SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

Big Sky Conference tweeted out an hour ago to "Be on the lookout for a big announcement coming tomorrow". If you go to all the other school websites they don't have conference football schedules past 2017 either. 

Guessing a decision on football divisions and scheduling practices going forward? A few Weber folks have been saying talks about a 9 game conference schedule

32 minutes ago, AJS said:

Big Sky Conference tweeted out an hour ago to "Be on the lookout for a big announcement coming tomorrow". If you go to all the other school websites they don't have conference football schedules past 2017 either. 

It's Montana State homecoming this weekend and their President Cruzado has a lot of support for any decision she makes.  Would make sense that it would be announced for MSU's homecoming.  Engstrom at Montana doesn't seem to have near the support.

Cruzado was probably the ringleader to revive the WAC.

Rather strange the Big Sky Commissioner Williams was here last week to celebrate the Potato Bowl.  If she was really worried about losing UND, she would have meeting during weekdays, and not waste her time at the Potato Bowl.  She wanted to know UND better.  Think she'll be the WAC commissioners, and the current WAC commissioner Hurd will swap places with her for the Big Sky commish.

9 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Best guess on divisions:

UND, UNC, UM, MSU, UI, EWU, PSU

ISU, WSU, SAC, CP, UCD, NAU, SUU

Big question is how do they decide the autobid? 

i know it kills idaho to be back with isu but do you swap unc with isu to put them in the same division...unc isn't much of a travel partner for und so with seven in each division you have one outlier (und)

Said this before:

WAC Division 

UTRGV, NMSU, UND, Montana, Mt St, Idaho, EWU, Wichita St, maybe Mo St, Sam Houston St, and Lamar get added later

UMKC and maybe Denver as non fball

No Co may bee a temporary member

Big Sky Division football

SUU, NAU, Weber St, Idaho St, Portland St, UC Davis, Sac St, Cal Poly, Dixie St later

Non football

GCU, UVU, Bakersfield, Seattle, Cal Baptist and Cal St-LA later

This is the one I was referring to.......

Conversations about UND's future in Big Sky are 'ongoing"

............the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee, has discussed the possibility of moving its athletics programs to the Summit League.

That option seems to make the most sense.

From UND's perspective, it can significantly cut down on travel costs, while reuniting with longtime North Central Conference rivals.

From the Summit League's perspective, it can move to an even 10 teams and have ideal travel partners with UND/North Dakota State and South Dakota/South Dakota State.

This discussion about going to the Summit makes me uncomfortable.  The Big Sky took us in (as an odd 13th member in football) when we needed a D1 conference.  I always thought that the Dakota schools would eventually join us in the BSC rather than us leaving BSC to join a less prestigious league (my opinion) like the Summit.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

This discussion about going to the Summit makes me uncomfortable.  The Big Sky took us in (as an odd 13th member in football) when we needed a D1 conference.  I always thought that the Dakota schools would eventually join us in the BSC rather than us leaving BSC to join a less prestigious league (my opinion) like the Summit.

Haven't the summit schools had more success in the NCAA tournament recently, as compared to the Big Sky? I'm not expert on basketball, I just don't understand why there is so much hate on the Summit.

I'm not too partial either way. I like the Big Sky, because it is what I have know over the past few years. Starting to recognize the teams and the players more, but that would happen with a new league as well. I certainly like the ideas of being with the other Dakota schools. Like I said, I'm pretty impartial either way, just don't understand why people hate on the Summit, MVFC certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. Despite the fact that we all get sick of hearing how amazing they are, they are a very solid conference.

• Upvote 3