SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is there a difference between liberty and baylor when it comes to their relgious activities?  seems like you never hear anything about baylor but if someone says liberty is a candidate for fbs they say oooohhh their a bunch of reglious bigots???

Liberty is one of the most religiously extreme schools in the US. They just ban certain scientific teachings that go against their religious beliefs. Bringing up evolution on that campus is almost as horrendous as a white girl wearing a beauty facial mask at UND. 

17 hours ago, dakotadan said:

Your troll trolling is slacking these days. You used to be much better! 

You seriously think I'm Trolling?  Get a clue.

Liberty offered the Sun Belt $10 million smackers for an FBS bid.  Liberty wants FBS badly, has a stadium for it, has an emerging fan base, and could scrape together a religious network for its games.

If Liberty offered the WAC that type of money, it would be difficult to turn down.

FCS Presidents are desperate for an FBS bid now, provided they have the stadium built or donated.  The next CFP contract could be huge, talking $3 mill per G5 school, especially if the CFP goes to eight teams or more.  The P5 may profit even more.  That huge payout might not materialize, but it's worth the risk, especially when FBS publicity is taken into account, which is worth much much more than FCS or hockey.  The CFP is still in its infancy, just like the Super Bowl fifty years ago.   If you understand the money side, one understands how University Presidents think.

The WAC doesn't need to be an FBS league again until after 2020, probably 2022, when the TV and Internet bids for CFP's are submitted.

The P5 has already effectively split off, but the crumbs for the G5 will be much larger later.

First off, I don't know if UND will go FBS or not, but I do agree with Sioux Volley on one account.  FBS status, prestige and publicity will do more for UND athletics than "FCS or hockey".....On the national scheme of things, collegiate hockey does not rate high...In fact ESPN  coverage of the post season is referred to as NCAA Ice Hockey tournament...to let people know which kind of collegiate hockey they are viewing....I do like hockey at the high school, college and pro levels...but it is not real mainstream with the majority of the US.....

On 9/25/2016 at 10:00 PM, SiouxVolley said:

I've been waiting on you trolls to say how Liberty is going to get an invite to FBS in a few months.  Still waiting ...

You don't have an answer so you accuse me of being full of it, when you just hate anything UND related.

Your post was about Liberty Einstein. Not UND

Dont care if they get invited.

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2016 at 7:00 PM, SiouxVolley said:

No comments on how Liberty will go FBS?  The only foreseeable way that Liberty could get an FBS bid within months is the WAC, and somehow that isn't news here.  

Forgive me for being right all along, when the trolls and naysayers said I was full of it.

What were you right about?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You seriously think I'm Trolling?  Get a clue.

Liberty offered the Sun Belt $10 million smackers for an FBS bid.  Liberty wants FBS badly, has a stadium for it, has an emerging fan base, and could scrape together a religious network for its games.

If Liberty offered the WAC that type of money, it would be difficult to turn down.

FCS Presidents are desperate for an FBS bid now, provided they have the stadium built or donated.  The next CFP contract could be huge, talking $3 mill per G5 school, especially if the CFP goes to eight teams or more.  The P5 may profit even more.  That huge payout might not materialize, but it's worth the risk, especially when FBS publicity is taken into account, which is worth much much more than FCS or hockey.  The CFP is still in its infancy, just like the Super Bowl fifty years ago.   If you understand the money side, one understands how University Presidents think.

The WAC doesn't need to be an FBS league again until after 2020, probably 2022, when the TV and Internet bids for CFP's are submitted.

The P5 has already effectively split off, but the crumbs for the G5 will be much larger later.

You just keep moving the goalposts don't you!! 

• Upvote 3

The latest in this soap opera:
http://lmtribune.com/sports/emails-show-spear-wanted-to-delay-big-sky-announcement/article_8ab06486-6f3f-54a0-b263-64fbc6358453.html 

It's a subscription site. I found the article on another site. Do NOT post that full article here. Some excerpts: 

The email records also reveal an interesting conversation between (Idaho AD Rob) Spear and Western Athletic Conference commissioner Jeff Hurd, where Hurd broaches the possibility of reviving the WAC as a football league.

"Rob: Have you had an opportunity to speak with your President regarding football and whether or not he believes the idea of other Big Sky institutions moving to the FBS level could have any legs?" Hurd wrote. "Although (former Big Sky commissioner) Doug Fullerton had interest, one of my concerns is that the new Commissioner might consider it too much of a risk to have on his/her plate right shortly after being hired."

Spear replied: "Jeff, do you have time for a call? I don't want to respond via email...FOIA."...

However, in an email reply addressed to another recipient, Spear wrote: "It may be time to get the WAC to take 6 football schools and form an FBS league. It would certainly save the WAC!" ... 

Last week, Spear clarified that the WAC would need eight members to become an FBS league and six to become an FCS league.

It's an interesting read. I'm sure somewhere SiouxVolley is smirking. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

http://lmtribune.com/sports/emails-show-spear-wanted-to-delay-big-sky-announcement/article_8ab06486-6f3f-54a0-b263-64fbc6358453.html 

It's a subscription site. I found the article on another site. Do NOT post that full article here. Some excerpts: 

when were these emails sent...do they have a date?

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

when were these emails sent...do they have a date?

Nothing specific, but context of the Lewiston (ID) Tribune article indicates they were all in the first six months of 2016 as they were all leading up to Idaho's decision to go FCS in the BSC. 

That piece makes it sound like there is not enough support for an FBS conference. And, with SV's cobbled-together band of misfits it feels like UND would be better off in the <choke> Summit than in thE reformed WAC with Liberty, UTRGV, et al. Now I will go wash my mouth out with soap. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, zonadub said:

That piece makes it sound like there is not enough support for an FBS conference. And, with SV's cobbled-together band of misfits it feels like UND would be better off in the <choke> Summit than in thE reformed WAC with Liberty, UTRGV, et al. Now I will go wash my mouth out with soap. 

guarantee you that spear is still working to find 8 schools out west that want to revive the WAC FBS....and when people talk about all the extra schollies needed be too costly... if all eight schools agree to limit them to x amount of schollies (like the MAC does i think) it wouldn't be as expensive as people make it out to be...

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

They are throwing poop up against the wall just like he does.

18 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Fullerton had already said he couldnt sell it so thats why he backed off.

22 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

guarantee you that spear is still working to find 8 schools out west that want to revive the WAC FBS....and when people talk about all the extra schollies needed be too costly... if all eight schools agree to limit them to x amount of schollies (like the MAC does i think) it wouldn't be as expensive as people make it out to be...

The MAC does not impose football scholarship limits. 

Strange that a hockey school, UNH, can open a new stadium for Homecoming and attract nearly 22k for a game against William and Mary.  It's old stadium only seated 6k, and they averaged well below that number in previous years.

If UNH can increase attendance big time, why can't UND?

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2016 at 1:32 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Strange that a hockey school, UNH, can open a new stadium for Homecoming and attract nearly 22k for a game against William and Mary.  It's old stadium only seated 6k, and they averaged well below that number in previous years.

If UNH can increase attendance big time, why can't UND?

The bolded part is the key reason.  How long would the bump in attendance last for UND if they opened a new stadium?