single game goal totals, the Gophers are averaging 3.09 goals-per-game over 23 games.

Even more important than goals-per-game, is goal differential. Since December, not counting the highest and lowest single games, UND is averaging 1.92 goals against, while Minnesota is allowing 1.83 goals per game.

In that time span UM played a combined 8 games against Michigan State and Penn State, the 6th and 7th lowest scoring college hockey teams in the country.

UND played 5 games against CC, the 4th lowest scoring team in the country.

UND goal differential since December: 3.2 - 1.92 = 1.28

UM goal differential since December: 3.09 - 1.83 = 1.26

I don't see a heavy favorite there at all. To me it looks like two very evenly matched teams.

• Upvote 2

I'm reading in a lot of places that UND doesn't have the offensive firepower that Minnesota has, Minnesota is the heavy favorite, and one stat that is often cited is UND's goal-per-game over this season. I think a more telling stat is goals-per-game since December, which was about when this team started to get healthy.

Throwing out the highest individual game goal total (9 against Miami) and lowest (0 against Denver) UND has averaged 3.2 goals-per-game over 25 games. In that same time period, again throwing out the highest (7 against RMU) and lowest (1 against Wisco) single game goal totals, the Gophers are averaging 3.09 goals-per-game over 23 games.

Even more important than goals-per-game, is goal differential. Since December, not counting the highest and lowest single games, UND is averaging 1.92 goals against, while Minnesota is allowing 1.83 goals per game.

In that time span UM played a combined 8 games against Michigan State and Penn State, the 6th and 7th lowest scoring college hockey teams in the country.

I don't see a heavy favorite there at all. To me it looks like two very evenly matched teams.

Facts, stats, and logical explanation......You know that Gopher fans don't use that type of information when formulating opinions!! :)

Good writing Goon we mostly feel the same way - I don't know if I'm even responding in the right thread thurs better get here soon

One of the comments on the Wilderness blog was some Rodent fan upset because of the flood of UND fans. :)

^ I like this guy :)

stoneySIOUX, I've been enjoying your top 10 immensely. But I do take issue with a statement in your most recent post. That photo you note is an awfully good one, but the best one is the one I use as my avatar on this site. :)

While that is a very good photo, I respectfully disagree. Who cares? Both are amazing lol.

I was at that game on the Cardinal's sideline working security. As a Packer fan I rejoiced!!!

Awesome!

I still remember that moment vividly. I believe GB needed to beat Denver at the same time to get in. I proudly showed the next days headline to all the purple fans I could find..."From 6-0 to no go." haha and then GB gave Poole a key to the city.

I'm not sure how one would rate the quality of opponents for each since Dec. That has to count.

so how does mrs. sin bin get to travel with the team? didn't know she was apart of it.

For the most part the immediate family members of athletic teams travel with the team for events like this. When the Giants last went to the World Series the giants chartered 2 United 747's to bring the team the front office and the support staff and their families between San Francisco and Detroit.

This is a good article that gets skin deep on the rivalry. It is really awesome that this rivalry gets national coverage. I don't know about you but I woke up this morning and felt that level of anticipation ratchet up a notch. one little blurb in there does bug me a little. Grant Potulny is NOT from Grand Forks but East Grand Forks and as a North Dakotan, I don't claim him. Don't get me wrong there are a bunch of great Minnesotans, Parise, Oshie, Finley, Gleason, but he is not a great Minnesotan

You are very wrong....grant is from gf not EGF

This has been requested over the past week or so, and it's definitely one of my top Gopher - Sioux games. So watch it while it's still up, but remember the gophers go even with us in the NCAA playoffs. (Nonetheless this game is priceless)

This has been requested over the past week or so, and it's definitely one of my top Gopher - Sioux games. So watch it while it's still up, but remember the gophers go even with us in the NCAA playoffs. (Nonetheless this game is priceless)

Amazing how LaPanta showed his true feelings