SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Next week Montana has scheduled a press conference next week to show  a new athletic finances study.

It must be news worthy as they wouldn't schedule a press conference.

In 2011, Denver Pioneers people said the Montanas almost moved to the WAC.

Could Montana be the first to move to the WAC, which will give it the right to go FBS Later?

Idaho, Montana, and MSU seem to like UND's potential, as Idaho wanted us in the BSC or else their contract to move was void.

Those schools one would think would want to partner with NDSU to go FBS.  But instead they have chosen UND.  Maybe their President know more about UND's possible donors than we do.

A Montana move to the WAC even without FBS now would set off an earthquake in the Big Sky.

A WAC and Big Sky FCS divisions.  Divisions have been talked about by everyone in the Big Sky.  This might be the moment.

BTW, October 4th ends Rosh Hashanah, which is the end of this Jubilee year.

Corresponding, there are a lot of financial reports that the dollar may no longer be the world currency on Sept 30th.  Instead, a new world currency that has not yet been issued will replace the dollar as the key currency in the world and that currency would be issued and controlled by the IMF.  Obama wants the rest of the world to catch up, so he wont confront the IMF.  If this happens, gold could go to record levels, and US markets would see a marked reduction, especially banks.  Much of my portfolio consists of gold and silver mines, which I will sell probably next year and buy stocks that have been vastly reduced.

Back to my crazy notion here ... 

On 8/25/2016 at 3:14 PM, The Sicatoka said:

My scenario plays off SV's: ....

WAC Mountain: UM, UI, MSU, (two more west FB schools), Denver
WAC Plains: UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, (one more east FB school), Omaha

I was reading recently where the Wyoming faculty were calling for the school to move down to FCS to save money. They'd fit in nicely in one of those slots. :D

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Next week Montana has scheduled a press conference next week to show  a new athletic finances study.

Could Montana be the first to move to the WAC, which will give it the right to go FBS Later?

Idaho, Montana, and MSU seem to like UND's potential, as Idaho wanted us in the BSC or else their contract to move was void.

Those schools one would think would want to partner with NDSU to go FBS.  But instead they have chosen UND.  Maybe their President know more about UND's possible donors than we do.

A Montana move to the WAC even without FBS now would set off an earthquake in the Big Sky.

A WAC and Big Sky FCS divisions.  Divisions have been talked about by everyone in the Big Sky.  This might be the moment.

Corresponding, there are a lot of financial reports that the dollar may no longer be the world currency on Sept 30th.  Instead, a new world currency that has not yet been issued will replace the dollar as the key currency in the world and that currency would be issued and controlled by the IMF.  Obama wants the rest of the world to catch up, so he wont confront the IMF.  If this happens, gold could go to record levels, and US markets would see a marked reduction, especially banks.  Much of my portfolio consists of gold and silver mines, which I will sell probably next year and buy stocks that have been vastly reduced.

Montana is releasing a financial impact study.  In other words, it will be a press conference to talk up the impact UM has on the state and local economy.

An FCS WAC (without the current WAC schools, Sac St, and several other BSC schools) would be great.  Good luck getting the other Dakota schools to join it though.

As for the bold portion..... :blink:

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Montana is losing money and it has been a issue since last fall. Enrollment is down at Montana where Montana State has an increasing enrollment. Montana is paying someone a $70,000 bonus to increase enrollment. There is talk about adding engineering at Montana, but engineering under the University of Montana is at Montana Tech.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Back to my crazy notion here ... 

I was reading recently where the Wyoming faculty were calling for the school to move down to FCS to save money. They'd fit in nicely in one of those slots. :D

Oh, hell no.  Spoken as a Wyo alum..    Too much fun playing MWC foes.  Beat the sheep!

11 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Montana is releasing a financial impact study.  In other words, it will be a press conference to talk up the impact UM has on the state and local economy.

An FCS WAC (without the current WAC schools, Sac St, and several other BSC schools) would be great.  Good luck getting the other Dakota schools to join it though.

As for the bold portion..... :blink:

The athletic department is giving the press conference, not the econ or business or PR part of UM.  Why would the athletic department present an economic study if they didn't have some action items?

On 9/2/2016 at 11:26 PM, SiouxVolley said:

So Wichita St is still bound and determined to go FBS.

Wichita would not go to the Belt or MAC, as they don't want to lower their basketball to those conference.

The MVFC wouldn't take a school that has FBS aspirations.

But Wichita State seems assured that it will get a bid, but by whom?

What is LEFT?   The WAC, if it gives Wichita St a football only spot.

So Wichita St. is too esteemed to join MAC basketball which is consistently the #10 RPI ranked conference, but would be OK with putting it's basketball in the WAC with a bunch of Big Sky basketball schools that are horrible?? 

On 9/2/2016 at 10:26 PM, SiouxVolley said:

So Wichita St is still bound and determined to go FBS.

The American likely wouldn't take a new FBS team.

CUSA doesn't need more FBS teams.  The perfect G5 size is ten for maximizing the CFP payout.

The MWC wouldn't take a new FBS school.

Wichita would not go to the Belt or MAC, as they don't want to lower their basketball to those conference.

The MVFC wouldn't take a school that has FBS aspirations.

But Wichita State seems assured that it will get a bid, but by whom?

What is LEFT?   The WAC, if it gives Wichita St a football only spot.

http::/www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article98889902.html

The WSU President is OK with being an FCS school for the short term.

A WAC / Big Sky realignment is a natural way to give the bloated BSC two divisions and two FCS autobids at least for a time.

A UND move to the WAC would the eliminate the need for BSC core sports, like M/W tennis, which require foreign players to be competitive, don't deliver revenue, and UND doesn't have an indoor tennis facility.

The IAC will recommend changes, but other leagues wont deal with a public committee.

I submit the WAC choice hasn't been forwarded yet, but in time.

Really I read the article and didnt get that feeling.

“This is a bottom-line business decision; it’s not an affection decision,” he said. “I’m no more committed to it than I was when we first started talking about it. I’m no less committed. We’re going to walk it through as a business decision.”

I wouldnt call it bound and determined by any stretch of the imagination. But then you imagination is in play here.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The athletic department is giving the press conference, not the econ or business or PR part of UM.  Why would the athletic department present an economic study if they didn't have some action items?

I don't see Montana moving to the WAC with 6 of the current schools in it.  I also don't see the Big Sky schools left accepting those schools.  The theory blows up right there for me. 

2 hours ago, #MACtion said:

So Wichita St. is too esteemed to join MAC basketball which is consistently the #10 RPI ranked conference, but would be OK with putting it's basketball in the WAC with a bunch of Big Sky basketball schools that are horrible?? 

Have made it perfectly clear that Wichita St would want football only in the WAC and Wichita St and NMSU would want Texas teams like Sam Houston and Lamar for student and athlete recruiting.  FBS is one way to increase enrollment, which would also be important for Montana.

Wichita St sees joining the MAC as a strategic flop, and would only work out if they were a short timer like UCF, Temple, and UMass.  That is not acceptable anymore to the MAC.

There is a rumor that the WAC has been talking with Cal St - LA and Cal Baptist about membership.  Cal St - LA could have joined in any previous year, but I think  it doesn't want to join until the WAC / Big Sky realignment.  That way the furthest trips are Seattle and SLC.  Going to Edinburgh, Chicago, Las Cruces, and Kansas City don't jive with the Cal St system.

Cal Baptist can't move up for another year, but it's building an almost 6k arena in Riverside, so clearly it has some big ambitions.  Cal Baptist has climbed close to the top among DII all around sports schools after having been in NAIA before.

So if the WAC / Big Sky realign, many schools will benefit from reduced travel, both leagues would be more attractive to new members,  both league could have FCS autobids, and FBS aspirational schools would have the inside track to FBS.

In fairness to Cal St-LA, Mike Garrett, former USC star and AD, just became their AD last year.  He probably doesn't like DII much and is for an upgrade according to published reports.  A DI move is a relatively new development, but Cal St-LA would have political issues for spending on travel if it moved to a WAC with schools in the Central Time Zone.

On 9/10/2016 at 8:06 PM, SiouxVolley said:

The announced crowd at Bowling Green was 15,318.  The stands were more filled on the home side, which cameras don't show, but that total is highly questionable with the far side so bare of fans.

UND could at least replicate what BGSU has, and they won the MAC last year.

Ball St is 2-1 and only had 10,902 at home against E. Kentucky. Attendance in the MAC had been a lost cause for a long time. 

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:33 PM, BobIwabuchiFan said:

I'm hearing we are trying to back out of the Big Sky on all sports except for Football and try to find a home with the Summit league due in large part to the total costs and the severe budget shortages being experienced at UND...I think we are on the polar opposite end of having finances capable of going FBS...

"I'm hearing"

where? grama butterwicks at noon on Wednesdays?

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

"I'm hearing"

where? grama butterwicks at noon on Wednesdays?

Actually from individuals who are working the AD office...its been a very tough topic of discussion given the recent loss of the Men's Baseball team and last minute save of the Golf Program.  By the way, I remember when Grandma Butterwicks use to be Sambos!...And, no I haven't eaten there in maybe 20 yrs...

At this point, I think the best possible move is to try to be a football only affiliate in the Big Sky, and move to the Summit for everything else.  Not the ideal situation, but given the budget issues, it is the best option and prevents us from having to cut any more sports (and may actually bringing back baseball).  

• Upvote 1

This is off topic but relevant.  For years, I've been pushing a stock called Sarepta  (SRPT) to family and friends that has an anti-sense approach to treating genetic diseases at the RNA level.  Today, their first drug for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy was approved, which allows DMD kids to actually form muscle tissue and avert a death sentence and maybe live like kids with Beckers MD, a milder form that allows them a much longer life span.  The Duchenne kids would lose the ability to form any muscle tissue at age 8 and would die because their bodies would not breath and their heart couldn't hardly beat as no new Dystrophin muscle tissue would form.  The kids on this new drug are still walking after five years, which was unheard of, but the FDA bureaucrats didn't want to approve it because their study didn't have kids on placebo that died as proof that the drug worked.  Today, the kids won, which I am so thankful for.

Those that believed me and perservered have been truly blessed, as SRPT is up 80% today, and up 500% for the year, in time for the Jubilee.  

This whole topic might seem anti-sensical to this forum, but I believe there is sense in anti-sense technology.   IN this case, the Big Sky and WAC will realign and the WAC schools will have an FBS opportunity if they choose.  This will happen soon, and Kennedy is getting the IAC to approve it.  Tennis will be dropped and travel to the Southwest will no longer be conference travel.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This is off topic but relevant.  For years, I've been pushing a stock called Sarepta  (SRPT) to family and friends that has an anti-sense approach to treating genetic diseases at the RNA level.  Today, their first drug for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy was approved, which allows DMD kids to actually form muscle tissue and avert a death sentence and maybe live like kids with Beckers MD, a milder form that allows them a much longer life span.  The Duchenne kids would lose the ability to form any muscle tissue at age 8 and would die because their bodies would not breath and their heart couldn't hardly beat as no new Dystrophin muscle tissue would form.  The kids on this new drug are still walking after five years, which was unheard of, but the FDA bureaucrats didn't want to approve it because their study didn't have kids on placebo that died as proof that the drug worked.  Today, the kids won, which I am so thankful for.

Those that believed me and perservered have been truly blessed, as SRPT is up 80% today, and up 500% for the year, in time for the Jubilee.  

This whole topic might seem anti-sensical to this forum, but I believe there is sense in anti-sense technology.   IN this case, the Big Sky and WAC will realign and the WAC schools will have an FBS opportunity if they choose.  This will happen soon, and Kennedy is getting the IAC to approve it.  Tennis will be dropped and travel to the Southwest will no longer be conference travel.

Congrats on the stock pick, but as for the jubilee year stuff and thinking scoring on a stock is relevant...Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Congrats on the stock pick, but as for the jubilee year stuff and thinking scoring on a stock is relevant...Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

#

People need to develop their spiritual side to see the relationship here  ... 

The FDA should have approved it three years ago, but the intellectuals wouldnt allow it who demanded everything by the book, including deaths.  

There is sense in antisense.