SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

5 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Why does it matter if they are paid for that? Can't say I've ever watched a woman's athletic event on TV for more than 5 minutes.

Cause outside of softball and track NDSU hasn't had a good women's program for sometime.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Why does it matter if they are paid for that? Can't say I've ever watched a woman's athletic event on TV for more than 5 minutes.

Ndsu wouldn't be paid to show those sports on TV and neither is UND.  UND gave up $$ in order to get exposure for those teams.  How much?  No idea, but it renders the comparisons between UND's and ndsu's media deals pretty useless.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Ndsu wouldn't be paid to show those sports on TV and neither is UND.  UND gave up $$ in order to get exposure for those teams.  How much?  No idea, but it renders the comparisons between UND's and ndsu's media deals pretty useless.

So you are saying Midco won the rights to televise NDSU Mens BB, Womens BB and Volleyball by requiring the least amount that NDSU has to pay to get them shown? I don't quite get what you are trying to say. UND got $285,000 per year to have all of their sports shown. NDSU got $400,000 for football only from KVLY and my guess is they didn't have to pay Midco to get them to take the rights to BB and Volleyball. I would even go out on a limb and say they are getting some money from Midco. Are you saying NDSU is paying Midco at least $100,000 grand a year to get them to air their games?

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You are closer than you probably thought. Midco is paying NDSU a guaranteed $37,500 total for 3 years to cover the games.

Is Midco providing the cameramen, commentators, and equipment?  And is Midco going to run a weekly show focusing on those sports?  If so, that's a pretty good deal for FU.

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Is Midco providing the cameramen, commentators, and equipment?  And is Midco going to run a weekly show focusing on those sports?  If so, that's a pretty good deal for FU.

It's tough to tell because the proposal states they will produce and air all home men's and women's game if awarded the football contract, which they weren't. Coaches show was a separate part but included. Doesn't state much on the rest, but I assume it was also included. I'm not sure how Midco's actual contract changed since they didn't get the football contract.

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yes they will provide all of the production stuff.  They also will produce a weekly NDSU sports show.  I don't believe it will be a basketball specific show as that's only four games worth of content each week at the most.  They'll pull in football highlights and some other winter sports once the football team is done playing for the year on November 19th :)

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

Yes they will provide all of the production stuff.  They also will produce a weekly NDSU sports show.  I don't believe it will be a basketball specific show as that's only four games worth of content each week at the most.  They'll pull in football highlights and some other winter sports once the football team is done playing for the year on November 19th :)

Oooooh ... that last part is naughty and will upset the NDSUers around here. But me likey-likey just the same. :D

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

So it's a really good deal for FU. Another +1 for Faison. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's on statewide, just not free OTA television. 

https://www.midco.com/about/service-areas/ 

I understand that.  Midcos coverage is limited vs NBC or PPTV is what I was getting at.  

I don't have cable in Fargo so I use NCHC tv.  That's why I ask the question and think it needs to get considered if one truly wants to try and compare the deals.  

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

Common knowledge Midco wasn't going to get the contract unless they were the highest bidder by a lot.

It was Forum vs KVLY.

You were saying KVLY way overbid for NDSU's FB rights. It was actually pretty close. I don't have any idea what NDSU's thinking was in selecting the winning bid, but with the open records process, it would have been tough not to go with the high bidder unless they pulled something like WDAY tried. 

So Wichita St is still bound and determined to go FBS.

The American likely wouldn't take a new FBS team.

CUSA doesn't need more FBS teams.  The perfect G5 size is ten for maximizing the CFP payout.

The MWC wouldn't take a new FBS school.

Wichita would not go to the Belt or MAC, as they don't want to lower their basketball to those conference.

The MVFC wouldn't take a school that has FBS aspirations.

But Wichita State seems assured that it will get a bid, but by whom?

What is LEFT?   The WAC, if it gives Wichita St a football only spot.

http::/www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article98889902.html

The WSU President is OK with being an FCS school for the short term.

A WAC / Big Sky realignment is a natural way to give the bloated BSC two divisions and two FCS autobids at least for a time.

A UND move to the WAC would the eliminate the need for BSC core sports, like M/W tennis, which require foreign players to be competitive, don't deliver revenue, and UND doesn't have an indoor tennis facility.

The IAC will recommend changes, but other leagues wont deal with a public committee.

I submit the WAC choice hasn't been forwarded yet, but in time.

25 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So Wichita St is still bound and determined to go FBS.

The American likely wouldn't take a new FBS team.

CUSA doesn't need more FBS teams.  The perfect G5 size is ten for maximizing the CFP payout.

The MWC wouldn't take a new FBS school.

Wichita would not go to the Belt or MAC, as they don't want to lower their basketball to those conference.

The MVFC wouldn't take a school that has FBS aspirations.

But Wichita State seems assured that it will get a bid, but by whom?

What is LEFT?   The WAC, if it gives Wichita St a football only spot.

http::/www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article98889902.html

The WSU President is OK with being an FCS school for the short term.

A WAC / Big Sky realignment is a natural way to give the bloated BSC two divisions and two FCS autobids at least for a time.

A UND move to the WAC would the eliminate the need for BSC core sports, like M/W tennis, which require foreign players to be competitive, don't deliver revenue, and UND doesn't have an indoor tennis facility.

The IAC will recommend changes, but other leagues wont deal with a public committee.

I submit the WAC choice hasn't been forwarded yet, but in time.

That was a quick month. LOL

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

While UND doesn't own it, they play indoor tennis.  And practice indoors.  GF leaders may have been shortsighted on how many courts they kept inside as it is only 6.  Hard to get court time.  But yes Big Sky tennis is a strange core sport as no one carries Americans.  Even SDSU has gone almost all foreign last I saw.

There are two articles in Omaha.com about Omaha, who lost $1.8 million last year.  But they aren't even cutting any of their 16 sports.  Their new rink lost money in its first year but their athletics overran it's budget in a number of places.  The Slummit doesn't guarantee profit, even though most of their sports had record attendance or at least record revenue with the new arena.

UND is in a smaller hole, but the Herald makes it into a huge story, as if UND athletics is collapsing.

Kennedy is making it a story so he can achieve some end that hasn't yet been revealed.  Stay tuned!

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are two articles in Omaha.com about Omaha, who lost $1.8 million last year.  But they aren't even cutting any of their 16 sports.  Their new rink lost money in its first year but their athletics overran it's budget in a number of places.  The Slummit doesn't guarantee profit, even though most of their sports had record attendance or at least record revenue with the new arena.

UND is in a smaller hole, but the Herald makes it into a huge story, as if UND athletics is collapsing.

Kennedy is making it a story so he can achieve some end that hasn't yet been revealed.  Stay tuned!

Or the end is just to move to the summit while dropping 3-4 sports.