SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

The bolded part is the key reason.  How long would the bump in attendance last for UND if they opened a new stadium?

It has lasted for 15 years and running for the Ralph.  Depends on a lot of factors.

UNH apparently sells tickets to tailgate, and that's how they got over 20k.  The stadium already had a game with 13k.  No way was the overflow 11k this time, as their berms couldn't hold that number.

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Alerus opened the same year.  The new sell wares off pretty quick if you don't win.

Attendance jumped way up when the Alerus became the new venue.  Memorial would have some big games, but generally the Alerus has out performed Memorial even through the rough years.

In the latest Alumni Review, one thing that struck me was almost all recent grads appeared to have jobs in ND.  Twenty and more years ago, there was a wholesale flocking of grads to MSP, PHX, and DEN.  Before that LAX was popular.  With more jobs in ND that pay well, there has to be entertainment options in the fall and winter.  UND football should tap into that more, like hockey does.

On 9/29/2016 at 4:55 PM, bison73 said:

They are throwing poop up against the wall just like he does.

bahaha, not sure why, but this had me laughing pretty good. Maybe I'm feeling juvenile at the moment, maybe because its Monday and I really needed a laugh, or maybe it is just because you said poop.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Alerus opened the same year.  The new sell wares off pretty quick if you don't win.

Attendance has been on the increase after hitting rock bottom during the Muss years. Winning 3 games twice in his era still stings.

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

losing to sioux falls university was the rock bottom....

That game was 7 years ago, and still hurts.  I don't know what is worse going 3-8 in 2010, and 2013 or losing to Sioux Falls in 2009. I would say Sioux Falls.

So although 8 sports are being looked at to axe, the remaining total must be 16.  Most of these sports like tennis and golf don't cost much, so there is not going to be a big savings.  BUT the important fact is is that 16 sports will be saved, which is the FBS minimum.  If we were intent at being an FCS power, why not cut it to 14 sports?

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So although 8 sports are being looked at to axe, the remaining total must be 16.  Most of these sports like tennis and golf don't cost much, so there is not going to be a big savings.  BUT the important fact is is that 16 sports will be saved, which is the FBS minimum.  If we were intent at being an FCS power, why not cut it to 14 sports?

Herald article said the plan is to cut 2 to get to 18, 17 if men's golf fails to raise enough $. Haven't seen any talk of the 16 minimum. 

32 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Herald article said the plan is to cut 2 to get to 18, 17 if men's golf fails to raise enough $. Haven't seen any talk of the 16 minimum. 

The article says 16, 17, and 18 sports are what the athletic department needs to prepare scenarios for.

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Interesting that Montana States new AD just sent an email stating that in the next 100 days, MSU will have strategic announcements that will shape MSU's goals for the next five years.  To me it's being a full FBS member in the WAC.

They already pull over 53% of their athletic budget from school/student subsidies. I'd be willing to wager it is not.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Interesting that Montana States new AD just sent an email stating that in the next 100 days, MSU will have strategic announcements that will shape MSU's goals for the next five years.  To me it's being a full FBS member in the WAC.

Not meaning to be a jerk or anything, but absolutely none of you previous FBS predictions have come true.  I don't know where you get your information or the confidence to make predictions about schools moving up to FBS, but after being wrong so many times, how are people supposed to take you seriously?

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Here's the memo:
http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2016/10/4/general-a-letter-from-the-a-d-october-04-2016.aspx

53 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

That's not what I got from the email.

They still haven't finished the football stadium. They could announce the plans for a IPF like UNDs. They way Montana State has been building a new arena could also be in the works.

You will just move the date of this New WAC FBS again like you have in the last year or two, but then again the new CFP deal doesn't get renewed until 2026. 

You keep bring up how the P5 wants more G5 FBS schools in other message boards. But it has been known that the P5 want to play just P5 teams. The P5 doesn't want to spend money if they don't have to, so these money games will slowly go away and the B1G is leading the push for 10 conference games.

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not meaning to be a jerk or anything, but absolutely none of you previous FBS predictions have come true.  I don't know where you get your information or the confidence to make predictions about schools moving up to FBS, but after being wrong so many times, how are people supposed to take you seriously?

I've been wrong about the timing, but right about the substance all along.

Kennedy wouldn't cut sports or preannouce a conference change if he wanted in the Slummit.  The WAC is the only logical next step.  A self respecting FCS President will do anything possible.to get to FBS, provided they have funding.  That's just the way it is, because FCS doesn't buy much status compared to FBS.

Kennedy has already stated he wants UND to be the premiere university of the Northern Plains.  FBS will be a huge part of that.

This hasn't been planned recently, but even before UND got a Big Sky invite.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

I've been wrong about the timing, but right about the substance all along.

Kennedy wouldn't cut sports or preannouce a conference change if he wanted in the Slummit.  The WAC is the only logical next step.  A self respecting FCS President will do anything possible.to get to FBS, provided they have funding.  That's just the way it is, because FCS doesn't buy much status compared to FBS.

Kennedy has already stated he wants UND to be the premiere university of the Northern Plains.  FBS will be a huge part of that.

This hasn't been planned recently, but even before UND got a Big Sky invite.

In a time where UND has a multi million dollar deficit and in the process of cutting more sports, how is UND supposed to increase their athletic budget by millions of dollars when they are in the red by over 2 million dollars?!

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In a time where UND has a multi million dollar deficit and in the process of cutting more sports, how is UND supposed to increase their athletic budget by millions of dollars when they are in the red by over 2 million dollars?!

As stated numerous times but am not believed, UND will be donated a new on campus stadium remodel that will drastically increase revenue and attendance.

Half of FCS teams moving to FBS had major projects to accomplish it.  It's not as unheard of as the board seems to think.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

That makes zero sense. The athletic department has a budget deficit and has to make further cuts along with the rest of the school. UND has too many sports and is spread to thin. Regardless of what they do, sports were going to be cut because of the budget issue (and it should have been done probably a decade ago).

A self-respecting president, regardless of division, will give his school the best chance to succeed, which is what Kennedy's stated goal is and why sports are being cut. There are plenty of schools at the FCS level and below that have more status than a ton of FBS schools. Being in makeshift WAC conference with a bunch of schools no one has heard of doesn't automatically earn you more prestige than being in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

No inside info ...but hope UND does go FBS.....it does add status to a university...and I think Kennedy wants that for the 'flagship'...Hockey is nice, locally, but in the grand scheme....pretty nongrattus....UND being FBS might balance the media/blog bias which hockey now enjoys.....It's getting like the UND hockey crowd is as obnoxious as the Bison football following......"Fair and balanced".....where have I heard that one??????