SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Haven't the summit schools had more success in the NCAA tournament recently, as compared to the Big Sky? I'm not expert on basketball, I just don't understand why there is so much hate on the Summit.

I'm not too partial either way. I like the Big Sky, because it is what I have know over the past few years. Starting to recognize the teams and the players more, but that would happen with a new league as well. I certainly like the ideas of being with the other Dakota schools. Like I said, I'm pretty impartial either way, just don't understand why people hate on the Summit, MVFC certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. Despite the fact that we all get sick of hearing how amazing they are, they are a very solid conference.

But it was fun to see them get punched in the mouth last week with USD, SDSU and UNI all losing to Sky teams.

• Upvote 1

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Haven't the summit schools had more success in the NCAA tournament recently, as compared to the Big Sky? I'm not expert on basketball, I just don't understand why there is so much hate on the Summit.

I'm not too partial either way. I like the Big Sky, because it is what I have know over the past few years. Starting to recognize the teams and the players more, but that would happen with a new league as well. I certainly like the ideas of being with the other Dakota schools. Like I said, I'm pretty impartial either way, just don't understand why people hate on the Summit, MVFC certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. Despite the fact that we all get sick of hearing how amazing they are, they are a very solid conference.

Yea setting all bias aside The MVFC is pretty solid and always seems to rank pretty high in conference rankings.  I would not mind joining the other Dakota schools just for the fact that the rivalries are more fun imo.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Yea setting all bias aside The MVFC is pretty solid and always seems to rank pretty high in conference rankings.  I would not mind joining the other Dakota schools just for the fact that the rivalries are more fun imo.

Aren't all of the MVFC games on ESPN3 too? That would be a nice feature over Eversports. Not sure why the Sky doesn't try to negotiate into that type of a deal. That would have been a better announcement than their stupid app.

26 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

I have to agree.  Being with USD, SDSU and NDSU > staying in the Big Sky.   I would miss, however, being in the same conference as Montana and Montana State. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

In what world are Bemidji, Mankato, and Tech better competition?  Bemidji and Mankato are also far from traditional rivals.

bemidji made to to the frozen four recently and tech has been highly ranked a few times and according to mankatos application to the nchc their d-men skate really well...that is more than can be said for western and miami has sucked bad for a couple years now...

bemidji and mankato are regional / traditional rivals...much much more so than western and miami

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bemidji made to to the frozen four recently and tech has been highly ranked a few times and according to mankatos application to the nchc their d-men skate really well...that is more than can be said for western and miami has sucked bad for a couple years now...

bemidji and mankato are regional / traditional rivals...much much more so than western and miami

Oh you're just comparing to the 2 CCHA schools, not the entire NCHC.  I like having legitimate universities in our conference rather than glorified community colleges, but I understand some don't care about that.  Carry on.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Oh you're just comparing to the 2 CCHA schools, not the entire NCHC.  I like having legitimate universities in our conference rather than glorified community colleges, but I understand some don't care about that.  Carry on.

i wouldn't call michigan tech a community college

25 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I think there is a good chance of going to the Summit to save costs.  This is a close call for me.  I don't feel good about leaving the BSC.

If the Big Sky lets UND become a football only member, I think a move to the Summit for all other sports is inevitable.  The travel costs would save thousands.

16 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If the Big Sky lets UND become a football only member, I think a move to the Summit for all other sports is inevitable.  The travel costs would save thousands.

I think you are right.  A done deal.  I would rather stay Big Sky but the writing is on the wall.  Football only for the Big Sky.

On 9/21/2016 at 10:18 PM, SiouxVolley said:

It's Montana State homecoming this weekend and their President Cruzado has a lot of support for any decision she makes.  Would make sense that it would be announced for MSU's homecoming.  Engstrom at Montana doesn't seem to have near the support.

Cruzado was probably the ringleader to revive the WAC.

Rather strange the Big Sky Commissioner Williams was here last week to celebrate the Potato Bowl.  If she was really worried about losing UND, she would have meeting during weekdays, and not waste her time at the Potato Bowl.  She wanted to know UND better.  Think she'll be the WAC commissioners, and the current WAC commissioner Hurd will swap places with her for the Big Sky commish.

Guess that wasnt the announcement.

21 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

you think the crowds are bad on a thursday night the betty against montana...imagine the roaring crowds against the mastdons of iupuipu of indiana????  that will cost moe than "thousands"

• Upvote 1