SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

31 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes Faison might have said that but he has been neutered by the kenndey so his word doesn't mean much...til I hear kenndey say that the NSIC is NOT an option, it is still an option imo...

I guess they could drop mens hockey too.  Until I hear Kennedy say it is NOT an option, it is still an option, according to your logic!!;)

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I guess they could drop mens hockey too.  Until I hear Kennedy say it is NOT an option, it is still an option, according to your logic!!;)

like kennedy said...anything is on the table...maybe after he has his true numbers (not the ones that have been cooked) and it shows the men's hockey team loses 4 million a year he decides they should drop down to club level...anything is possible.

39 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

like kennedy said...anything is on the table...maybe after he has his true numbers (not the ones that have been cooked) and it shows the men's hockey team loses 4 million a year he decides they should drop down to club level...anything is possible.

I thought siouxvolley was the only one who lived "out where the buses don't go".

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

I thought siouxvolley was the only one who lived "out where the buses don't go".

but what if kennedy lives out there too...doesn't he have 100% power to drop whatever sports are needed to make the shortfall go away...also doesn't he have 100% to say we are going to the WAC and going FBS or on the flip side say we are going the d2 route and joining the NSIC?

49 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but what if kennedy lives out there too...doesn't he have 100% power to drop whatever sports are needed to make the shortfall go away...also doesn't he have 100% to say we are going to the WAC and going FBS or on the flip side say we are going the d2 route and joining the NSIC?

The alumni would revolt and he'd be fired before we drop to D2.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The alumni would revolt and he'd be fired before we drop to D2.

just like the nickname went to an alumni vote how do you think a vote would go if you had two choices mailed out...stay d1 fcs and drop a few sports or go d2 and maintain all sports currently sponsored....as shocked as I was with hawks winning I wouldn't be shocked if the vote said d2..

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes Faison might have said that but he has been neutered by the kenndey so his word doesn't mean much...til I hear kenndey say that the NSIC is NOT an option, it is still an option imo...

I haven't heard either of them rule out the Big10 or Pac12.  Until I hear that, it's in the table. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Direct quote from Faison:

"My understanding from the president is that we want to be Division I and be competitive in Division I," Faison said.

So it has been made clear that D2 is not an option by multiple people, including the president telling the AD that. Can we put that to bed now?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Since FU and BU joined there have been eight (8) different instances of a school joining or leaving. Eight. 

That is about as stable as my 93 yo grandpa walking on his wooden leg. 

NDSU, USD, SDSU, and Omaha just recently joined in the last 10 years and the are not going anywhere.  Doesn't make sense to go anywhere else.  Western Illinois has been in the league since 1982, so they are a not really a flight risk either.  Also, IUPUI has been there for nealry 20 years as well.  I would consider those 6 schools as pretty stable schools that aren't going to leave the Summit anytime soon.  If you add UND in there, thats 7 of the 10 schools that I think would be a pretty low flight risk to bolt to another conference.  So sure, the Summit has had its defections in the past decade, but moving forward they actully are looking pretty stable.  Adding UND only solidifies that.  

28 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Since FU and BU joined there have been eight (8) different instances of a school joining or leaving. Eight. 

That is about as stable as my 93 yo grandpa walking on his wooden leg. 

Well, in that same time frame, the Big Sky has added 4 teams and two affiliates in football.  So is the Big Sky unstable?  A few more have left the Summit than the Big Sky, but there are more options for conferences from the mid US eastward.  There are no options in the west other than Pac-12 and MWC, both of which are FBS. The Summit has focused on the upper Midwest for the most part, and with the Dakota schools in there, has/will become much more stable.  For the record, I'm happy in the Big Sky.  I just think the majority of UND fans are interested in being in the same conference as the other Dakota schools. And do to budget issues, UND joining the Summit maybe a real possibility.  

Schools that have been in the Summit every year since 2000:  2, Western Illinois and IUPUI

Schools that have been in the Big Sky every year since 2000 (actually since 1996): 8, Idaho St, Montana, Montana St, Weber St, Northern Ariz, Eastern Wash, Sac St, Portland St

With Idaho returning, the Big Sky will have 5 of its 6 original members (started in 1963).  Only Western is an original member of the Summit.

Seemingly, with a core of the 4 Dakota schools and UNO, the Summit's stability is much improved.  However, UNO and the South Dakota schools are within the footprint of other conferences, notably the MVC.  How long would it take them to bolt if the MVC came calling?  So I don't buy the Dakota schools staying together forever. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Schools that have been in the Summit every year since 2000:  2, Western Illinois and IUPUI

Schools that have been in the Big Sky every year since 2000 (actually since 1996): 8, Idaho St, Montana, Montana St, Weber St, Northern Ariz, Eastern Wash, Sac St, Portland St

With Idaho returning, the Big Sky will have 5 of its 6 original members (started in 1963).  Only Western is an original member of the Summit.

Seemingly, with a core of the 4 Dakota schools and UNO, the Summit's stability is much improved.  However, UNO and the South Dakota schools are within the footprint of other conferences, notably the MVC.  How long would it take them to bolt if the MVC came calling?  So I don't buy the Dakota schools staying together forever. 

The MVC is not looking to add any schools.  Especially smaller market (by comparison) schools like the Dakota schools.  I think the chances of any of the Dakota schools joining the MVC is pretty slim.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

At this point, I think the best possible move is to try to be a football only affiliate in the Big Sky, and move to the Summit for everything else.  Not the ideal situation, but given the budget issues, it is the best option and prevents us from having to cut any more sports (and may actually bringing back baseball).  

That's what I'm hearing as well...the travel costs are a big factor in the $1.4 mil deficit...

7 hours ago, dmksioux said:

Well, in that same time frame, the Big Sky has added 4 teams and two affiliates in football.  So is the Big Sky unstable?  A few more have left the Summit than the Big Sky, but there are more options for conferences from the mid US eastward.  There are no options in the west other than Pac-12 and MWC, both of which are FBS. The Summit has focused on the upper Midwest for the most part, and with the Dakota schools in there, has/will become much more stable.  For the record, I'm happy in the Big Sky.  I just think the majority of UND fans are interested in being in the same conference as the other Dakota schools. And do to budget issues, UND joining the Summit maybe a real possibility.  

This! 

• Downvote 2

The ideal candidate for The Slummit League needs to have both baseball and men's soccer, as a conference without football must sponsor two other men's team sports besides basketball.  UND can become an ideal candidate if it starts up baseball again and starts men's soccer for the first time and drops football.  Guess that is what the Slummit backers here want?

Slummit men's soccer has seven members, as Eastern Illinois is an affiliate.  Baseball only has six members.  The ideal candidate for the Slummit is SIU-E, which has DI national championships in men's soccer, but is an affiliate of the MVC in that sport.  But it seems to prefer the OVC as it's conference because it doesn't want travel to the Dakotas.  The OVC is a bus league.

Lindenwood might be another option, as it has umpteen sports including ones the Slummit is desperate for, but it is DII in everything but women's hockey.

At last year's Frozen Four, Kennedy was hosted by Schafer at a game suite.  Certainly Schafer shared UND's confidential strategic plans with Kennedy.  Within days, Schafer announced that baseball and mens golf were being dropped.  Hardly think that brilliant business minds like those two would have dropped baseball, which is vital for the Slummit if they had any intention of moving there.  Dropping baseball was a way to send a message to the Slummit to drop dead.qq  The men aren't morons as people here with no logical processing capability assume.  Kennedy's announcement of more sports cuts will force us into the WAC, as that is what Schafer and Kennedy planned all along.  With the WAC, an FBS upgrade is certain later on.  Just waiting on the Montanas, Idaho, EWU, and Wichita St saying they are WAC bound.

The XDSU's now have a legitimate route to full membership with the MVC when Wichita St and Mo St get FBS offers.  Don't kid ourselves that the Slummit wouldn't lose more members even in our backyards.  The MVC would be the new Slummit, as UNI would be the premiere program when Mo St and Wichita St leave.  Milwaukee and Valpo and even UMKC would be looked at, but without Wichita St the MVC practically equals the Slummit.

UND leadership knows that a Slummit future is a dead end for all non hockey sports, unlike the Herald.  A new realigned WAC with a footprint in the plains and Northern Rockies is the way to go and eventually rebirth an FBS league.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The XDSU's now have a legitimate route to full membership with the MVC when Wichita St and Mo St get FBS offers.  Don't kid ourselves that the Slummit wouldn't lose more members even in our backyards.  The MVC would be the new Slummit, as UNI would be the premiere program when Mo St and Wichita St leave.  Milwaukee and Valpo and even UMKC would be looked at, but without Wichita St the MVC practically equals the Slummit.

UND leadership knows that a Slummit future is a dead end for all non hockey sports, unlike the Herald.  A new realigned WAC with a footprint in the plains and Northern Rockies is the way to go and eventually rebirth an FBS league.  

Which "future" WAC school is a bus trip?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Which "future" WAC school is a bus trip?

That doesn't matter to Kennedy.  Has he imposed a travel allowance for ATHLETICS?  When he does, let everyone know.

What he and Schafer want is a bonafide comprehensive research oriented confernce.  Neither the Big Sky nor the Slummit fit that academic requirement.

Affiliating with NMSU, UTRGV, UMKC, Wichita St and maybe Denver in addition to the Montanas and Idaho get university presidents all horned up in a way that Sac St, a Weber St and S Utah never can.

I sure am hoping that it is some freak coincidence that the future Big Sky Conference football games have apparently been removed from future schedules on UNDsports.com going past 2017.  Previously, they were there through 2019.

It would be extremely unfortunate if the talk of leaving the Big Sky Conference actually came to fruition.  Sadly, North Dakota hasn't done a heck of a lot right with this move to Division I, save for getting into the Big Sky, that was a Grand Slam............

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I sure am hoping that it is some freak coincidence that the future Big Sky Conference football games have apparently been removed from future schedules on UNDsports.com going past 2017.  Previously, they were there through 2019.

It would be extremely unfortunate if the talk of leaving the Big Sky Conference actually came to fruition.  Sadly, North Dakota hasn't done a heck of a lot right with this move to Division I, save for getting into the Big Sky, that was a Grand Slam............

Well Idaho is coming into the league in 2018 for football, so they will be changed anyways depending on how they set up the divisions.